2021 (Old 2018) Goals/Resolutions Thread

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
SustainableHappiness

2021 (Old 2018) Goals/Resolutions Thread

Post by SustainableHappiness »

I didn’t see any other thread devoted to this, so I figured I’d start one!

Where will your Web of Goals aim to go this year? Doesn’t matter if it’s tactical or overarching, let’s hear your goals for 2018…If you want to call them resolutions that’s cool too.

Here are mine:

- Sell last house and be done with direct real estate for a while
- Solidify a 10-15 hour workweek with a focus on working from home
- Work on another baby
- Figure out how to and invest lumpsum from real estate returns
- Stay healthy
- Keep happy family
Last edited by SustainableHappiness on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Re: 2018 Goals/Resolutions Thread

Post by daylen »

Finish a book.

C40

Post by C40 »

I just updated my goals, though they aren't specifically related to the calendar year:

- Fitness improvements. Need to set actual goals. In general, I want to get back into shape that I'm proud of
- Hobby income increase - I'd love to get my hobby income high enough to cover my spending. I'll probably be willing to devote about 5 days per month to this. If I achieve this, all my investing income and growth would be extra and allow my N.W. to increase, thus providing more money for buying land/home, expensive medical stuff, toys,
- House helping and building - my sister has been thinking/planning to buy a bit of land and build an earthbag house. If that happens, I'll go out there and spend many months helping them prep the land, build the house, etc. And, hopefully, also build a small house for myself... This one is a little tricky because it depends on my sister doing all of that, and her and her partner do kind of decide on plans and then change them a month later, so there's a good chance that this won't happen this year. If it happens next year, or in 2020, I'll still have this goal
- Mental happiness/tranquility/clarity/etc.. Been reading a book on meditation and have started some fairly regular meditation practice. I'm not exactly sure what I want here, other than to be happier or better in some way..

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

- Actually hit the Submit button here more often, instead of typing things and deleting them in the end anyway. Use my journal to keep me on my toes.
- Automate the boring things and/or make it habitual. I want to have systems (social/mental/physical) in place to help me habitually do things that are good for me long term.
- Eat and drink healthier (for some definition of healthy). Less meat, dairy and alcohol.
- Work on my salt-levels when I lose at (board) games.
- Read 1 page a day. If I start reading, I read a lot, but usually I don't make the time to read. One page a day is doable and will often lead to more.
- Be a better friend, and initiate contact more often.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Let see:

-Get down to pant's size 40 or below; down to 46 now and well on my way to 44.
-Finish a book.
-Save about 1,000 euros by the end of the year.
-Stay on track to finish my Master's within two years.
-Learn what I need to start my own think-tank in Estoina.
-Eat less red meat and meatless monday, which I am well on my way doing.
-Cut out the zero calorie soda and move onto towards tea and coffee.
-Try to socialize.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Max out 401k, HSA, and Roth IRA.

Add 5k to my taxable account, and 15k to cash.

Read 30 books - half fiction and half non-fiction.

Play another season of summer volleyball.

Eat more green, leafy vegetables.

Weight train 2 to 3 times a week.

Go hiking more.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

I am focusing more on emotionally/spiritually oriented goals this year because my task oriented goals are always regularly mapped out regardless of time of year.

- Find a partner. This means allocating far less time for casual sex and far more for dating.

- Be generous and kind to other people. Trusting unless proven otherwise and less suspicious. Focus on other people and making them feel good.

- Focus on spiritual matters more, more regular mediation, reading of spiritual principles and attending spiritual discussion groups and events.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Ugh, I'm still working on a plan. Last year was _not fun_ and I'm at the point where I don't know whether to work towards getting things back to the way they were before or to cut bait and aim for something new.

-- I had some difficult relationships last year. I need to work on repairing those. Or give up on them like I said above.

-- I had a bad year health-wise. They want me to have one more surgery, after which I think I'm telling them all to fuck off and finding a naturopath.

-- I'm no longer writing. I can't sit around doing nothing so I started a business. Nothing big, but it makes me feel like I'm using my skill set enough so it won't atrophy.

-- blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I'm stuck. I can't find anything intellectually stimulating. I have no trouble keeping busy, but I'm lost for direction at the moment. I kinda feel like I've mastered everything in this level so to speak, but I can't find the magic door where I can level up and start learning new things. I suppose a change in perspective is probably what's needed ... a paradigm shift of some sort ... and that's on me to figure out.

EdithKeeler

Post by EdithKeeler »

Jennypenny, I sure can relate to that feeling of being stuck. I was driving home from work thinking that this year is pretty much going to be a repeat of last year, which sort of sucked. Coulda been worse, but I don’t much feel like I’m moving forward.

