Do you listen to motivational talks?

Favorite quotations, etc.
Bankai

Do you listen to motivational talks?

Post by Bankai »

As in title: do you listen to motivational talks / watch motivational videos (i.e. Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, Tony Robbins, Earl Nightingale)?

If yes, how often and did they help you make significant changes in your life? And what are your favourites speakers/videos?

If not, why? Is it because you don't believe in motivation or did you try them and they didn't work, or is there another reason?

chenda

Re: Do you listen to motivational talks?

Post by chenda »

No I have no need or motivation to watch them...

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

No. I believe for me self-motivation is key. I also don't understand the concept of role models (which somehow, seems related). I always worry with this kind of thing that the important part is selling the material instead of actually helping. I think true motivation comes from within. It can't be faked. But listening to other people trying to motivate us is enjoyable so it is in the end really entertainment (but I worry it can lead to self-delusion).

Although I thought about it for a couple of days and I do think it is possible for someone to put the seed of an idea into your mind or out there for other people to consume. I just think most of the time, the message is tainted in some way. This comes all the way back to Jacob and ERE in that I think part of the reason I find his arguments persuasive is there isn't anything in it for him (for both good at first and then you start to maybe feel a little bit bad in that there should be some reward for this work -- perhaps monetary reward is not the point though as certainly non-monetary rewards are important too).
Last edited by SavingWithBabies on Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Hasn't all that happy clappy positive thinking stuff been debunked, it turned out it had the opposite affect to what people expected.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/ ... man-review

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

TR had one series on goal setting that helped me change how I view the process. I also found some Jim Rohn videos helpful. I have two bookmarked that I listen to when I need reaffirmation.

I don't like the ones who tell you how to be happy. I like the ones who teach you to go out and get your happy.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute listens to motivational stuff sometimes to brainwash himself, but never crap like Tony Robbins. rah rah fire walk!

The Old Man

Post by The Old Man »

I like listening to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I read a Tony Robbins book once and thought it was helpful at the time.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Eh. Listened to a few motivational speakers on YouTube. I would call that entertainment. They do what they do well, but I fail to see the link between what they say, and what I do.

If I want to change something about myself or my surroundings, I find that mapping out the change, and deciding to actually do it, is the challenge. It doesn't take feelings of inspiration, it takes grit.

If you get grit from speakers, more power to you.

Farm_or

Post by Farm_or »

At one time, maybe because I was feeling despondent. But the rest of the time, I feel like the speakers are ultimately talking to themselves. You know? The teacher is the best student sort of thing.

Saltation

Post by Saltation »

I have listened to one Brian Tracy cd and that was about seven years ago. It did not do much.

Motivational speakers have never really appealed to me. Normally their message is to illicit some type of emotional response which is unlikely to be interpreted positively. Initially the message sounds uplifting and upbeat where they have a solution for your problems in one/two simple to remember catch phrases and then they apply the same phrase over and over again to every scenario they think of. It comes off as salesman speak for give me money I am a television preacher but with humanism ethics attached. I'll pass.

I would rather devote the time to something more informative and substantive.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Does Jordan Peterson count?

Italiano

Post by Italiano »

All through the late 80's and early 90's I listened to Zig Ziglar, Earl Nightingale and others. Early by far was my favorite though. Felt it was like my Grandpa telling me the way of the land and yes I feel it helped me alot at least think more about things. I also enjoyed reading books about successful people and thought that as well helped me. I do find motivation/inspiration from other people. Never liked Tony Robbins I will add, he seemed to me to gimmicky .

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

I did read some books like rich dad, poor dad. I've heard about the background on it but I still enjoyed it as it was somewhat thought provoking. I guess I'm just not a big listener of recorded talks. I find ideas inspiring but not so much people.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

http://saltydroid.info/the-secret-of-tony-robbins/

"It is always about creating value for your customer! :D
Don't care if your customer is not able to make rational decisions.

I've listened to Eben Pagan (he was more into coaching), but stopped after I found beforementioned blog author (it was waaaaaay earlier I read jacob recommendation on Zipf law based on saltydroid entry)

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

Steve Pavlina blog and books not talks though. Yes it did improve my life noticably.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Does Eminem count?

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

There was a documentary on Netfix about motivational speaker James Arthur Ray. He was getting very popular until he held a seminar in a remote location where a bunch of people died. The way he handled that situation was...not motivational. It made me think about how the people who are really good at making pithy quotes about life are not necessarily the same people who are good at living life. Marcus Aurelius stands out as a really rare example of somebody who is revered for inspirational writing as well as his actual accomplishments.