New NYT Editor, a bit bigoted?

Intended for constructive conversations. Exhibits of polarizing tribalism will be deleted.
7Wannabe5

Re: New NYT Editor, a bit bigoted?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@daylen:

Thanks. The transcript was unintelligible, so I ended up watching the whole thing. I was kind of amused that the topic of the advantage of long format vs. short format video clip came up, but nobody went to "..or people could actually choose to read a book!" :lol:

I found the part of the discussion that focused on gender issues quite interesting since I recently tested as being pretty disagreeable, but I have always thought of myself as being quite agreeable.

Jason

Post by Jason »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:49 am

Right. That is why I interjected a book written by Mark Twain into this discussion. Jason also attempted to bring more narrative into the discussion, but his reference to the characters and plot structure of "Billions" wasn't ancient enough.
If only I contextualized the left/right debate in terms of twin brothers sucking on the teat of a she-wolf, I'd have my own you tube channel.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I am hesitant to proclaim any one organization of information superior. The superiority of a particular form only has meaning in the context of how an observer constrains their behavior/attention. If for instance, the observer is attending to the relation between two opposing moral frameworks, then perhaps a dialog between two agents that embody those frameworks would be more likely to trigger insight in said observer as opposed to reading about each framework in isolation. Basically.. weak emergence.

I think it is probably quite natural to become less agreeable with age.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

It was an interesting discussion. It also prompted me to read the "Custodian of the Patriarchy" piece in the NYT. One question I would have liked to ask of the two gentlemen, especially Peterson, since like me he has adult children of both genders, would be whether or how their take on the stereotype of the aimless Millennial, still living in parent's house, underemployed, smoking pot and masturbating, would alter if adult child was a daughter rather than a son?

Jason

Post by Jason »

She's an entrepreneur, beta testing her initial product in a future line of eco-friendly female sexual stimulus products designed to fully eliminate the need for the white custodial class and therefore truly fucking the patriarchal system.
Last edited by Jason on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

I imagine Peterson would say something like "serve as a proxy in the environment of your kid based on their individual personality as opposed to their group identity".

The reason a daughter is less likely to end up in a pit is three-fold. First, women are more agreeable, so they are less likely to behave different than their peers. Second, the variance between women is lower than between men. The third reason is that women are pressured into maturing earlier due to increased neuroticism after adolescence and limited time to reproduce.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

daylen wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:48 am

The reason a daughter is less likely to end up in a pit is three-fold. First, women are more agreeable, so they are less likely to behave different than their peers. Second, the variance between women is lower than between men. The third reason is that women are pressured into maturing earlier due to increased neuroticism after adolescence and limited time to reproduce.
I don't know if that's exactly what he'd say, but what I have heard him say is that increasingly young women are outperforming young men--more do well in high school, make it to college, stay in school, graduate, and get a start in some sort of professional job. He seems to feel there's a growing cohort of young men who fail to launch. The trend seems to indicate that young women are doing the right thing and young men the wrong thing, hence the boot-on-the-ass remarks for the latter.

Regarding 7Wb5's question, were the demographic trends the reverse of what they are, it would imply a different problem which he'd probably address based on what he thought the underlying causes might be. Regarding an individual female whose behavior followed that of aimless males in her age group, I'd guess he'd look for specific issues in her situation. With the demographics tending in the opposite direction he probably wouldn't be too quick to associate it with a systemic thing.

I haven't listened to this myself, but anyone genuinely interested in what Peterson might say to young women can listen to what re recently did say to young women when he was invited to speak at the TPUSA’s Young Women’s Leadership Summit (provided one is able to tolerate the group's conservative politics).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdpkUkQyDQ

daylen

Post by daylen »

He talked about that stuff in his lecture videos.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@IlliniDave:

I was able to read that transcript. Overall, he came out with very moderate gender-dichotomy theory position. A few comments or observations relevant to young female audience were:

1) He believes very young women overestimate the importance of career and may change their mind in their 30s.
2) Studies show that women are more interested in people and men are more interested in things, so in very egalitarian realms such as Scandinavia, medicine is dominated by females and engineering is dominated by men.
3) Women shouldn't blame all men for suffering they may have incurred in relationship with one man. They should be strong enough to engage in trust.
4) The pay gap is a maternity-gap, not a gender-gap, so perhaps it would be more beneficial to focus on ameliorating the high cost of maternity for females.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Thanks, 7Wb5.

No advice for female basement lurkers covered in Cheetoh's dust it seems, sadly, though in his defense it's likely such individuals didn't make up a significant portion of his audience. :) He's usually much more nuanced when talking about the gender pay gap and doesn't chalk it up to a single variable (he usually discusses the multivariate nature of it at length). Sounds like he really didn't craft a new, different talk for the audience.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:43 am
4) The pay gap is a maternity-gap, not a gender-gap, so perhaps it would be more beneficial to focus on ameliorating the high cost of maternity for females.
just having this acknowledged in the mainstream would be huge. brute would be surprised if the majority of male human beings couldn't get behind the idea that the proliferation of the species is a somewhat reasonable goal, and that females who engage in it could be incentivized somehow.

but the current argument (78c on the $) frames it as "all men treat all women unfairly because they hate them, and no man really deserves the pay he's getting". unsurprisingly, human males do not agree to either.

brute has thought a bit about the OP. this seems like a great opportunity to show the NYT that one has a sense of humor, and not being so earnestly outraged at the "racism". brute thinks that the anti-white human tweets by the NYT author are probably crude jokes. brute makes crude jokes all the time.

brute wishes that the right could be pretty reasonable about this (several of the center right are), and just show the NYT a mirror of what they've been doing to humans who made crude jokes and didn't happen to be in the protected minority. one side has to behave like an adult first to make this better, even if the other side totally started it, mom.

Mikeallison

Post by Mikeallison »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:51 pm
one side has to behave like an adult first to make this better, even if the other side totally started it, mom.
Oh I know how that tactic goes, one side will pretend to be the "bigger person", then turn around and slug the other side in the arm when mom isn't looking.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

interesting perspective: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ng/566846/

in short, half-ironic white-bashing is a status signal in elite (often white) circles, that even non-whites perform to signal their status to the other (often white) elites.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

exactly like that.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

BRUTE, clearly the world and it's logic has passed me by. I hoped it would be another decade or two before I had to say that.

Interesting article a couple links down from the one you shared "Why is the Left so Afraid of ..." The subject NYT editor gets a mention in it as well.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jacob wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 pm
Maybe this short comment should be its own thread, but since PC/free speech come up, I leave it here.

See graphs here:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... georgetown
(you can pursue the to the original data if you don't like the messenger of the numbers)
https://heterodoxacademy.org/vox-consis ... explained/

this post claims the quoted Vox post is wrong and the author didn't actually read his sources.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

More specifically that the sample size was too small and [therefore] maybe not representative of the population.

If so, nothing can be concluded statistically --- at least not with any accuracy or precision.