Online Master's Degree?

Anything to do with the traditional world of get a degree, get a job as well as its alternatives
TopHatFox

Online Master's Degree?

Post by TopHatFox »

If you're going to get a Master's degree anyway, I argue that getting an online one makes economic sense. The research for what degree and why has already been done. So, if you're working 35 hours per week and childfree, that leaves 20-40 hours to work on something else. Like working on a piece of paper that increases opportunities in your field. You also have the added benefit of getting paid for your full-time job, which means you can use that $ to pay for the degree as you go, while gaining skills that will help with your current job. This mean less to no debt at the end of the degree program while also accruing 2 years of experience to accompany your newly minted Master's Degree. There is no requirement to say whether your degree was earned online or not, and you certainly don't have to list it in that way on your resume or mention it in your interview. In fact, many large state universities like Boston Univesity offer these. At this point in time, I do not see the benefit of going to an Ivy League School or brick and mortar school for a Master's. I went to one for college and I don't feel very special in the job hunting game.

The only drawback I can see is making sure the program is accredited and well made.

Dream of Freedom

Re: Online Master's Degree?

Post by Dream of Freedom »

;) That is a lot of effort to put in if you are just planing on leaving the working world in a few years anyway.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

I'd much rather create a life I don't want to retire from~

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

Why?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Because building a livable life is much more enjoyable for 10 years as opposed to grinding for even 1 year

Most of the non-corporate hellhole jobs require a master's to gain entry. This is a way to get one while still earning wages and gaining xp.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Work can provide fulfillment, a sense of purpose and can be enjoyable if you play your cards right. It's not easy to set up a fulfilling life devoid of no work, nor is it necessarily more enjoyable. High assets, skills and/or low expenses allow you to structure your work so you can get the best of both worlds.

I believe the "work, is it so bad?" thread goes into this in much more detail.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@theanimal, right, and gaining access to said meaningful work for me requires a Master's at the door, 'least as far as I can tell

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@theanimal

I have a very different world view in that case.

Also I think it depends on how you define the word work? (As mentioned in the other thread I believe)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

TopHatFox wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:13 pm
I'd much rather create a life I don't want to retire from~
Yes. Far better than a high score.

My concern with an online degree program would be connections. Do I meet enough people in the field to have good opportunities when I graduate? Face to face experience could also be relevant, for those in helping professions.

Stacking a full time graduate degree with full time work sounds overwhelming. Maybe I lack the hunger of youth. I did a full time degree and half time work during undergrad. I would not do it again.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Assuming you still want to be a counselor, have you considered looking for a job in the field or something related so you can try it out without committing to two years of school? It may be possible to get a similar job with a non-relevant bachelors or a certificate. Or maybe you could work on the degree concurrently.

Counseling has a high burnout rate and you don't want to find out in two years that you don't like it. A master's in counselling is only good for getting counselling jobs as far as I know.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

My concern with an online degree program would be connections. Do I meet enough people in the field to have good opportunities when I graduate? Face to face experience could also be relevant, for those in helping professions.

Stacking a full time graduate degree with full time work sounds overwhelming. Maybe I lack the hunger of youth. I did a full time degree and half time work during undergrad. I would not do it again.
I have completed two 'taught' degrees during my career, the first (earlier) was obtained via distance learning from an elite institution (UK) and had a typical summer school residential. The more recent was wholly online, no face to face and from the Open University (a wholly distance teaching university but reasonably highly regarded). I ended up being on the staff of both of these institutions and responsible for the delivery of the first programme (commissioning courses, designing resources and student support etc) and academic lead of the latter. It was very engaging work and the students on both courses were probably better in many ways for networking with than the full time equivalents. Typically online courses attract students who are unable to study full time - older, those with family responsibilities, disability or demanding/inflexible work. That is the position in the UK anyhow. For vocational degree subjects there is a lot of benefit discussing case studies with students who have years of experience to call on and a diversity of opinions and skills. That is more likely to happen when you are studying alongside part-time students (my opinion). But you do need an accredited and reputable university and put effort into the optional study groups and such as well as just doing the reading and writing assignments.

For most online courses where there is professional accreditation at the end you (here in the UK anyhow) have to have links with an employer to be able to undertake placements. Its common for employers to fund, or at least part-fund, a masters by part-time study as part of professional development.

So, I would recommend this route if you know what you would like to do. Over the nearly 40 years of my own working life the 30 years working in education (across many contexts) while not wonderfully well paid was usually absolutely absorbing and worthwhile. Frustrating and mind-boggling too. I preferred it to the corporate world. Until right at the end, when I realised I did not want the next stage and I was FI enough to choose exactly what I do with my time. Ten years is not long if you are enjoying yourself. Hope that you find something where that is true.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

Three more things about online courses.

* They tend to have a more national and sometimes international cohort when compared with courses (even part-time ones) which are offered by a bricks-and-mortar institution and campus based. That has implications for who you meet.
* They are commonly regarded as harder to get a good degree in than face to face (but I think for INTJ/INTP they may be easier than for other MBTI types). Particularly because as Scott 2 says, doing these and full time is a huge commitment. Also because the person tutoring is usually not the person responsible for the assessment so you don't get short cut clues in the same way you may on some face to face courses. Less easy passes and short cuts, more DIY. (Should appeal to ERE types).
* They also have high drop out rates because this mode of study may be the only way possible way that many students perceive that they can get this degree and apply regardless of their aptitude/availability for study,

Do your research and choose an institution with a track record. You don't want to be some guinea pig for an institution that thinks that this is a cheap way to teach. Done properly its not.

Garbo13

Post by Garbo13 »

I am currently studying for an online bachelors degree in the UK with the Open University and I already hold a bachelors degree in another field from a very highly ranked brick and mortar university.

My experience of studying online and part-time with the Open University has been excellent. The course materials and teaching quality are far, far superior to what I received many years ago in my first degree. The tutors are much more responsive and available when I need help.

I had a poor experience during my first degree where the staff just didn’t care about the students. Their primary focus was on doing research and we were just something that got in their way.