What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
leeholsen

Re: What Do You Eat for Weight Loss?

Post by leeholsen »

The others here that say it's really how much you eat that are correct. you could eat candy bars but as long as you stay significantly below your basic metabolism rate, say 1200 calories on a 1800 BMR; you will lose if you can maintain that basically 6 days out of 7 for a year. you most likely gained the weight slowly, it's going to come off slowly unless you become an extreme fitness nut.

but the paleo diet of vegetable, meats and fruit are best with mainly water from what I have read, basically what the planet naturally gives people. breads and sugar and artificial sugars and processed and packaged foods are what pack it on and keep it on.

herp

Post by herp »

Felipe wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:36 pm
Thank you for all the advice.

Another Update:

Waist to 38.5", weight to 188.8lbs at its lightest (end of last Thursday-Friday fast). That's a little over 20lbs of fat in 4 months. I don't think the next 4 months will yield as much fat loss. I'm still focused on getting a 6 pack so probably 8+ months to lose the remaining 30+ lbs. A health challenge I experienced has alleviated to the point of cutting my prescription. Expecting the hints of symptoms to disappear completely in 10 or 20 lbs.
That's great progress!

I've been trying to get back into the game. Got off to a great start where I lost 5lbs in a few weeks but since then I have stalled due to work related stress popping up again. At least I haven't gained weight since my loss.

I have another 19 lbs to lose that I planned to be done losing by October, but I don't think that plan is going to stick. Now I'm aiming to get rid of it by the end of the year.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Not sure how this happened but 180.2lbs today (fasted, dry, cleansed).
Waist at thinnest: 35, thickest 37.6, hips 40.5

Stomach measurement didn't move much except at the narrow of my waist. Waist is finally lower than hip measurement so I have 1 health warning down according to the NIDKK and WHO on waist to hip(1). Waist is technically under 50% of height so a second health warning down (2). Weight is still above 179 so still at higher health risks.

Now vegan and generally eating less so I think that caused the big drop. Not complaining. Still aiming for 150 but may hit a 6 pack before then as my top 2 abs are slowly coming out to say hi. I also feel a big boost of energy since I went vegan. I have been making my own vegan bread with this recipe (3) and it's coming out great.

Health condition has stalled so a little disappointed. I think moving out and living in a situation where I'm walking multiple times a day will alleviate more of this. Happy to at least still be off any pills.

I've stopped trying to workout at the gym for several reasons. I have too many things going on with moving out, work, changing diet to vegan, and losing fat. Losing fat is a higher priority for health reasons so putting my focus into still fasting twice per week is much more important to me and it's been working (working out fasted isn't always easy). I already have some muscle and still hike, climb, and swim plus losing fat makes my muscles' shape come out so I feel good about this decision.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio
(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist-to-height_ratio
(3) http://www.gocurrycracker.com/the-offic ... y-cracker/

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Touched 179lbs at the end of my fast today. I've felt less hunger and more comfort feeling it so I think I'm running a deficit most days. May end up hitting my goals sooner than I expected if I lose 2lbs/wk.

Also, a little nervous, it feels like the progress is almost too quick and too consistent.

Maybe others feel this when they first start depositing 90% of their salaries into investing/saving?

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

181.6lbs today. Not fasted. Waist is stable for last few weeks at 36.8" where belt would go. I took a week off from fasting last week due to stress from a business trip and too many work things happening at once.

Did an 18 hour fast on Sunday and doing a 20 hour fast today. Going back to 2 24hr fasts per week but I'm still recovering so I'll take it there slowly. I'm getting more sure 2 fasts per week will take me there and that I won't be fasting on any extended hikes. I'll resume the habit upon returning, if I don't feel like fasting I'll simply do a shorter fast to restart the habit.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

177lbs fasted, dry, cleansed
Waist at 36.8 still
I guess the week off from fasting didn't change much.

Fasting is sometimes harder since going vegan, not that it was ever easy but eating 12 strips of bacon had a way of stopping hunger.

Overall I'm happy with the results so far. Another 27lbs projected till I get to a 6 pack. My stomach doesn't bulge out in the same way any more.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

Felipe wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:01 pm
177lbs fasted, dry, cleansed
Waist at 36.8 still
I guess the week off from fasting didn't change much.

