Alexander Technique teacher, poet, world-creator, disabled person, permie

Say hello!!
DifferentlyAble

Alexander Technique teacher, poet, world-creator, disabled person, permie

Post by DifferentlyAble »

Hello team! I love the interview with Paul Wheaton on Paul's podcast, and a lot of the ERE stuff makes such good sense. I love having validation for the weird way I choose to live my life and appreciate the welcome.

I don't usually tell anyone that I'm disabled, and I don't look disabled, but I am recognized as such by the US Gov., and I appreciate the support I've gotten that way. It has never been enough to live on, and I've had to work part time.

I am not legally supposed to have more than $2,000 in assets, so I have not saved, and there hasn't been much to save with paying rent...but I am re-thinking stuff now a bit more than I had. Instead of "how do I get well enough to get back into the workforce?" I'm asking "how do I retire?"

Also I've recently inherited some money, sort of...I don't legally own the money, my parents do, but I can request that they invest it in things I find ethically acceptable, and I can choose if it's invested in things that make me sad whether to accept the money or not...then again, if I don't spend it, then there's more money in the principle investment going to causes that make me sad, ironically.

I am more able to do heavy physical labor if I can choose my own pacing and have a sense of purpose to it (directly enough). I managed to garden for 11 hours a few days ago--3 hours on the clock for someone who's laid back, 8 building my own hugel bed for my own plants. In lead-free soil, so I can grow some root veggies! A small step toward independence.

I am 39 now. I welcome suggestions and support on my journey. I would also love to teach Alexander Technique of use of the self (body-mind movement in the gravitational field, in whatever activities you do)--maybe in a way that does not involve money, as long as it is treated with the respect that money usually engenders. I'd especially like to foster non-trained teachers working with one another to get hte benefits of Alexander's discoveries. I love the idea of connecting with other people who are focused on solid real goals vs. money + buying stuff + short-term rewards! Thanks for creating this forum and idea, Jacob, and for welcoming me into this community everyone!

DifferentlyAble

Kriegsspiel

Re: Alexander Technique teacher, poet, world-creator, disabled person, permie

Post by Kriegsspiel »

DifferentlyAble wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:17 pm
I don't usually tell anyone that I'm disabled, and I don't look disabled, but I am recognized as such by the US Gov...

I am not legally supposed to have more than $2,000 in assets, so I have not saved

Also I've recently inherited some money, sort of...I don't legally own the money, my parents do, but I can request that they invest it
What

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I totally get the limitations. In those circumstances, it's the extreme expense reduction, rather than extreme savings that will get you where you are going. It's a small board, but still people are likely to not remember the financial limitations you have to work with, so expect a certain amount of good, but misplaced advice.

We are overpopulated with INTJs, so, I recommend you read up on Meyers Briggs, and INTJ specifically, to get the most from this site. We do tend toward the aggressively blunt end of the spectrum, and it's very easy to take offense where none was intended, around here.

Welcome!

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Riggerjack, did you see where this person, monthly supported by society because of his disability, is hiding an inheritance from the government by having his parents keep that inheritance safe and sneaking some money to him every now and then?

I'd say "welcome" is the wrong word here...

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

@DutchGirl. Its all legal, so fuck off. Have some respect for the disabled.

J_

Post by J_ »

@Old Man. Mind your words please. Respect for everyone disabled or not. Cheating is cheating and that is what Different Able does against society, according her own words. So +1 for Kriegspiel and Dutchgirl.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

There are different kinds of trusts in the US that parents (or others) can set up for their (officially) disabled children. The parents can retain some control, appoint a trustee, etc, depending on the circumstances. It's to make sure that the parents end-of-life expenses don't eat up money that a disabled child will need after the parents are gone, and also a way of setting it up so that if the child becomes even more disabled, there is someone to manage the funds appropriately. It helps to protect the disabled recipient from being taken advance of (now or later on, depending on the disability). I have no idea what the OP's family has set up, but there are ways that this is not only perfectly legal in the US, but also what is recommended by tax and disability experts because of the way disability laws are written.

That said, I think the response to DutchGirl was completely inappropriate. A simple explanation of the way the system works in the US was all that was needed. Her assumptions weren't off base considering the OP.

Jason

Post by Jason »

An old man telling a Dutch Girl to fuck off because of a misunderstanding over a tax evading, disabled person.

My kind of thread.