Shiller PE at 31.49

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
IlliniDave

Re: Shiller PE at 31.49

Post by IlliniDave »

frommi wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:00 am
I apologize, i shouldn`t have started this discussion. I always forget that there are people out there that are not interested in investing and that are using index funds for convenience. Thats fine!
How many people who are not interested investing take the time to make forward-looking estimates of equity returns based on the Shiller PE or even know what the Shiller PE is or how to make the calculation reasonably? ;)

No need to apologize. In general I am quite interested in investing and enjoy talking about it. I think the majority of my participation on this site is in discussions related to investing. I recently mentioned in a different thread that for many years I was engaged in trying to "beat the market". In 30 years I've come out about 0.2% ahead of the SP500. I am skeptical that I can equal that going forward, much less beat it. The reason is that I'm hitting that stage in life where my temperament will not allow me to simultaneously take as much or more risk as I did as a younger man with decades of professional employment ahead and, as they say, sleep well at night. Exposing myself to potential losses larger than I can afford for maybe 0.1% or 0.2% of extra return doesn't make sense.

I did not voluntarily get into index funds. A number of years back my employer redid the roster in the 401k plan to include only low cost funds, the majority of which are index funds. Prior to that they did the "performance chasing" dance of selecting funds with high Morningstar ratings and then dumping them a few years later when the returns inevitably began to lag. When Morningstar themselves concluded that their own ratings were poor predictors of relative future performance, and that the only reliable predictor of relative future performance they could find was the cost of the fund, my employer made the switch. Jack Bogle calls this (sort of tongue-in-cheek) the "Cost Matters Hypothesis", and CMH, rather than EMH, is the secret sauce to index funds, insofar as there is one.

I was initially angry about the makeover. I did not want to quit my job and the plan does not allow in-service rollovers into an IRA, so I was stuck. This happened 2 months after my idle daydream of early retirement solidified into The Plan. My 401k was a substantial component of that plan so I was at least interested enough in the topic of investing that I spent several months investigating index funds.

An interesting side note: index funds in a roundabout way led me to bogleheads.org. After a while there I began to feel like a resident of the Island of Misfit Toys because my plan to retire early was based much more on an ability to be content/happy with a frugal life than amassing a great fortune at a young age. There is a small minority of frugal souls over there and long story short, participation there is what ultimately led me here, after I heard whispers of this guy named Jacob who was like MMM on steroids. :)

Anyway, I'm veering too far off topic. In time I concluded I could make things work with index funds, and as a few years have passed I've concluded further that they are the best choice for me for the core of my portfolio. The point being: it wasn't laziness or disinterest that led me to that conclusion.

I'm not sitting with all my money in an SP500 index fund (the universal straw man of owning index funds). I don't consider my portfolio to be sophisticated, but beyond the standard US total market exposure, I have significant equity exposure to overseas developed markets, emerging markets, and US small caps. So within my willingness to put my money at risk, I'm making some plays for a little extra return. But I'm also increasingly concerned about stability, so I'm incrementally ratcheting up my bond holdings. That's a painful thing for me to do. It's a substantial drag on the return of my portfolio but it is something that in all likelihood will limit my downside risk. I'm coming into the phase of my investing life were I am most vulnerable to sequence of returns risk.

The one place I do throw caution to the wind and allow myself to have a little fun indulging in trying to beat the market is in my little backdoor Roth IRA. So far in 5 years the approximate score is SP500 15.5%/yr, iDave 9.9%/yr. Five years isn't very long, but when I look at that tally and contemplate leaving work under conditions dependent on me beating the market for success, I get a little queasy.

For all that I recognize that there are many roads that lead to Dublin and that the approach to investing that works best for me is only that. What is truly optimal is only knowable in hindsight. My personable belief is that for the vast majority people successful investing is much more a game of behavior and emotion than of intellect. The conclusion from that is different people can reasonably come up different approaches that are both best suited for them and reasonably likely to lead to successful outcomes. I don't consider other approaches "wrong". I hope everyone here has successes beyond their wildest dreams with their investments. That said, I admit to having a bit of a compulsion to rise and take the bait when I see little quips tossed around implying people who use index funds as an element of their financial strategy are an inferior species. But to me it's all in good fun and is educational. I don't need or want a safe space when my ideas are challenged. A little fire refines and strengthens them.

