Montreal Meetup - September 15

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
wringham

Montreal Meetup - September 15

Post by wringham »

Hi all,

I know there are some Montreal-based people here, so why don't we do a meetup? Taking the initiative:

When - Monday September 15th, 2pm
Where - Mile End Library (main courtyard)

I'm not married to that date/place. We can always change it if someone has a better suggestion and/or we can move elsewhere once we've assembled.

Rob

wringham

Re: Montreal Meetup - September 15

Post by wringham »

Hi everyone,

I assume nobody's planning to come to this. That's fine! But post here if you do fancy it otherwise I won't be there.

R

flamen

Post by flamen »

Montreal here (and new to the forum). We can meet but only starting spring. I am not going out of hibernation until then

Lydz

Post by Lydz »

Oh hey I just saw this message. I'd be up for a meeting in Montreal whenever :) It'd be so nice to meet other like-minded people!

Bobby McGee

Post by Bobby McGee »

Anyone in the Montreal area ?
Any interest for a meeting ?

flamen

Post by flamen »

@Lydz @Bobby McGee @wringham

I am still in Montreal.

For whatever reason, new posts on the topic are not emailed to me although I have subscribed to the topic. Whatever. Please use the contact button

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Hello all,

Is there people in Montreal right now ? Will head there soon.

flamen

Post by flamen »

I am still in Mtl. Hibernating.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Alright, is this a permanent state of yours ? Would you consider digging a hole out of your den to peek at the sunlight ?

flamen

Post by flamen »

As I write temp is heading to -20C or something like that. It's springtime we count the survivors

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Are you still hibernating ? Looks like spring is coming... Although, maybe not this weekend.

flamen

Post by flamen »

I am wandering out these days. I flip my hibernation switch around -15 or so. To get closer to the topic: these low temps are making life a lot more expensive than Jacob's California. Cannot live here in an RV more than you can in Siberia...

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

-15 C is a reasonable threshold . I would not like to be out in that humid, bone shaking cold. It is much more dry in Siberia. My threshold is around -30C, which would probably feel like a -15 in Mtl.
It is all about perspective. A friend of mine here lives in a 5th wheel year round, he has a woodstove to keep him warm. That is cheap living. My own living arrangement is close to Jacob's California in terms of cost and I live between four solid walls and a ''real'' roof. It is all about finding your own solutions. Lots of cheap apartment in Mtl or just outside of the island.
Which part of of the city do you live in?

flamen

Post by flamen »

Cote des Neiges. Mostly immigrants and UdM students. Both categories are being fleeced by landlords, with high rents compared to the rest of Montreal (and still low when compared to other big Canadian cities; and cathing up, the Canadian RE bubble has not popped yet). Overall a mix of slums, normal housing and a couple of rich enclaves. Good ethnic groceries, good transportation, every other service is poor. Higher than average criminality, fueled by poverty.

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

This topic is hilarious! Doesn't sound like there's enough of a following to get an event going, but I'm glad there's like minded folks nearby.

I'm in Ottawa and might be able to make it out if we get something together.

Colibri

Post by Colibri »

Hi Demosthenese, in deed not much members in Montreal, don't even count the ones hibernating...
I don't live in Montreal myself but I often visit and is probably the only big city where I have any potential to connect with like minded people about ERE. I will be there again this summer. Maybe we could look at organizing something at that time.

Flamen, what about looking at other neighbourhoods ? Many members of my family lived in St-Henri and Verdun at some point in their lifes. Cheap rent, close to the metro and good services if you keep close to the main arteries. Plus if you like a little bit of green space, the canal lachine and St-Laurent are close by. Just a thought.....

flamen

Post by flamen »

Ottawa could be a better meeting spot, it all depends on where is the critical mass of people interested in. Should not be that hard for me to drive for a couple hours,

Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Maybe we could combine forces with MMM forumites. There are a fair number of them kicking around according to this map (whether or not they are active is another story)..

http://goo.gl/maps/0FV0K

Lydz

Post by Lydz »

Didn't think this post was still alive actually! I don't check the forum that often actually but if a meeting is planned in Montreal I'll be happy to join.!

flamen

Post by flamen »

If we keep shaking the tree then, eventually, enough people will fall into a meetup :)