Portfolio Charts

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
Tyler9000

Re: Portfolio Charts

Post by Tyler9000 »

Yeah, cash is one of those things that I think people who grew up with today's very low rates really have no historical context for. I wouldn't count on exclusively using it for a 4% SWR today, but I also wouldn't assume it always returns next to nothing. It's a lot more dynamic than most people realize.

distracted_at_work

Post by distracted_at_work »

Hi Tyler, pardon me if this has been asked or previously clarified.

In the calculators, if I change my country of choice to, for example, Canada and then set my portfolio weightings does the World option now include the U.S? My goal here is to run the calculators using my split of Canada / World (incl. USA) 30/70. I'm concerned that I do not have a way to reflect the U.S holdings as the calculators show ex-US on the world option.

Or does using the North America part of the calculator essentially give me U.S holdings? Logic being that the U.S would dominate Canada/Mexico by sheer economy size anyhow.

Thanks.

Edit: Never-mind found the dropdown where I can choose if World includes U.S or not. :oops:

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

No worries! I'm glad you found the setting.

For the benefit of others who may have the same question -- the default setting is ex-US, but do you see that black box in the bottom right that says "xUS"? Click that, and select "ALL" from the dropdown. That will convert the World options to truly global versions including US stocks.

"North America" in the calculators includes data from the US + Canada. But Canada only represents about 7% of that group by market cap, so it is definitely dominated by US stocks.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@T9000--Did you change the Golden Butterfly allocation? I thought it was LCB not TDM. Did I miss a post?

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I changed a few portfolios to reference TDM instead of LCB back when I started adding other countries to the calculators simply to make it a little more obvious for non-US investors how to translate portfolio ideas to other countries. But the underlying idea has not changed, and practically speaking TDM and LCB should be interchangeable with very little impact on the final performance.

BTW, any ERE fans outside of the US might want to check out the latest site update: https://portfoliocharts.com/2017/10/16/ ... new-light/

liberty

Post by liberty »

@Tyler9000 Your site is brillant - thanks for the service you provide! Do you have any backtest on dynamic allocation? Like for example trend following? Could be something like: Hold stocks when stocks are trading above 200 days moving average, otherwise hold short-term bonds.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

Hey Tyler, any previews about what other changes you have in mind for the future? Are there data for more countries on the way? (>cough,cough<japan)

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

@Liberty -- the thing holding me back from dynamic allocation calculations is the annual data, as you really need monthly numbers to do it justice. It's actually a good time of year to look into finally making that switch, so maybe I'll start on that sometime soon.

@ThisDinosaur -- In general, I think the next section that needs some international love is the Assets. I'm still figuring out the best way to handle it, but at the very least some new ETFs for each asset domiciled in various countries would be nice. I can find British and German options on justetf.com, but if any Canadians or Aussies have recommendations please drop me a PM.

And your Japan data request is duly noted. :) After studying which countries visit the site most, I'm also looking into Italy and Sweden. Hopefully I can release a new batch of countries after the new year.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@T900--Have you ever considered which of the portfolios you feature are better suited for older vs. younger investors? I shared your site with someone, and they asked me which were better for late bloomers. I hadn't really thought about it before, but a person's investing time frame can play a key role. I normally tout the GB but then I wondered if this person was too old to start dabbling in small caps since they had some ground to make up but not a lot of time. OTOH, just going with the stock/bond split determined by age (a boglehead staple) would probably not be growth-oriented enough for them to meet their goals.

Have you ever ranked them by age and whether they're behind or ahead of their goals in addition to ranking them by risk, even informally? I'm just curious.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

That's a good question.

My default reaction is that I generally think most people are better off finding a relatively consistent portfolio they're comfortable with and working to meet their financial goals via an aggressive savings rate rather than depending so heavily on market gains. You have way more control over one than the other.

That said, I can see why someone would ask about it in those terms. I've never really ranked the portfolios like that, so I'll have to think about it.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

jennypenny wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm
they had some ground to make up but not a lot of time
how much time? in a 5-10 year time frame, RoI does not matter too much (within bounds, of course). something pretty conservative + high savings rate is probably much more important than tweaking the potential returns of anything in the portfolio.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

Maybe an early accumulator who doesn’t believe in cryptos long-term puts a little bit into the crypto roulette wheel to try and hack the accumulation game.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 am
Any special requests?
Here's something minor I thought of that would add a cherry to the already incredible Portfolio Charts sundae:

It would be cool to be able to build a custom asset allocation and then see it across all the different calculators at once. You already do this for the portfolios that are pre-loaded in the "portfolios" section, and it's great. But if you're building your own, you have to re-enter the percentages each time you switch calculators.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Smashter wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:08 pm
It would be cool to be able to build a custom asset allocation and then see it across all the different calculators at once.
Thanks for the suggestion. As often as I hear that request, sooner or later I'm gonna have to take the hint and make it happen. :)

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I am a big fan of the site. Thanks!

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

My #1 request would be the ability to add a % drag to each investment type, to account for fees and taxes (and cynicism ;)).

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@Tyler, I see you updated the interface for entering in asset allocations. I like it!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Thanks!

Beyond the interface update there's also a ton of new data. European investors may be especially interested in the full assortments of World and European indices, so be sure to check it out.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2018/05/10/ ... than-ever/

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Awesome.
Thanks Tyler

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

lol nice drop shadow :)