Last thing (I promise!) is that I anticipate a time in the future where I will not want to spend any meaningful portion of time managing investments. For me investing is a means to an end, and as the end is realized my patience for allowing the management task to detract from it will wane. There are a few things I might try for fun. I've never bought a stock in my life (only mutual funds/investment trusts). Someday I might take a little dollop of my taxable account money and make a game of trying my hand at putting together a little stock portfolio. It seems like a healthier activity than going to Las Vegas. But the part of the stash that will be keeping me warm and fed I foresee gradually maneuvering so it can operate on near-autopilot.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

+1 IlliniDave
I buy index funds for the low cost diversification, not because I believe in strong EMH.

arcyallen

Post by arcyallen »

Why? Index funds are just portfolio pieces, not religious vows.
It's been my experience with most indexers that it's MORE than a religious vow! Even if you give every reason in the world why there may be a better alternative, most just put their fingers in their ears rock back and forth and repeat "No,no,no" over and over...

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

arcyallen wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 pm
It's been my experience with most indexers that it's MORE than a religious vow! Even if you give every reason in the world why there may be a better alternative, most just put their fingers in their ears rock back and forth and repeat "No,no,no" over and over...
Maybe it is not their ears, but the list of reasons. My experience has been that most people who try to talk people who buy index funds out of them really don't understand what index funds are, nor do they understand the goals of people who buy them. If I'm putting on my Muck boots to go work in the garden and somebody tells me they are no good for sailing so I should change into something else, I'm unlikely to give them much of my attention.

liberty

Post by liberty »

@IlliniDave you don't need to take on more risk in order to beat the market. Trend following, for example, gives (slightly) higher returns with much lower risk. Why not choose a rule based strategy (that has worked historically) and follow that?

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Fantastic post Dave, thanks a lot for taking the time to write it (I’m talking about the longer one above)

arcyallen wrote:
I would maybe agree with you if we were on bogleheads or on MMM forum, but not here.
This place is much more open minded than that, I would suggest you take some time to scan the investments trade log thread to find an easy example.
I would also be curious to hear about your better alternatives.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

liberty wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:22 pm
@IlliniDave you don't need to take on more risk in order to beat the market. Trend following, for example, gives (slightly) higher returns with much lower risk. Why not choose a rule based strategy (that has worked historically) and follow that?
The biggest problem I see for me is that my taxable assets are quickly catching up with my retirement assets and I've seen evidence that suggests even modest transaction costs can wipe out the advantage demonstrated in back testing. The context I've seen trend following looked at in detail is looking it's effects on drawdown longevity rather than total growth, so I don't have an opinion on the latter. It will be interesting to see what happens when the next bear market threatens and the MA threshold is crossed and all the people poised to implement Faber's paper act in unison. It might be a good day to buy! That also seems like a good candidate to hand off to a money manager. Having been through a couple heavy downturns with appreciable money at stake, I know from experience it's really tough for my human brain to overcome my reptile brain. I lack confidence I could stick to it.

Beyond that I don't do good with rules and I'm not diehard buy-and-hold guy anyway. I use what I've heard called "tactical asset allocation" (less rigid than trend following less extreme than bouncing between 100/0 and 0/100, something I feel confident I act on without behavioral blunders). I go a little off PE ratios and a lot off intuition. In the end though, I want a portfolio that I don't have to monitor (my retirement plan includes spending around half my time largely off grid). Seems much easier to work an extra year or two and drive my SWR down to 0.5% or so, and deal with a simplified portfolio once a year when I reach RMD age. It's the crude fix-everything-with-a-big-hammer approach but I'm not out to wow anyone with my financial sophistication. I'm an introvert so there's no one to wow! :D

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

@illinidave. Thanks for sharing what you are thinking. I can relate and agree with most you have said.

Why are so many intent to identify with their system? Is there really a system to something as independent of systems as the stock exchange? But then again, without a strategy or at least a compass, it is aimlessly wandering.

