Fox's Journey: And Onto the Sunlight!

Where are you and where are you going?
Paula

Re: Fox's Journey: Out of the Burrow

Post by Paula »

I was fired from my first real job after 20 days of work. It was my dream job in a prestegious industry and I remember sitting with a friend after the first week as I fought back tears asking her how someone could do this for their whole life. Completely exhausted at the end of each day. Dead on the weekend. Truthfully, I fired myself.

The economy was bad and the only job I could get at the time was with a temp agency. That saved me. The assignments changed every few weeks and there was a scheduled end to each. I don't know how to explain it other than knowing that the end was near allowed me to get used to working long hours and the in between times allowed me to figure how how to continue to be human while working.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hahaha, man the f*ck up? Come now, not only is that such an analog phrase, but it's also exactly what I am doing. I'm taking responsibility for my work and life. I am paying for all of my expenses and coming up with plans to be happy both long term and short-term. I am actively taking care of a major health concern while concurrently figuring out a way to make a living. I have now figured out that sales and marketing is not for me. The job is the cause of the friction; it's not physiological, otherwise I'd have been feeling like for a larger part of my life. I'm now going to try counseling or healthcare.

finity

Post by finity »

The man up was probably meant more as a "challenge yourself to drag your ass to work for a year before taking a decision". Or probably keep your job while searching for a new one. It's impossible to tell if you like the job long-term if you give yourself such a short time. It takes time to grow into a full-time occupation.

Besides that, I like your route. You're in an extremly good place at such a young age, not only financially, but also by having tried many different things in life. You're very brave in taking your direction and are ready to step up against what society calls normal. Most people would not have the courage to find their way to live the life they want. It's just that you could give things a little more time. Relax and "enjoy" the 9-5 torture. 8-) It's an experience after all, isn't it? Imagine yourself looking back in 5 years, thanking your past self to have suffered for your 5-year-into-the-future-self.

FIREing in 5 years will be an even better feeling when you felt the burn of what other people endure their whole life.

Disclaimer: I can't really speak about this, as I work for a very good company. It took me the better part of two years to adjust to the time-sucking black-hole of 9-5 work (and I work less than 40h/week on average). Work life in Europe may be easier, but it will take me longer to retire (because ... taxes). You may be more of a european fit than an american one, in terms of work-culture :geek:

finity

Post by finity »

You may also want to listen to this amazing piece about american work culture, which kind of shocked and amazed me :shock:
https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Found a lead at a mental health clinic @35K within walking distance of my apartment~

I think I've become rather skilled at identifying clients, resume tailoring, and reaching out to people. Thanks recruiting.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:18 pm
Thanks recruiting.
Always optimal when a job builds skills that can be used further along the line. Even better if it's a web-of-goals with several side-effects. Writing and reading resumes along with the interviewing should be rather widely applicable.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I would challenge the statement that one can become rather skilled at almost any type of work in only one month.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Ah, bite me. More than the average person (y)

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

sorry, I don't understand what you mean (like, I really don't - lost in translation. English is not my first language), but I suspect you are somewhatcomplaining about my post?
I sincerely hope it didn't offend/upset you.
If it did, I'll edit and refrain from posting on your journal in the future, no worries.
I always assume people on this board are more concerned with getting honest feedback than anything else, so I tend to speak openly

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Urban Dictionary wrote: bite me
1. (v) A slightly more polite way to say "Fuck off you prick".

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

@Seppia, I would agree with your comment about it not being possible to become expert in a month. I recall when I was just graduated - the brainpower of youth was amazing (learned/learning loads), but contrary to my opinion at the time I was a talented learner and not an expert even in my degree topic. I _think_ that is what @THF meant. That he knows more than others (so more expert).

Re. your observation ...
I always assume people on this board are more concerned with getting honest feedback than anything else, so I tend to speak openly
Yes Yes Yes. Please you continue to do that. Thanks.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Found a job as a Mental Health Worker at a local hospital. Pay is $14-15 per hour, with 3 shifts per week @ 12 hr ea. It's certainly a way to see if the fit is right!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Fantastic Mr. Fox! That's a good way to get things figured out. :)

And three twelves leaves you with a lot of days for adventure or more schooling if you are so inclined.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Thanks!<3 I'm excited~

Also found an interview with Planned Parenthood a block away from where I live! Bilingual Community Health Educator @40K. I like the sound of that~~~

Even found a Life Coach part-time gig. How cool!

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

On the Recurring Expenses Front:

Transportation: $0-50, buses + trains + manual
Entertainment: $0, Overdrive, YT, library
Food: $0, volunteering at a food shelter
Smartphone: $15, Mint
Housing: $275 (expected), Seeking a roommate
COBRA: $754.87 (6-12 mo, then $0 w/ medicaid)

So that's 3.5k/yr, or 87K @4% needed once I finish surgery and braces.

-------------

Networth: 60K

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

Impressive. The Student can show the Master (Jacob) how to do ERE.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

Fuck yeah. That's what I'm talking about.

Are you actually already at that level of economic hyper efficiency?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Everything besides the literal roommate yes. Doing some interviews this upcoming week to find a person. Technically I still have medicaid in Massachusetts from my time in college. Not that that's much use to me in NY

My goal is to find a non-profit role like the Planned Parenthood one and get to 100K in a year as surgery is completed. Then I could do a similar arrangement elsewhere and get the hell out of NY

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Can you describe settings with this food shelter?

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Sweet motherfucking Buddha those are some numbers! Seriously, even housing in Estonia is not that cheap unless you live in the suburbs or some else like that.