Post by light_bulb_moment »

Talk to your boss?

Lemur

Re: Lemur Journal!

Post by Lemur »

light_bulb_moment wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 am
Talk to your boss?
I don't really have a boss...I work as a subcontractor for one of the big four auditing firms and none of my co-workers work with the same firm as I do. Yes it is odd. I would literally have to email past HR and go to the company founder but I don't know if I want to escalate that just yet seeing as I just got to this job. idk. One person who is considered my "supervisor" in regards to payroll...all she did was forward my email back to HR lol.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Haven't posted in the journal for a while. Still basically on "the grind" as I like to call it. My schedule is..

Wake up at 5:30 am
Leave home by 6:30 am
Arrive at work by 9 am (yes...I commute this long unfortunately)
Work until about 5:00pm - 5:30pm
Arrive home at 7:00pm - 7:30pm
Spend the next 2:00 half hours doing : laundry, dishes sometimes, playing with my son, browsing the internet, and graduate schoolwork if I don't feel like procrastinating.

That is pretty much it Monday-Friday. The routine is nice sometimes. My M-F goes by pretty quickly and despite the gripes with my employer, I like my work. Unfortunately, given the problems already mentioned in this journal I am actively seeking other jobs with the goal of compensation.

The only money I have invested this year came from my refund. That is it. First time in a long time I don't actually have it calculated..I did just recently get back into the habit of the "no eat out and no picking up snacks rule." Sort of playing a "eat the cabinet" game at the moment. Past week has been nothing but beans, rice, pasta, and sandwiches.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Savings rate @ 25% in 401(k). Actively working on certification and finishing degree to help career. Would really like to increase my income. By next year, I should be out of the $55k range and hopefully in the $60k plus range.

Got scammed on Upwork.com trying to do freelance work. Only $16 for 30 minutes of work. Still kinda crappy though.

Big snow in NorthEast yesterday; clearing up already. Getting very close to planting season.

trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

Hi Lemur - I think you are building a very useful set of skills. With a Big 4 on your resume (even as a contractor) and your military veteran status, you can ramp up pretty quickly over the next few years to a much higher earning level. In my experience, firms like the Big 4 and related professional service firms place a premium on military status - most have launched initiatives to hire more. Not exactly the dream ERE employment, but I think you can get a higher salary and save more quickly.

Interesting to hear up your upwork experience. I've thought about playing around with this a bit but always seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

trailblazer wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm
Hi Lemur - I think you are building a very useful set of skills. With a Big 4 on your resume (even as a contractor) and your military veteran status, you can ramp up pretty quickly over the next few years to a much higher earning level. In my experience, firms like the Big 4 and related professional service firms place a premium on military status - most have launched initiatives to hire more. Not exactly the dream ERE employment, but I think you can get a higher salary and save more quickly.

Interesting to hear up your upwork experience. I've thought about playing around with this a bit but always seems like more trouble than it's worth.
Hey trailblazer,

Upwork is not worth it. Something that has crossed my mind is why trade more hours for labor. If I wanted to do that, I could just get a second job. I'm exploring setting up a business. My spouse is pretty successful right now with her business and I'm learning a lot from her. Once I finish my Master's degree (late this year) and some certifications, I think I'm going to start dedicating some time to starting a business. All proceeds will go towards bumping my savings rate...25% savings rate is good but nowhere near ERE good. For me, fundamentally, I have to be open to moving I think. I would love to either work completely remotely or find a way to work close to work.

Until I cover these fundamentals, my savings rate will always be dragged down even if I increase my salary by 20-30+ %.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Keto + Intermittent fasting works really well for me.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Very happy for my spouse. In the first quarter 2018, her business after COGS, Expenses, and Taxes is equivalent to what I make in my salary career (in 3 months). We've joked the past 2 years because I would always say "man one day you might make more money than me!" To see the reality is motivating for me given that I nearly have a Master's and my spouse started her business ground up while also raising our son at home (her college degree is irrelevant to her business). While my spouse is not fully on board with investing every dollar for early retirement purposes, her making good money has allowed us to collectively lower our expenses and allowed me to allocate more towards 401(k). It is very interesting because I've always been very risk-adverse but I have always admired the entrepreneurial mindset (could never pull the trigger myself) whereas my wife is a "go for it" attitude that I admire a lot.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

About that traffic ticket I finally went to court for (mentioned in the beginning of this log). Had my fine reduced from $570 to $295 (includes court costs). Also no points on my license. I brought in my driving record ($7 for an official copy) which helped proved my normally safe driving habits.

