Favorite tool(s) for pulling nails

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Favorite tool(s) for pulling nails

Post by jacob »

It's interesting to see the different solutions people have come up with, especially since there seems to be a divergence between the US and Europe for a task that should be simple. (The same thing holds for can openers!)

If you could only own one tool for pulling nails out which one would it be?

Mine would be carpenter's pincers.

suomalainen

Re: Favorite tool(s) for pulling nails

Post by suomalainen »

Objection! Leading question. There can be only one answer: "Carpenter’s Pincers are designed to grasp, cut and pull an object with significant mechanical force."

A better question is: if you don't have a tool specifically designed only for pulling nails, how would you go about digging a nail out?

Answer: flat head screwdriver and/or utility knife and a pair of pliers.

PS: European can openers are far superior to the US kind. My wife doesn't get how to use the european style, oddly enough.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Small pry-bar.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:04 pm
Small pry-bar.
Ditto. The pry-bar can get into corners better than a claw hammer. Claw hammer is second choice.

I've got carpenter's pincers, but only use them for cutting. Can't really imagine using them for pulling nails because I'm far more likely to cut the head off in the process.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, the pry bar works well even if you don't have a head, like when dealing with ancient carpet staples.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I'm confused, having lived in both the EU and US...what's the difference between US and EU can openers?
Last edited by prognastat on Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

If you don't know, you're still in the visiting stage. Show me your can-opener and I'll tell you who/what you really are! :mrgreen:

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

I have a pair of carpenter's pincers - they are my go-to nail puller. I had to pull out nails to hang new joist hangers that had rotted out - no other tool was as fast or efficient.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@prognastat - Second link doesn't work. But anyway, go to google images ...

Then try
american can opener
spain can opener
german can opener
france can opener
denmark can opener
italy can opener
russia can opener

It's the weirdest thing! On par with how different nationalities spell the sound of a rooster or a machine gun differently.
Ratatata ... dakadaka .. cock-a-doddle-do... kykkeliky... kikeriki ... wowowo ...

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

@jacob

Not sure why the second one isn't working for you. When I click on it it opens the image.

This is an image of a similar one:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Opener.jpg

Variants of the above one seem to show up in all the searches for all the different countries and is similar to what I grew up with in the Netherlands. If you go a google image search for "blik opener" the dutch words for can opener you'll see almost exclusively that kind.

Lucky C

Post by Lucky C »

Carpenter's pincers seem to conflict with the idea of having a sufficient tool for multiple uses. I have a pry bar and a claw hammer, and between the two of them they have removed all nails I have needed to remove thus far while also serving other uses. If I had gotten carpenter's pincers they would have been a waste, however perhaps in the future I will start a project that warrants them.

If you answered carpenter's pincers doesn't that mean you can't own a pry bar, claw hammer, etc.? :)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

claw hammer

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Depends on the situation. If I can get away with it I'll use a claw hammer, works pretty good for rough carpentry type things like nails in fence pickets that have popped and need replacing, and I typically have the hammer with me for the replacing part of the job. For more delicate things like nail pops in walls I have a small pry bar on which the non-pry end is bent about 90 degrees and has a small notch cut in it for that purpose. They have a specific name, maybe something like "carpentar's bar", I forget exactly. The nail pulling end is machined down to be fairly thin so in cases where the nail can't be hooked and pulled out and must actually be pried out part way there's less potential for damage to the surface it's being pulled from versus a normal claw hammer, at least when I use it. In walls I always replace popped nails with drywall screws. Never tried the pincers.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Claw hammer is my first choice. Pincers if that doesn't work. Mini pry bar for tight spots.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

A nailcutter

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-in-Preci ... wAoda34LyA

A pair of these will do most of the delicate work. I have other options, but one, or a pair of these will cover most needs, and are more versatile than pinchers.

Less delicate work is done with a backhoe! Sometimes, it's just more fun to start fresh. :twisted: