ERE WIKI updating

Meetups, joint projects, classifieds, dating, exchanges, buying, selling, etc.
JL13

ERE WIKI updating

Post by JL13 »

The wiki seems to be more of a snapshot than an evolving encyclopedia, I feel like it's not getting the attention that it may deserve. I would kind of like it to the a FAQ/starting place for general questions/common solutions/frameworks. For example, I just moved to a new state and I need to furnish my place and I was hoping for some heuristics for design/coordination/minimizing total cost of ownership. I loaded the wiki and searched furniture but found that it's not even a category.

I kind of picture the Wiki having more potential. It might be a good place to practical application of ERE principles, that can be easily updated as trends and the environment change. Does anyone else have any interest in seeing the Wiki expanded?

Fish

Re: ERE WIKI updating

Post by Fish »

Specifically, what topics would you like to see on the wiki? We can take requests and add content as interest permits. (Also see this thread for wiki coordination: viewtopic.php?t=1620)

The forum format seems to work better for most topics given the current size of the community and level of participation. A forum offers visibility of recent content, and everyone has a voice in the discussion. Wikis are better for compiling and organizing information, as well as keeping links up to date. Perhaps the wiki could best serve as an index for forum threads until we have the critical mass to develop wiki-specific content.

Here is the long range plan from the cult leader. We’re a few years behind schedule.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/musta ... /#msg23159
jacob wrote:The very long term plan is to turn earlyretirementextreme into a portal with an overview of the concepts linking to the wiki and supported by the forums. The blog will then be a minor part of this and mainly used for historical purposes. However, I currently lack to webmaster skills to make this as well as the motivation to write the text. But perhaps in a year or two.

m741

Post by m741 »

Sure, it would be great to expand it. But... it's a wiki - I don't think anything is stopping you?

You could also ping people to add content, if you think they have the expertise. I don't think anyone would be offended.

finity

Post by finity »

On the one hand I like the idea, because there is so much content hidden deep in the forum's threads. Some of the things I'd like to have in the wiki are only related to ERE, like ego's daring adventure videos. On the other hand, I'm not sure what kind of content other people would like to have included and I also don't feel like adding anything myself, as I'm not a big writer ;). It probably won't work unless a lot of people start adding content to the WIKI and/or there is a central coordinator.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

There's a bit of a catch-22 with having a coordinator. I tried filling that role and would move information over regularly from the forum to the wiki. The problem was then everyone assumed I would move anything pertinent over so no one else bothered. I thought I was encouraging people to contribute but I think it had the opposite effect.

I'd be willing to take on that role again, but the problem IMO is then you have a 'filtered' version of the information. No matter how inclusive I try to be, I'll still be curating it in some fashion and I think that might unintentionally limit the scope of information.

finity

Post by finity »

@jennypenny thank you for your work :)
Maybe we should all start to actively encourage people to put certain content into the wiki, whenever someone posts something very worthwhile or interesting. Someone more experienced like you could put it in the right place or edit it, to be a good match for the wiki, if it's not yet.

Maybe I will start putting into the wiki a few german-centric things within the next weeks. I may need some spelling and grammar correction, though :lol:

m741

Post by m741 »

@finity - I love proofreading (not kidding). PM me when you make changes and I'll look them over.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

finity wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:55 am
Maybe I will start putting into the wiki a few german-centric things within the next weeks.
I have your word! :mrgreen:

finity

Post by finity »

@m741 that's an awesome offer, thanks! I will PM you when I'm somewhat finished :)
@Stahlmann I've started ;) https://wiki.earlyretirementextreme.com ... In_Germany

I will expand and change that article quite a lot in the coming weeks, as it is far from complete as of now.

Fish

Post by Fish »

@finity - That's a nice start on the ERE in Germany page. If we can work out a good template we could also start similar pages for different countries.

@m741 - Your Practical Steps When Leaving Your Job page has not escaped my notice either. I wonder if you agree it is a good idea to build a list of contacts along with their job titles, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, etc. just in case you want to return to the industry in the future? Or has LinkedIn made this all unnecessary?

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

jennypenny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 pm
I don't have time today, but I'll set up a sewing/fibre arts section on the ERE wiki sometime this week. I'll include any links that people post here and in the other three threads (the two listed above and S10Y's fibre arts thread).
I got the page started here in the Practical Skills/DIY - traditional section ... https://wiki.earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/Sewing

I started a section at the bottom for any non-ERE resources people want to add.

***Please add any text or links you would like to see included (anywhere, not just the sewing section). ***

Our wiki is looking a little forlorn these days. That's partly on me but it's meant to be a group effort.