Belgium, Europe

Say hello!!
Marius

Post by Marius »

Hello everybody!
I've been reading ERE for over two years.
If all goes well, I'll get out of wage slavery in a couple of years and regain control of my life.
My only major problem will then be my limited remaining lifespan (probably less than 50%). While I won't have a job to take my mind off onrushing death, at least I won't have to sell my time anymore and I will try to hack my body and my life to get the most out of it.
Marius

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Don't know how much you value food, but if you want to increase lifespan, caloric restriction, the Okinawan diet, and only eating every other day (works on lab rats), have shown to be life extending.
It's my hope that the warrior diet will have similar benefits as well.

Marius

Post by Marius »

Thanks. Food is fuel. I like most healthy food, except natto.
Intermittent fasting sounds intriguing, but comments on Tim Ferriss' site casted doubts on the safety for humans (insulin resistance, blood pressure). C. Elegans have it easy!
Will check out the Warrior diet when I have time to optimize my diet. I hope it works!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Ferris is such a fraud, I wouldn't trust him on anything.
Our ancestors have been intermittently fasting since day 1. Nothing could be more healthy and natural. It certainly improves insulin sensitivity.
Insulin problems and inflammation seem to be present in all modern ailments. This is an excellent blog about diet and health: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

GuelphDC

Post by GuelphDC »

I have been following the "Primal Blueprint" for a couple of month - lost 20 lbs without trying - was 5'11" 185 lb, now just about cut. Don't get hungry as much and can go most of a day without eating due to minimal insulin spikes as I don't eat carbs other than what I get in fruit and vegetables.
- Not the cheapest way to eat, but can be done reasonably by buying meat in bulk (such as the half cow I bought).

Marius

Post by Marius »

BTW, by intermittent fasting I meant this like alternate day fasting. I didn't realize the term was also used for intraday fasting.
Thanks for all the book & blog tips, I'm going to check them out.

il-besa

Post by il-besa »

@JohnnyH,

why do you think that Ferris is a fraud?

I don't want to start a flame, I'm just curious to understand the reasons and if this is the common opinion :)
Thanks!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@il-besa: Well, many of his Amazon reviews are fake. His claim to fame was winning a kickboxing tournament by fasting, then gorging and just pushing his opponents out of the ring.
Here he claims to have gained 34 lbs of muscle in 4 weeks, with 4 hours of working out.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/20 ... n-4-weeks/
He seems to be a good marketer, but I don't put a lot of trust in anything he might say or do.

Concojones

Post by Concojones »

The catch about the muscle gains was that Ferriss was rebuilding muscle and not building new muscle. People familiar with fitness know that's a huge difference, and omitting that info is very sly salesmanship, to say the least... Enough about Ferriss.

utility73

Post by utility73 »

I don't have very good opinion of Tim Ferriss in general, but his new book "4-Hour Body" gets thumbs up from Chris Masterjohn -> http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/R ... -Body.html