Finally can move on. Just finished up two college courses as well. Interestingly, in my one of my courses I got a "B" for the first time since high school. Was slightly annoyed (well it was my fought...I definitely did not study like I had in the past) but at the same time I gotta think what does it matter? An employer just wants to see the checkmark at the end of the day.

Also. I am 4 chapters into "Flight from the City" by Ralph Borsodi. Great book so far.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

I think it would be an interesting exercise to count +1 each time I contribute $300 to investments. At a 4% withdrawal rate, $300 gives $1 a month for life ($300 * 4% = $12 annually or $1 a month).

I think I will start today...tomorrow I get paid my salary paycheck and an automatic contribution to my 401k should put me up 2 points.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

$609.38 automatic contribution to 401(k).

I'd like to earn a point this year at some point that does not come from my salary job or GI Bill. I'll keep counting points until I get to 100 for the sake of this exercise. Also I rounded down for the sake of convenience because technically $609.39 is a little over 2 points.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Started my garden.

Planted Squash, Onion, and Watermelon. I have successfully planted squash before (inside the square), but have failed at Onion & Watermelon before. Trying again this year. The onion is what is planted across the fence line. I'm also thinking I may need some type of barrier, a garden fence. We have groundhogs here.

The box is my first attempt at a compost pile...not sure if I am doing it right lol; I just through together a bunch of dead grass, leaves, and some table scraps (bananna peels, onion peels, etc.)

I have yet to read a single book on gardening or anything like that; just trial and error. I watched a documentary on Permaculture recently that I found interesting; maybe I'll pick something up.

light_bulb_moment

Post by light_bulb_moment »

There's a bunch of good, free gardening advice on YouTube. I've been getting into it myself lately, I'm a little further along the composing path than you, but not so far along the planting path :-)

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

light_bulb_moment wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 3:48 am
There's a bunch of good, free gardening advice on YouTube. I've been getting into it myself lately, I'm a little further along the composing path than you, but not so far along the planting path :-)
Yeah Youtube has helped me learn the concept of tilling and prepping soil.

Whatever I am doing works with Squash works. The majority of my squash has sprouted. No signs of life for onions or watermelon though...will have to google what they look like when they sprout. Squash is very distinct but with other plants I think it is hard to tell if something is a a sprout or just a weed. I have never successfully planted any greens...perhaps for this reason? Maybe I'm pulling them out by accident lol.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

May 10 - Another automatic 401(k) contribution of $609.38

So just re-negotiated my salary despite only being at my job for 3 months...got a 12.5% raise. Pretty nice. Means more to the 401(k)!

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats on the raise, I really like your points system!

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:19 pm
Congrats on the raise, I really like your points system!
Thanks. It could be more accurate if I was not lazy and decided to track decimals lol. One of my goals is to get a point that does not come from my salary or GI Bill. I doubt that will happen this year as I am only thinking about it and not making concrete plans.

On another note, my garden has successfully sprouted squash, onion, and watermelon (not seen in picture). I also planted potato yesterday. Also that amount of grass is surprising...I actually looked up recently how to properly remove sod so I will be doing that soon when I plant my next set of veggies (still deciding what I want to plant!).

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

May 25 - Another automatic 401(k) contribution of $609.38 +2
May 25 - Invested an additional $300 savings +1
May 26-27 - Went on a memorial day vacation; spent unplanned money which was about $300 including hotel + gas. So -1

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Lemur wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:53 pm
Keto + Intermittent fasting works really well for me.
Been sticking to the intermittent fasting for a few weeks now. Noticing physical & mental health benefits. Did not stick to the keto part - I missed fruit, pastas, etc...and this stuff is cheaper and fits better with my goals. Meat gets pricy.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

- My garden is growing nicely but I have been lazy at pulling weeds/grass to the point where my radishes are getting covered up. Squash is starting to bear fruit.

-Continuing to learn R programming language at work. Just a few months ago I didn't even know a simple function...now I'm writing basic scripts :) Very happy with my progress.

- Still plugging away to finish Master's Degree. Ugh Can't wait till it is over.

- It only took 4 years...but I finally managed to convince my spouse to invest some money. She put down $3k in a Roth IRA. She chose Roth so should could always pull out (contributions) if she changed her mind. I was arguing to do a tIRA to lower our taxes but I figure I did not want to push it lol. I see where she comes from though.