Actually getting started investing (and some analysis paralysis)

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
trfie

Re: Actually getting started investing (and some analysis paralysis)

Post by trfie »

Michael_00005 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:14 pm
  • I've done very well finding a dip and buying 2-6 weeks prior to quarterly earnings on individual stocks. Especially with stocks that have a trend to beat estimates like FB. Then sell and wait for the next Q earnings.
Did not work quite so well for FB this last time.

Michael_00005

Short term - Long term - mixed strategy

Post by Michael_00005 »

Did not work quite so well for FB this last time.
It worked great, as I sold prior to earnings. Very often I'll do this when a stock is soaring like FB did prior to earnings. But had I got caught holding onto the stock over earnings, it would simply be a hold and wait. More often it means it's time to buy more, FB is a solid company IMO. Currently I'm looking for another entry point with this one, hopefully in the next 6 weeks. For the most part I'm cash sitting out the summer.

Now if you read one of my past posts you would see I got caught holding onto GOV from Nov. 2017. The 1st of current holding position was purchased in the $17-18 range, currently it's $16. As I liked the stock when the price dropped it simply looked like a better buy, so the holding has been increased... incrementally. But this one is easy because of the nice dividend.

You don't always win with stock picks short term, or even long term... don't expect it! Only recently I started selling some of a position in a stock that dropped almost 50%, that was over two years ago. This year it's been taking off, and likely will continue to - so when the profits start to come in then it's time to shrink the position and reassess.