Music you make

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
Jean

Music you make

Post by Jean »

Hi, I'm pretty sure many forumite produce music in some way.
I would be curious to ear what you make, and happy to share what I make.
Here I start
What I did instead of writing my thesis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbIbwR24rQ
What I did instead of getting a job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-F57mblL3w

edit:i corrected the first link
Last edited by Jean on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Re: Music you make

Post by daylen »

I'm looking to get into metalworking. I am researching high frequency drum designs. Has anyone experimented with this?

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

I recently put a few tracks on my Soundcloud. I was hoping to finish off a few more and release as an EP on Bandcamp but I've been a bit too busy to compose recently.

I have some academic background in music, but after I switched courses I didn't do much with it for a very long time. Just recently I've started writing again, I do really enjoy it and I'd like to see if I can bring in a few dollars here and there by selling some tunes. I don't know how realistic this is, but digital distribution is getting easier and easier so it's worth a try. I compose on my laptop currently - in the future I'd love to get a few more musical instruments in my house again, especially so my daughter can play with them too, but in my current situation it's not really an appropriate investment.

@Jean - 'Peinture du Dimanche' is the name of the album? Well I'll say it's not to my tastes, but I'll try to comment anyway. The first part really reminded me of the Doom soundtrack in both the instrumentation and the style. I wonder what you're using to create the music? I find the first introduction of the vocals to be terribly abrasive, but I know that some people go for that kind of thing. For me, after a while the various parts don't work together, too many clashes, the various themes aren't relating to each other - I think that this is probably what you're going for though.

Also, both your links are the same so you might want to check that.

RFS

Post by RFS »

C'est manifique! Which DAW do you use? Perhaps when I'm FI, I'll download FL Studio and get to work. There's a YouTube channel named BusyWorksBeats that has some excellent tutorials.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Thank you for listening. I corrected the first link. You might like the first album. I'm curious on how you feeled when listening at peinture du dimanche, especialy as a non french speaker, because my goal was to transmit my feeling trough music. My second album sounds like i wanted it to. Even if it's very unfinished.
You might like the first album more, because it is more musical.
I listened to your two tracks. They feel empty to me. Maybe we just don't have anything to tell eachother. Like when a dog smells someone butt, and it's too clean to give any information about himself. I really don't wan't to be mean. It's so hard to write and share ones work, and I really appreciate that you did. I hope it

Solvent

Post by Solvent »

Well I'm getting dangerously close to calling myself a French speaker, but perhaps I'm inappropriately overconfident. Particularly as I'm no longer in a French-speaking city.

Your analogy of the dogs sniffing is humorous and perhaps appropriate. I think we are very different, including probably in musical tastes, and that's OK!

Criticism of any art is hard, and I feel like I used to be better at it, but I don't mix in artistic circles and discuss art with friends much anymore. So I've lost whatever proficiency I had. One can know what art (or music) one likes and what one does not, but being able to somewhat objectively express what one finds good or bad is hard. Par exemple, I'm not a big Beatles fan but if I were to say the most popular band of all time is 'bad' I'd be an idiot.

One of the things that I initially wanted to be critical of with your music was that it is repetitive. But I held back, with good reason! Because I like music that is repetitive! I make music that is repetitive! So it's clearly not repetitiveness that is bothering me, it's something else, but I can't quite figure out what it is. TL;DR: criticism is hard and takes practice.

I use FL Studio to make music at the moment. I'm amazed at how far Midi and virtual instruments have come over the 17 years or so since I first took notice of them. I would love to check out more Youtube tutorials but unfortunately my home internet is not really up to Youtube, or at least I can only do so for short bursts - I have to prioritise! What I have noticed is that there are also a ton of very crap tutorials, giving very bad music advice. I may be coming from a privileged position but I'd say if you know absolutely zero music theory, you probably ought to learn some in order to use a DAW. I think with no music knowledge, noodling around on a keyboard or guitar will get you better results, quicker, than trying to randomly click notes into a music program and hoping something not-terrible comes out by chance. But there are tutorials that claim to teach you to compose without having to know any music theory! Really, just go and learn the basics, it's not astrophysics...