Best of the ERE Forum 2017

Questions and comments
Fish

Best of the ERE Forum 2017

Post by Fish »

Let's relive your favorite threads, posts, and quotes from this past year.

To nominate, simply choose a category (pick an adjective like informative, funny, interesting, insightful, etc.) and link to the post. Provide a brief description (author, topic) so we have an idea where the link goes. Short quotes (2 sentences or less) can be directly quoted here. There is no voting, nor will awards be given. Just share, read and enjoy.

This is not a popularity contest, but rather an opportunity to acknowledge great content and say "thank you" to those who wrote it. You can all go first and I'll come back with some of my favorites later today.

BRUTE

Re: Best of the ERE Forum 2017

Post by BRUTE »

brute doesn't know if it was specifically one thread, but the whole Trump thing really seems to have split the forum apart. only in the last few weeks does this wound seem to be healing.

while it was painful, brute also found it very interesting, and feels like he's learned something from the whole ordeal. he also feels like he has shifted in his political views from more "democrat" to more "republican", though not "conservative" (at least not in the social sense, drugs are great 'n shit, maybe conservative in the "civilization isn't that bad" sense). but in the sense that mobs of humans will do stupid shit, and the real goal of a government should be to protect humans from those mobs.

brute has also become a whole lot more realistic about libertarianism. at this point, even considering the idea seems like a luxury this system can't afford while mobs are fighting in the streets, at the base of the political Maslow pyramid. he would consider himself more of a Classical Liberal these days, which seems like a foundation for eventual Libertarianism.

brute is somewhat sorry to hijack this thread with politics again, but he really wants to thank the major contributors to this "battle" for educating him and each other, instead of just retreating into their bubble like is so convenient and popular these days.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I know we have lost some folks over the political threads, my vote is for the locked threads, and this was my favorite:
Just as a thought experiment, can you imagine ways your life may have been harder if you hadn't been a (straight) white (male) person? If you were born in the same circumstances, but to black parents, or Muslim parents? Or perhaps if you had been born gay? Do you think any events or experiences in your life that might have played out differently?
I haven't laughed that hard in years!

But on a more serious note, there has been plenty of negativity in the political forums. This doesn't bother me. After the shouting is done, there have been some very well thought out posts, and those are the gems I'm looking for. I'm willing to comb through a lot of tailings to find them.

I have what I've been calling "the 4 page rule". Here, the thread gets most interesting about page 4. Go back and read any of them, and around page 4 is where the simple, FB level posts slow down, and the voices still engaged are talking to each other, addressing the viewpoint of other members, rather than preaching at them. Usually the first few pages are preachers calling out heretics and people pointing out that they aren't heretics, but... By this point, when the preachers jump back in to crack down on some heresy, they get pretty much ignored. This is where learning happens, and it's very rare.

My preference would be to let these things go to their natural ends, but I can't argue with success and Jacob has definitely been successful in creating this space. I just wanted to get my minority view heard on the subject, and acknowledge that I am aware of that minority status.

In the sexual misconduct thread, we never got as far as solutions, but we at least got in depth varying perspectives on the problem, at even getting that far feels like progress. Is there anywhere online or in real life, that we could find that many perspectives on the problem, that many people of good will comparing and contrasting their own experiences with those of others? I haven't seen it.

So, while I understand that it's not the focus here, and upsetting to some, that's my favorite part and I very much enjoyed ERE 2017.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

This forum is on average very interesting, and the thing I love is the overall sense that quality wins over quantity in the minds of most posters.
If I had to pick a single winner the first one coming to mind is jp's politicking thread, her insider perspective has been very refreshing and informative, especially in a climate as polarized as today's

Fish

Post by Fish »

Here's my personal list.

