I still have a dumb phone...considering a smart phone!

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Scott 2

Re: I still have a dumb phone...considering a smart phone!

Post by Scott 2 »

Smart phone is worth it. Internet connected computer in your pocket. Swipe texting. Video chat. Amazing. I regret holding out as long as I did.

I have been satisfied with Republic Wireless. Calling isn't alway great on wifi, but the bill on my grandfathered plan averages $16 a month. Talk, Text and Data. I can't stream youtube on the cell networks, but I can download netflix ahead of time.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

George the original one wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 am
prognastat wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am
I tend to buy a 1 year old model and keep it for at least 3 years, doing this means I get software updates for pretty much the entire lifetime, but don't have to spend too much.
3 yr lifespan? No wonder I have a dumb phone!
Well after that you might at most get another year of updates depending on the cellphone manufacturer, but the phone will still work after that. It just won't get software updates and after another 1-2 years apps will stop supporting the version your device is still running at which point you can't update those anymore either.

If you wanted to you could probably get 5-7 years out of a smartphone if you really stretched it. However the same cn be said for many off the shelf computers. In general a lifecycle for most computers is about 5 years give or take a few depending on the manufacturer. You can still use a 0 year old computer, but odds are you are compromising on things to keep using it.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

George the original one wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:46 am
prognastat wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am
I tend to buy a 1 year old model and keep it for at least 3 years, doing this means I get software updates for pretty much the entire lifetime, but don't have to spend too much.
3 yr lifespan? No wonder I have a dumb phone!
Yeah. You also get to avoid the:
Smartphone Owner wrote: 'scuse me, do you have an iphone charger?
Do YOU have an smartphone charger?

Hello?

Hello does... does someone have a charger?

No one?
I really need a charger, my battery is almost dead...
About 10 hours after its last charge :roll:

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, I was an early adopter of smart-phone technology, because I needed to be able to scan ISBN barcodes in order to remain competitive at book sales. I think some of you are really not kenning the possibilities for use as active tool, rather than passive toy. It really can serve as the minimalist Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman of information technology.

You don't have to do all the boring things most other people do with it; like constantly check their Facebook feed, or play silly games, or even answer it when your mother calls (again.) Actually, the audio phone function is the one I would most like to lose from my smartphone. An example of something I do like to do with my smartphone would be using it to quickly help determine what is causing the brown spots on a leaf a customer brings into the garden center, and then once again using it to help me recommend the least harmful solution. IOW, I like to use it to supplement realms where I am already somewhat smart, rather than substitute for realms where I am not smart.

Another way I like to use it is to maximize my ability to save time and money while simultaneously keeping my options open. For instance, I can decide at the last minute that I would like to pick up some paid work, confirm an assignment at a new location, compare alternate bus routes, and then I can do some coursework while chatting with my BF who is 17 time zones away while riding on the bus. If somebody were to threaten me as I walked from my bus-stop to my job assignment, I can hit instant alarm/911 call function. So, combined with a bit of common sense, it also saves me the expense/bulk of having to carry a weapon.

Also, it is very easy to charge my smartphone using my small folding solar panel, whereas if I bring my heavy cord laptop with me, I really need to find a receptacle.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

If I lived in an urban area, I'd have all those lovely social uses for a smartphone. However, it's very rural where I live and there's a much more powerful computer right here on my desk with even better, more complete apps. When I leave the house for groceries, etc, I don't miss having a computer. When I go fishing, it might be nice to have some apps or maps, but... well, there just isn't a cell signal in most of the places I fish.

One of the more remote places I visit once/twice a year (Middle Santiam Wilderness) has a 45 minute drive to obtain a cell signal!

The battery charge on our current cellphone lasts a week. I really like that.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Gtoo:

I still find it useful when I am out camping in realm without signal. I use it as a digital camera to take pictures for later identification, and I can download books and maps to bring with me in compact digital form. The compass function also works without signal. It also can work as a flashlight in a pinch. If you attach a small glass bead to the camera, you can even use it as a simple microscope!