I was quite proud of my moves to totally miss the last fall. But I could have done better getting back in sooner. I guess it's the unpredictable nature of life to keep us all interested?

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

My personal opinion is that, outside an unexpected event, an actual crash is unlikely--instead, the "correction" would take the form of years of negligible real returns. My plan to account for this is to eventually move toward paying down our mortgage rather than investing in stocks. I don't like the idea of having uninvested cash (greater than an emergency fund) around.

arcyallen

Post by arcyallen »

Seppia wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:38 pm
Fantastic post Dave, thanks a lot for taking the time to write it (I’m talking about the longer one above)

arcyallen wrote:
I would maybe agree with you if we were on bogleheads or on MMM forum, but not here.
This place is much more open minded than that, I would suggest you take some time to scan the investments trade log thread to find an easy example.
I would also be curious to hear about your better alternatives.
And THAT'S why I'm here instead of the MMM or Boglehead forums - two great examples of sites filled with apparently smart people who a)Are convinced they have it all figured out (great!) but b)Don't want to hear how there might be a better idea that exists. It's clear there is more discussion (talking AND listening) here.

I always want to hear the different ideas. I, too, think I have it all figured out. I also thought that 20 and 10 years ago :D . I have realized the best I can hope for is to simply keep getting better by listening, thinking, and THEN talking.

As for better alternatives, I am an unabashed fan of American Funds - the company, and their funds. Most generic objections people have to actively managed funds don't actually apply, and the ones that do don't bother me. AGTHX is probably my favorite example, but there are more. Every domestic stock American Fund has beaten the S&P over the last 20 years, for example. Some with less volatility. I'm very familiar with them as an investor, and professionally when I was a financial advisor.

I accept that the vast majority of active funds have lagged their indexes over long periods of time. Something like 99.7% over 30 years if my memory serves me right. But no one ever talks about that remaining .3%...

frommi

Post by frommi »

Augustus wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:40 pm

Because my time is limited, and I'm in the accumulation phase, it makes the most sense to chase the most money with my time. Earning an extra 2% equates to much less than I can earn if I focus on other income generating activities. In a similar vein, you'll probably get a better return by cutting consumption than studying various investment techniques as well. If you're past the accumulation phase, you've cut your expenses, and you have free time, sure go to town on learning different strategies. Some day, maybe, I'll take a bigger interest, but for now if I can stay near market returns that's good enough for me. I think I'll pay a lot more attention near the end of working, and the beginning of retirement, as I'll need to lower risk and optimize returns at that point, those activities provide the best returns at that phase of my life.
It is better to make investing mistakes early, because later in life they are much more expensive. To me it is just irrational to know something will return just 0-2% for the next 10-15 years and not acting on that knowledge.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

What Augustus is saying is that if he can get 7% by indexing, he isn’t going to spend loads of time trying to actively manage and get 9%. An extra 2% on $100k is only $2k a year, and that’s not worth it for we still accumulating.

frommi

Post by frommi »

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 am
What Augustus is saying is that if he can get 7% by indexing, he isn’t going to spend loads of time trying to actively manage and get 9%. An extra 2% on $100k is only $2k a year, and that’s not worth it for we still accumulating.
Yes, and that would be reasonable. But you not only get the 2k, you also get a very valuable skill that is much more valuable as your asset size grows and that can eventually be monetized by running other peoples money. And at the current point in time you are looking at 0% by indexing vs. 10-15% being active. (or more depending on how deep you are willing to go, but of course you won`t get these returns by buying funds that take a huge amount out of that return and that are very likely only index huggers/asset gatherers!).
The more this current rally goes on the more interesting it is to be an active investor. From 2000->2007 it was easy to beat the market, and right now we are at a similar junction.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

arcyallen wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:47 pm
As for better alternatives, I am an unabashed fan of American Funds - the company, and their funds. Most generic objections people have to actively managed funds don't actually apply, and the ones that do don't bother me. AGTHX is probably my favorite example, but there are more. Every domestic stock American Fund has beaten the S&P over the last 20 years, for example. Some with less volatility. I'm very familiar with them as an investor, and professionally when I was a financial advisor.

