What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
Nomad

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by Nomad »

Red meat is full of saturated fat.
Meat is sometimes injected with hormones (female) to increase weightgain - not lean gain.
Animals are often kept in poor conditions and to prevent infections are fed antibiotics their entire life
- much research shows a link to diabetes in humans.
Certain meats such as pork can contain parasites that can be passed on e.g. trichinosis
Meat is usually far more expensive.
A diet containing lots of animal products make you more acidic, there are health effects of this.
Human vegans live longer then vegetarians and vegetarians live longer than omnivores.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

what's wrong with saturated fat?
the hormone injection thing is often true, but, on the other hand, red meat increases testosterone production in human males.
diabetes is caused by high blood sugar. meat does not raise blood sugar. at all.
the acidic/basic stuff is pseudoscience.
vegetarians/vegans only live longer when compared to the SAD, which contains tons of carbohydrates and correlates with poor lifestyle choices like smoking. when compared to active paleo/keto dieting humans, vegans/vegetarians do not live longer.
parasites & cost: true, but brute thinks the benefits of consuming animal products by far outweigh the costs.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

@brute
Many studies and much medical advice asserts a link between ingesting saturated fats and ailments such as heart disease and colon cancer.
The pro's and con's of consuming meat is all over the internet so I will not bother finding studies and posting links.
I'm happy for people to make their own food choices as they alone live with the consequences - forgetting environment effects for the moment.
You eating meat or cheese won't give me a heart attack.
Personally, I'm happy to eat chicken breast occasionally as it healthy low-fat source of protein.
However, I actively avoid red meat like beef and pork for reasons I've mentioned.
Fish is ok if it's the right kind - but that is another can of worms...

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Nomad wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:07 pm
The pro's and con's of consuming meat is all over the internet so I will not bother finding studies and posting links.
brute is also too lazy to cite any studies. he'll just state the following:
-saturated fat is incredibly healthy and a necessary nutrient for humans
-eating red meat is good for human health
-it will increase testosterone, reduce body fat, increase lean body mass, lower blood sugar, and increase longevity

good talk

C40

Post by C40 »

I've lost 16lbs (10% of my bodyweight) in the last 2 months by eating meat and vegetables (+eggs, butter, some cheese, avocados, etc.)

Now I have a beautiful 6 pack.

This is so easy.

My mom and step dad have also ate this way for the same time and have lost ~20lbs each.

mferson

Post by mferson »

Fruit and veggie smoothies are delicious and great for weight loss.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

I switched to Keto combined with intermittent fasting starting at the beginning of this year and have lost about 45 lbs so far in under 6 months while also started going to the gym and putting on muscle too. Pretty satisfied so far and after the first month the cravings really declined to where now I don't really crave carbs anymore.

Due to fat helping with satiety the intermittent fasting is easy and I generally eat in a 6 hour window.

At first it was very hard to say no to bread, candy etc. Now I can easily sit at a table with someone eating all sorts of carby and sugary goods and enjoy my own meal. I did have the benefit though that I really like meaty/fatty things so I don't really feel like I am sacrificing all that much.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

another can of worms...
I’m guessing they are a good source of protein, but how are they on fat??
:D

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

prognastat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am
I really like meaty/fatty things so I don't really feel like I am sacrificing all that much.
this. brute will happily forgo the twinkies and white bread, and instead make due with the ribeye steak. sigh! it's for health, of course.

brute would sometimes dream of eating carbs the first 6-12 months of doing keto, but eventually, even that went away. brute think he hasn't had such a dream in .. a year or more? brute wonders if this is pure conditioning/habit, or if eating enough fat will diminish cravings for sugar.

the only carby food brute misses sometimes, surprisingly, are lentils. there's just something to be said for the sloppy, muddy, dirty consistency of bean or lentil stews and soups. it must be the starch seeping into the water. brute hasn't found a good way to get the stew-like consistency and feel on keto, since few if any keto foods disintegrate like starches do in fluid. maybe pureeing broccoli and adding it would do the trick, but to be honest, brute hates trickery in food.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

I, personally, have lost 22 pounds in about 2 months keeping at between 1500-1800 calories a day, eating lots of fruits and veggies, avoiding most sugar (though I did have some awesom key lime pie Sunday), picking lean proteins like chicken (but I have had a bit of steak), upping my bean and brown rice intake (also thereby upping my gas outflow...), eating an avocado almost every day, and avoiding bread. Working for me and I feel great. I feel like, more importantly, that I can finally stick to this.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

BRUTE wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:37 pm
prognastat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am
I really like meaty/fatty things so I don't really feel like I am sacrificing all that much.
this. brute will happily forgo the twinkies and white bread, and instead make due with the ribeye steak. sigh! it's for health, of course.

brute would sometimes dream of eating carbs the first 6-12 months of doing keto, but eventually, even that went away. brute think he hasn't had such a dream in .. a year or more? brute wonders if this is pure conditioning/habit, or if eating enough fat will diminish cravings for sugar.

the only carby food brute misses sometimes, surprisingly, are lentils. there's just something to be said for the sloppy, muddy, dirty consistency of bean or lentil stews and soups. it must be the starch seeping into the water. brute hasn't found a good way to get the stew-like consistency and feel on keto, since few if any keto foods disintegrate like starches do in fluid. maybe pureeing broccoli and adding it would do the trick, but to be honest, brute hates trickery in food.
Yeah after a few months it got much better as the worst of the cravings went away and as more time passes it keeps getting easier.

I've tried one recipe that used cauliflower and blending it with the liquid to thicken a gravy which turned out quite well.

smokin

Post by smokin »

I am obviously extrememly late to this discussion, but if you will read about bodybuilders or those trying to get to a really low body fat percentage, you will find one thing is constant; staying under your BMR for calories consistently for at least a year.

I would bet that you could eat snickers bars daily, do no excercise and lose weight is you stayed 500 calories under your BMR, but I would not advise that.

Just stay under your BMR, eat meats, fruits, vegetables, drink water, walk for 30 minutes daily and you will see a difference in a couple of months. Then you just keep it up until you hit your goal.

mferson

Post by mferson »

Tuna, nuts, fruits and leafy greens are healthy and low in calories.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

smokin wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:53 am
staying under your BMR for calories consistently for at least a year.
what if human BMR adjusts to prior caloric intake? there was a study about participants in "the biggest loser", and it was shown that their BMR had been reduced to <1000kcal/day by all the dieting.

herp

Post by herp »

mferson wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:46 am
Tuna, nuts, fruits and leafy greens are healthy and low in calories.
Nuts contain a lot of fat and are definitely not low in calories. The other foods that you listed are, though.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

not too bad. trig/hdl is ~2.5, where <2 is supposedly ideal. just eating a bunch of saturated fat will likely increase HDL enough.

brute would add that while (simple) carbs and frequent eating are certainly causes of hormonal imbalance, there are others. bad sleep and stress are likely the big ones besides diet.

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 pm
... when compared to active paleo/keto dieting humans, vegans/vegetarians do not live longer...
The more I read your posts, the more I think you are my intellectual doppelganger.

If BRUTE is so willing, can you provide the studies that allowed you to gain the above in-site?

ajcoleman22

Post by ajcoleman22 »

@classical_libreral

Here are some additional resources you might find interesting in your understanding of cholesterol:

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/

http://cholesterolcode.com/

It's amazing that the more I read, the more I realize there are tons to things we simply don't understand.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:11 am
what if human BMR adjusts to prior caloric intake?
It's pretty much guaranteed your maintenance calories will fluctuate if you are dieting down, putting on some muscle, etc.