Jason

Post by Jason »

I'll see you on The Dark Side of The Phone.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6no9ac

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The smart phone doesn't need to be connected to the internet to hold value, it is still a powerful computer with a variety of sensors, in your pocket. Camera, microphone, gps, etc. Bluetooth lets you add anything you can imagine. I have a device to track the velocity of a barbell and output it real time to my phone. How cool is that?

I've never been someplace with GPS access and no cell signal but I can see it as an interesting option. The maps are good.

Apps have exceeded the desktop computer in many scenarios. The website for my exercise log is horrible compared to the app. I have no idea how I'd send my heart rate monitor output to my desktop. Posting to YouTube is trivial, etc. Developers have an audience of billions in the mobile market. They serve it.

Battery life can be several days, if phone configuration and use patterns consider it. Certainly not on par with a simple phone, but you get so much more.

If I went back to a flip phone, I'd keep an off service cell or tablet around too, just for all the other stuff.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

Then there's also audiobooks and podcasts which are very convenient on smartphones. You can even read ebooks on hem though it's less than optimal.

plow_2

Post by plow_2 »

I picked up a samsung s7 from ebay for use with trac phone. Trac phone runs me 13 dollars a month for limited talk data and text. I use hangouts for texting which doesn't use my text msg limit. I hardly use any data away from my home wifi. It's a perfect setup for me. I listen to audiobooks on it every day. It is one of the handiest things. However if I went with verizon and got a new iphone like everyone else I know it would run me like $100 a month.

rfgh

Post by rfgh »

$13/mo for unlimited everything on TracFone? You sure about that?

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

rfgh wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:26 pm
$13/mo for unlimited everything on TracFone? You sure about that?
I think it's just voice and text, not unlimited data.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Thanks to all. Some good arguments here for the smart phone. Glad to see a couple dumb phone hold-outs, I know a few myself. I highly doubt I would enjoy reading books or watching movies on such a small screen nor do I think I will regret not doing it sooner. I have an iPad and a Mac Air for most computing functions. Ok, there was that one embarrassing time I got lost driving with a relative whose smart phone was not charged and I insisted I knew my way around a remote town late at night. Epic fail. GPS would have come in very handy that night. I am sure I will find it quite convenient yet still feel myself needing to justify the anticipated extra expense. Also, I fear I am asking for more vexing technology problems to deal with.

Does anyone use those mountable GPS devices in their cars anymore? Garmin?

I might pick up the same flip I saw on Ebay for $20 as a temporary measure while I figure out the most economical plan for the iPhone SE.

BWND

Post by BWND »

Had to get one for a new job. It's very useful for lots of things and I use it a lot, for far more things than I originally got it for, and for things that probably aren't truly useful!

Don't do it. It'll annihilate your free time and atrophy your attention span.

Almost Cat

Post by Almost Cat »

FruGal61 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:37 pm
Cell (no data): $35.00 for 700 minutes and unlimited texting.
Are the States way more expensive than Europe is when it comes to cell phone plans? I've lived in several EU countries and in all of them ~€5 (without a contract) is enough to buy enough data to send all the whatsupp, viber, skype, telegram and hangouts messages you could possibly write during a month.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Noal wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm
Had to get one for a new job. It's very useful for lots of things and I use it a lot, for far more things than I originally got it for, and for things that probably aren't truly useful!

Don't do it. It'll annihilate your free time and atrophy your attention span.
Excellent advice. I'm going to order that dumb phone on ebay and wait to see what happens with the iPhone SE. I want a smaller phone, despite what everyone else thinks. I'm not going to spend most of my life with my head bent in the "forward head" position, staring at said smart phone. That would cause neck pain. :D

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Writing notes/calendar items and sending picture messages on smartphones (and the camera in general) is great. Basic smart phones are pretty cheap nowadays, and plans like Airvoice are very cheap if you don't text or talk that much. I had a smartphone on Airvoice and just used wifi for data, it worked fine.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Thank you, kriegsspiel. I've never heard of Airvoice. I also just did some research on Tracfone.

FruGal61

Post by FruGal61 »

Jason wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:44 pm
I'll see you on The Dark Side of The Phone.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6no9ac
I am watching this documentary now! While listening to Pink Floyd... :lol:

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

No problem. If wifi is ubiquitous where you live, Airvoice + smartphone is a solid combo.