I accept that the vast majority of active funds have lagged their indexes over long periods of time. Something like 99.7% over 30 years if my memory serves me right. But no one ever talks about that remaining .3%...
Interesting thanks
I personally never looked into funds before I knew about indexes (circa 2012).
I am 37, started investing around 2006, and at the time the only things we knew here in europe were either individual stocks or expensive funds.
I started a sort of "mini-self indexing", buying 4-5 stocks in different sectors
My choices at the time (I was living in france) were Royal Ductch, Axa, Siemens, Danone and GlaxoSmithKline if I remember correctly (there was some Saint Gobain as well somewhere).
Now I am finding my balance, trying to run a live test on myself to see if i can beat the market
So i have approximately 50% of my new money invested in indexes (not exactly passively, but almost) and 50% in individual stocks.
I have been tracking the performance since January 2016 (a good starting point since I moved back to europe after 6 years in the states) and rather unsurprisingly the performances have been fairly close.
Excluding dividends (which are about the same) I currently stand at +22,8% with my stocks and +20.5% with the indexes. I've had periods where the ETFs were slightly ahead, and periods where the opposite came true.
Ideally, I will continue to keep track of the performance for a while, then hopefully in 10-15 years I'll have a better understanding.

As others have noted, I'm at the point of my life where I do not obsess about a 0,5% over/underperformance because it's a rounding error.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:16 am
Actually +2%/yr compounded is huge. I think the point is more related to what arcyallen said above. If 99.7% (assuming it's the right number) of full time, professional, well educated, managers swimming in all the financial and other resources of Wall Street, fall below in the long run, what are the odds of a part-timer sustaining +2%/year? So the question for us all is do we want to risk falling 2% below for a chance at coming in 2% above? It depends on the odds of each outcome, or to what extent a propensity to gamble exists in our temperaments.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

frommi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:14 am

It is better to make investing mistakes early, because later in life they are much more expensive. To me it is just irrational to know something will return just 0-2% for the next 10-15 years and not acting on that knowledge.
Looking at things less myopically and more holistically, there are a wide range of potential actions outside of activities involving stocks to address that.

Following that logic to its extreme, we are all irrational for not simply starting up a business that will make us billionaires at age 30.

Mister Imperceptible

As I said, +2% can make a difference, but not so much for an early accumulator. I’m already busy working 60+ hours a week. Are you are selling me the idea that the knowledge gained is what makes it worthwhile? (I don’t think that you are.) That’s when I feel like I’m entering into a pyramid scheme.

It’s more as you say- how confident am I that I can beat the market. With how much I work I can’t spend the time researching that the professionals do.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 am
As I said, +2% can make a difference, but not so much for an early accumulator. I’m already busy working 60+ hours a week. Are you are selling me the idea that the knowledge gained is what makes it worthwhile? (I don’t think that you are.) That’s when I feel like I’m entering into a pyramid scheme.

It’s more as you say- how confident am I that I can beat the market. With how much I work I can’t spend the time researching that the professionals do.
Actually, for an early accumulator making an extra 2% compound return over many decades is quite substantial, but that wasn't really my point. The point was that among all those people out there striving for that extra 2% only a minority don't wind up with some negative percent return relative to "the market" for their trouble.

You are correct--when you look at things in a pass/fail sense, income and savings rate are where the heavy lifting is when it comes to achieving FI, at least for most of us.

Mister Imperceptible

👍

I know, I came in with an “edge” this morning. Unnecessarily so.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@Augustus - No, fromni is looking forward from the current point in time. High CAPE means that expected market returns are near 0% or even slightly negative---you can plot CAPE vs 10 year returns to see this. The market can proceed in two ways (and other trajectories in between)---lest this is an statistical outlier and things just keep going up. The extremes are a flat non-volatile market that just goes sideways (like the 1970s)... or a market that drops 50% and then comes back up (like the 2007-2015) period. It's very hard to beat a bull market (2009-2018) actively without leverage ... it's a lot easier to beat a range-bound market because mean-reversion (value methods) work.

As shown by research: https://www.amazon.com/More-Than-You-Kn ... 231143729/