My resolutions are:

1. Minimize eating out. Pack breakfasts and lunches for week. Make coffee at home on weekends.
2. Eat meat 4 days week or less. More fruits and veg
3. Write every week
4. Keep house tidier. De clutter
5. Set a timer on phone and internet use
6. Finish all unfinished projects
7. Spend more time with DBF. Move that relationship forward or move it out
8. Save at least 12k outside of retirement funds.
9. Go to bed earlier/get better sleep. (To that end I just bought a pillow for $100 tonight. That better be the best freakin pillow on the planet...

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I don't really do the whole resolution thing, but I'd like to continue developing the good habits I've been working on for the past 6 months or so.

1. Eat no meat.
2. Daily cardio a minimum of 4 times a week.
3. Knock 2K off of annual expenses.
4. Start each day by reading or being in the garden for 2 hours (weather determining which).
5. Minimal time on the computer apart from work.

slsdly

Post by slsdly »

Drink less; I wouldn't say I drink a lot now, but I'd like my uncommon 2 drinks nights to become 1, and my 1 drink nights to become 0. Avoid temptation to use online dating again. Recover from an injury last year so I can return to yoga.

fips

Post by fips »

I switched from New Year's resolutions to continuosly refined and documented challenges.
Currently on my plate:

1) Study more and pass the exams.
2) Have a more regular sleeping schedule, so that I feel rested.
3) Reduce spending from a lazy high level.
4) Spend a lot less time on Facebook, Youtube, Whatsapp and similar; substitute by more active activities (anything else on this list with a focus on creating/improving/going out of my comfort zone).
5) Read more.
6) Meditate daily.
7) Floss daily.
8) Do a human flag (ha! any tips, anyone?).

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

1) Wash my hands at least 10X /day while singing "Happy Birthday" all the way through twice. No other goal or resolution can be seriously attempted until I break the vicious cycle of viral bronchitis and severe asthma which has latched on like vice grip upon my bronchi. Oxygen is like #1 with a bullet on Maslow's hierarchy.

2) If (1) does not suffice, I may be forced to quit teaching and enroll myself as token old female in some data science boot camp.

C40

Post by C40 »

10 happy birthday songs a day is liable to drive a person insane! Might want to mix it up.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, that's what my BF told me too, except in more grouchy manner. I might have to dump him when I am done with phlegm and/or* if he runs out of ginger cookies to go with my tea.

*Warming up for Data Science Camp with some gate work. Yay me!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

(Sorry for the OT)

@7W5 -- DS has CF so we've tried just about every method for keeping school germs at bay. My suggestions are ...
* wear a mask (most effective)
* wear glasses to remind yourself not to touch your eyes and avoid catching 'spray' from a sneeze
* related ... use nasal gel to stop penetration through the nose
* wear rubber gloves (change after bathroom, before eating), they help with prevention as well as reminding you not to touch yourself
* shower at night ... lots of germs can live on other parts including your hair, so washing off at night helps to prevent infecting yourself in bed
* get your students to sneeze into their elbows like vampires ... if they don't want to gunk up their sleeve they can wear a face mask on the elbow (backwards) to catch the gunk

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@jennypenny:

Thanks for the suggestions. You just made me realize that I could avoid touching my face if I switched over to reading bifocals! As it is, I am constantly moving my readers on and off the top of my head throughout the day. Showering before bed is another one I would have never come up with spontaneously. I wear my hair in a braid, so I had some protection during the lice outbreak, but didn't consider that other organisms might still be able to hop aboard. It's almost impossible to avoid sharing germs with very young students, because they still need a good deal of direct assistance, and they want to cuddle a bit when you read them a book. Also, I am frequently working with kids from less than ideal home situations, which increases the likelihood that they will be sent to school when ill. I actually felt compelled to research the symptoms of tuberculosis.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Yeah, when you think about how dirty hair can get and then most people put their head on the pillow at night and push their faces into it ... yuck. I also wash my readers every time I wash my hands because I touch them too often as well.

You could always turn the vampire sneezing lesson into a craft project. Give them all masks to wear on their sleeves and have them draw bullseyes on them so they have a target for sneezing. :)

I guess we should all add 'avoid getting sick' to our list of goals for 2018, even if it's only for financial reasons.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

EdithKeeler wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 pm
...6. Finish all unfinished projects...
In case you're one of 'us' analytical planners here's a small piece of advice.

Totally giving up on a project that is neither urgent nor important is the same as finishing it. It's also a LOT let stressful.

Just because you put that boat in water a long time ago doesn't mean you can't put a hole in the bottom of it today. In other words: quitting is often the fastest and most stressfree way to finish a project.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

fips wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 am
4) Spend a lot less time on ... Youtube, ...
8) Do a human flag (ha! any tips, anyone?).
I highly recommend Carl Paoli's youtube channel, Gymnastics WOD.
He breaks bodyweight skills down to the biomechanics level. I learned pistol squats in a single day from his tutorial.