Informative Persuasive Entertaining Captivating Eventful Helpful Interesting Insightful
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:43 pm
The boundary of a system is always arbitrary. Defining the default boundary of a household that functions as an economic unit as two human adults is something that never would have occurred to anybody prior to maybe 50 years ago, if that.
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:34 am
For example, when I walk down to the corner and buy a package of cookies, it is like I am ordering the production of one more cardboard box, plastic insert, 8 oz. of Canadian wheat, 8 oz. of refined Brazilian sugar cane, .1 gallons of Oklahoma petroleum etc. etc.
bigato wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:57 pm
Fish: yes, it definitely is possible to forgo ERE. Thing is, if you stay around here, your brain keeps on absorbing unconsciously the peer pressure and you program yourself everyday towards ERE. Whether that is a good thing or not, is up to you.

Did

Post by Did »

Not to be a fanboy, but anything by sclass.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Category: Most Tolerant Wife
Winner: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8325

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

As someone a few Wheaton levels below the average poster in the "money questions" section, I really enjoyed What if we Get a Japan Scenario?

It's a question that usually gets surface level treatment, but, of course, not on this forum :)

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

2017's Best Foreign Invasion By Aussie Lawyer Beating Locals at Brewing Beer:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4716&start=50#p136402
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4716&start=75#p157359

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Well, as 2017 draws to a close, I've been pondering whether it was one of My Top 5 Worst Years Ever, or maybe not quite that bad. So, I would like to offer a note of appreciation to the forum as whole, and to jacob and the other moderators in particular, for creating and maintaining a safe haven for liberal discourse .(Everybody, please, raise a glass of some beverage home-fermented from something like scavenged crab-apples.) 3 Cheers-Hurrah, Hurrah, Hurrah!

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

"Something from nothing" by Ego has been good.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7474&start=225

And I will second 7w5 comment, cheers to a great forum. Thanks.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

FBeyer wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:34 am
2017's Best Foreign Invasion By Aussie Lawyer Beating Locals at Brewing Beer:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4716&start=50#p136402
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4716&start=75#p157359
This was a fantastic read, thanks Fbeyer.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies »

Thanks to Fish for putting this thread together! It let me relive the best parts of ERE 2017.

Worst threads were probably the political ones (which I participated in). I lost respect for members of the forum based on their views, but I'm glad some people found value in it (Brute, Riggerjack).

Best threads:
Ego and his something from nothing thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7474&start=225
jacob on "climate change 101": viewtopic.php?p=137975#p137975
C40 's Journal: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1344

3 cheers to the forum, and Jacob for keeping it running.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Late 2016 and early 2017 seemed like a real ebb in the forum to me, and a couple other times throughout the year it started getting ugly too. So it's hard to pick a "best of" for this year. "Worst of" would be easier. Those who stuck around for the entire year, and those who joined and remain, all share my "best of" vote. I'm on my own path that isn't really ERE, and so what I enjoy most here is just the people.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Yeah, politics has a way of making people a little crazy. But despite the occasional minefield, this is still one of the very best public forums for discussing complex topics. Cheers!

IMHO, the most succinctly insightful comment of the year goes to Dragline. Following a deep philosophical discussion of Brute's nihilism...
But I still think you should just get a dog.
:D

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

@ Tyler, yep, that was great. I miss Dragline.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

wait, Dragline's gone? where'd he go?

that was a good discussion about Nihilism :) ironically (for ERE), brute hasn't felt very nihilistic this year, because of work. it's almost as if work was part of the goal.

plantingourpennies

Post by plantingourpennies »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm
Looks like he hasn't posted since August, but still logs in regularly.

Ego has been gone since October as well.

:(

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

BRUTE wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 pm

that was a good discussion about Nihilism :) ironically (for ERE), brute hasn't felt very nihilistic this year, because of work. it's almost as if work was part of the goal.
Not because bumming around the globe for a year somehow gave you a better perspective than before?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

plantingourpennies wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Looks like he hasn't posted since August, but still logs in regularly.

Ego has been gone since October as well.
A couple others too. In principle I enjoy talking about politics and related topics, but being sort of a moderate I don't have a lot invested in it in terms of aligning with one side versus the other. In reality it's a mine field. I have fewer people I can accurately describe as friends IRL too, due to events in the same time frame. I see a New Year's resolution opportunity.