Gus' road to retirement

Where are you and where are you going?
suomalainen

Re: Gus' road to retirement

Post by suomalainen »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:01 pm
she said with wide eyes and a sweet tone, her feet in bunny slippers toasting by the fire, as my grandfather continues to lurch forward like a mule.
I feel like this sometimes too (as the grandfather, not the grandmother). It's infuriating but at the same time...it's what I signed up for. Fuck.

@augustus - I like the separate account approach. Not workable for us, I guess, but it seems ideal.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I’m sorry Suomalainen.

Someone at work told me a few months back that the joint accounts get drained quickly when the woman decides to leave. As in, not long after the final argument, poof, all the money gone within an hour. The same fellow was selling his house. “Will you be putting the proceeds of the sale towards buying another house?” I asked.

“I’m buying a divorce,” he replied.

I’m really sorry to be the resident cynical asshole here. I don’t know if it’s why I’m single, or vice-versa.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Ha, I thought I was the resident cynical asshole here.

- Married cynical asshole.

PS. Shout out to @jason? I don't want to usurp his title or anything.

Mister Imperceptible

Jason is a huge douchebag, not an asshole.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

I like the idea of zombie processes. I'll tuck that behind my ear for use when I get stuck in one. Been doing better lately, but certainly am perhaps more ruminant than human at times.
Augustus wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm
maybe you should just become a nag Finn :)
Been there, done that. For me, it's about the zombie processes. Identify the battles that I know I'll lose anyway and just move on. Before I get back into the battles of changing my wife, I'm first (now) focusing on changing my life within the bounds of marriage. We'll see how it shakes out.

Anyway, enjoying your journal.

wolf

Post by wolf »

Happy Birthday Augustus! I'd like the idea of meditating each morning. For some weeks now, I have been doing this irregularly.
What are the 3 things you came up today?

Mister Imperceptible

The beauty and simplicity of 8-bit music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qNmSh6bd2xs

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I was going to post this in the other thread where working on the beach was mentioned but I realized it was off topic. So I came to ask you here :).

Can you actually work from the beach? Like how do you see the screen in the glare? Or do you have some kind of beach cabana thing that pops up? Or are we not talking literally the beach? Because I'd like to literally work from the beach. My ideal would be a beach house right on the beach but that is prime real estate usually. I'm going to shoot for this in Mexico but have wife and two kids so lots of juggling to make it happen (not a permanent thing, just a couple of weeks/months and see how it goes). Have to balance good internet with easy access to beach.
Last edited by SavingWithBabies on Fri May 18, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

I plan on working from a beach hut in Bali/Laos at some point.

You can get something to cover the screen from above so it doesn't get hit with direct sunlight. It also helps to have a laptop that doesn't have a glossy screen. I work outside in my hammock in the sun pretty regularly.

SavingWithBabies

Okay, I think I could see how this would work for me. Screen cover isn't enough for me. I'd need some solid shade. I'm thinking maybe beach veranda would be perfect if I could find a spot by the beach in Mexico that wasn't too populated but still had okay internet (even if cellular). Have to go on a short term vacation to scope out if such a place exists.

Mister Imperceptible

Augustus wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am
My total costs rise to about 6300/mo. OMFG!
OMFG!
Augustus wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 am
In 30 years or less I'll have 3 fully paid rentals, bringing in 3300/mo or so of present day dollars.
Well at least the future is secure.

Mister Imperceptible

Well she has *3* months before she even starts chipping in, yes?

At what point does home care of children become more economical? $1700 for daycare and $2200 for your wife to chip in....so your wife is essentially working to make the $500 surplus value and strangers can raise your children? If she can’t bring more than $2200 I don’t see why she wouldn’t just raise the biological replacement units full-time.

Seriously dude, you’re spending 0.9 Jacobs in one month at this rate. An 11% expense increase and you’ll earn some kind of dubious ERE Raspberry Award.

Fish

Post by Fish »

I've advocated before that childcare spending should be considered an adjustment to income rather than an expense. For many dual-income households it's really a cost of employment. @Augustus - you probably already know this, but assuming your wife does W-2 work and is eligible for dependent care benefits, get them! It's like paying the first $5,000 of childcare costs with pre-tax money. Second best is to claim the childcare credit on Form 2441, which is capped at $1,000 (or 20% of $5,000 - your marginal tax rate is likely higher).

@MI - There are legitimate reasons for working even if it barely covers childcare expenses. 1) Easier to find or get promoted into more lucrative work in the future, 2) Fear of not being able to find a job with a gap in resume, 3) Earn SS credits, 4) Some parents simply need the break from their kids.

(Edited to remove non-productive comment regarding proper use of "Jacob" as a unit of spending. See viewtopic.php?p=155024#p155024 if interested. I give up. Trying to police this thing is like calling out mistakes in grammar or punctuation. It benefits no one, and the math was correct anyway in the frame of mind of the poster.)

Mister Imperceptible

@Fish

I have no children so these details are appreciated for future reference. I just like to bust Augustus’s chops. As long as he is still making the decisions at least some of the time.

Regarding the Jacob unit, I was unawares, thanks for the clarifying links.

Mister Imperceptible

If she’s pulling $90k and saving on top of the $2200 she contributes to monthly bills, that’s different.

I maintain that all else the same, not only raising the children at home but schooling them at home is a net positive. I would sooner show my children the multiplication tables and work through geometric proofs and have them read Plato and Machiavelli, rather than pack them off to the land of Common Core Math where everyone learns to be envious of the best dressed students and is prepared for an adulthood where they rack up credit card debt in the pursuit of status. I would hope Mini-Augustus gets the straight dope on everything from her pa, regardless.

Mister Imperceptible

The search for a worthy Missus Imperceptible is ongoing.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Augustus wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:34 am
It sounds like it's time for you to pony up and produce offspring. I'd love to see what happens to your plans when you make contact with the enemy.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Boom, I am looking forward to following your adventure!

Finn

Post by Finn »

Nice to hear from someone else with rentals! Best of luck to you in finding a tenant, SO and I are in the same boat from July onwards.

SavingWithBabies

Are you making mobile apps? If so, are you going native or using something like React Native, Xamarin, etc. If native, Swift/Kotlin?