Hello!

Say hello!!
Berninger

Hello!

Post by Berninger »

Hi all,

I am 33 years old, from Holland, have a wife, 1 kid (3years old). Second kid is coming this september.

I have been interested in reaching FI for a while. I red the Millinaire fast lane, and red a lot of inspirational stories on MMM and on ERE.

I work 4 days per week in retail, and make about 30-40k per year. My wife works for herself and helps kids with reading problems. She makes about 10k per year.

I know it is going to be a long and difficult road, but i would love to have FI. Not sure if i would quit my job, but i would like to have the opportunity to do the kind of work i want, and when i want to work. Without having to worry about income. Furthermore i want to spent more time with my family. Also i think i would like to travel a more.

We bought a house in 2017 (298k). We had some help from parents (110k), and paid a lot with our own saved money (about 60k). Now we have a mortage left of 121k. We have about 28k left in saving acounts. This year we are going to get a bigger garden (4x6meter extra). Next year we want a newer car. (All not very ERE, i know). After that we hope to not have any big spending left, and start reaching FI asap!

I plan to post my journy to reaching FI on the ERE journy forum. If you have any tips to reach my goals faster let me know :-)!

Quadalupe

Re: Hello!

Post by Quadalupe »

Welkom hier! :-) I hope you'll find your stay here illuminating. If you want you can post your spending per month per category, so the forumites can help you see what can still be improved. Still, I think you're well off with such a small mortgage left!

Also, there are plans to have a meetup somewhere in NL this fall, see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6213&start=60.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome Berninger!

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Welcome to the forums.

Was the money from your parents a loan or a gift?

Berninger

Post by Berninger »

That was a gift. In holland parents can give up to 100k tax free if its for a house mortage

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Thats very kind of them. Definitely helps a lot since a 232k euro mortgage would be quite a bit.

Berninger

Post by Berninger »

Yes we are very happy with that. Otherwise we wouldnt have bought the house. We wanted a house nearby our family, and housing pricesa hereare very high in Holland atm.

We want to pay off our mortage as soon as possible. And at the same time also start investing a bit for passive income later on. Not sure what to invest in yet. Trying to figure that out.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Yeah, unfortunately I'm not as up to speed on investing in the Netherlands though I probably should brush up on it more to be of help to my family.