Advantages to foreign savings or investments?

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
conwy

Advantages to foreign savings or investments?

Post by conwy »

Due to life circumstances, it happens that I have my money in two countries at once:

1) An investment platform and a high-interest savings account in Australia
2) A current account in the UK

Most of my live savings are in Australia (1).

But I'm currently working in the UK and putting the earnings from my limited company into the current account (2). (I'm a contractor.)

Thinking of taking advantage of the fact that I have a UK bank account to invest in some low-cost investment vehicles, e.g. mutual or index funds.

So my question is - are there any particular benefits to be gained from having investment accounts in multiple countries, as opposed to just one?

For example, might differences in regulations, economic/political situations, etc make certain countries more attractive for some kinds of investment options than others? So if I choose my investments carefully, could I take advantage of each country's comparative advantage with regard to investments?

Or do you think investing is pretty much the same anywhere in the world, wherever the money is held, since our economy has basically become massively globalised?

Thanks ahead of time!

George the original one

Re: Advantages to foreign savings or investments?

Post by George the original one »

conwy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:33 am
Or do you think investing is pretty much the same anywhere in the world, wherever the money is held, since our economy has basically become massively globalised?
Investing is absolutely NOT the same anywhere in the world. See Argentina, Venezuela, Greece, etc. for recent examples of differences. UK/Australia differences are fairly negligible by comparison.