Fasting is sometimes harder since going vegan, not that it was ever easy but eating 12 strips of bacon had a way of stopping hunger.

Overall I'm happy with the results so far. Another 27lbs projected till I get to a 6 pack. My stomach doesn't bulge out in the same way any more.

just started the super foods(which is vegeatables in powder form) deal.

not that i'm fat but have put on 20 I don't need passing the 40 mark as the metabolism slows down; so I want to reverse things now before they get out of hand.

we'll see if it works and improves my health overall as so many claim; but if it has good effects; may make it a daily deal; probably a few decades of bad toxins floating around me that aren't going to leave easily.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Okay so I have dropped from 188lbs to about 173lbs now over the course of a few weeks. My diet is very simple. I just eat enough protein to maintain muscle mass (My lean body mass * 1; or LBM * 1.25 if I workout that day) while eating under my TDEE.

Meal 1: 3 eggs, 3000 mg of Fish Oils, 1 cup of skim milk
Meal 2: 2 cups of Lentils, 1 tangerine
Meal 3: 200 grams of chicken breast, 2 cups of brocolli
Meal 4: Whatever spouse makes for dinner; I aim for meat/veggies and skip the carbs.

wolf

Post by wolf »

With my new diet I want to reduce the risk of diseases and maybe loose weight, as I mentioned in my journal. Therefore I do/eat/drink most of the following daily.
MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:09 am
When I have been staying at my sister's place I read the book "How not to die" from Dr. Greger. It is all about minimizing the risks of diseases by eating healthy. Dr. Greger is famouse for his "daily dozen". He also started the website nutruitonfacts.org. If anybody is interested in a wholesome plant-based diet I can strongly recommend reading this book. His "daily dozen" contains:
- beans, lentils, ...
- berries
- other fruits
- cruciferous
- greens
- other vegetables
- flaxseeds
- nuts
- spices
- whole grains
- beverages
- exercice
I found out that the wholesome plant-based diet by Dr. Greger is totally aligned to my ERE-lifestyle and -goals. Again, I can recommend that book, if you want to find out more about reducing the risk of diseases etc.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

I weight around 10kg less than when I started this thread.

Vegan and ketogenic diets were difficult to maintain long term and once I moved out, I stopped fasting for some time. I'm now fasting again to get healthier and lose more fat. In the end, my answer was to take a break from eating twice a week for 24 hours. Flexible enough to maintain and it works.

Veganism helped nothing for weight loss in my own experience.

herp

Post by herp »

Great to hear!

What works for me is tracking everything I eat. This has multiple purposes. First, I get a fairly clear idea of how many calories I'm consuming. Secondly, it allows me to eat anything I want, but if I want to eat something unhealthy and calorie dense, I have to restrict portion size by a lot. And thirdly, tracking everything forces me to reconsider what I'm eating at the time and makes me more conscious of food decisions.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

personally, brute found the costs of tracking calories extremely high, and the benefits to be zero. brute also found out that CICO is not true while tracking every single calorie for a month. eating an average of close to 4000kcal/day, he lost 5-10 lbs (it's been a while so he forgot). the math ended up being that without any working out at all, brute's TDEE would've had to be in the high 4000s or 5000s to explain this.

fasting is much easier to track, and brute has had much better success.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

while eating an estimated 2,000kcal surplus per day for a month.

in another experiment, brute ate the same 800-900kcal meal as the only meal every day for a month without losing any weight.

CICO just isn't true. no need to make up excuses.

herp

Post by herp »

I have to say that I find your results very perplexing, Brute.

All I can say is that I lost many pounds over a half year period simply by calorie tracking and keeping a moderate deficit.

Never did fasting, either.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute tested the hypothesis multiple times. it didn't hold. brute thinks this is called science.

classical_Liberal

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

I would make your data points more complicated!

Let's see people on high carb diet in India, China, Japan :lol:
They probably eat so much carbs and don't get fat anyway.

JBmoney

Post by JBmoney »

My daily diet looks like this currently:

Breakfast: Protein shake + green tea
Lunch: Various types of salad w / grilled chicken, sushi, or turkey sammies
Dinner: Sushi, Meat (lamb, chicken, pork, or steak), green veggies, and carb (rice, quinoa, or beans)

I usually have some sort of sweet once a day. A couple of cookies, a small piece of cake, a few chocolates. Nothing crazy...just to curb any cravings.