Hello from Tel Aviv

Say hello!!
cintrapark

Hello from Tel Aviv

Post by cintrapark »

Hi guys!

Unfortunately, I came to frugal living rather late. I'm 41 years old and am currently saving around 55% of my gross income. This includes my pension and personal investments. It's pretty expensive living here in Tel Aviv, so nearing 75% is going to be quite a task! Recently sold my car and cut back on some other expenses, so perhaps I'll be able to ramp it up a bit.

Nice to meet you all and would love to hear from other Tel Avivians :)

wolf

Re: Hello from Tel Aviv

Post by wolf »

Hi cintrapark! Nice to meet you too. It is never too late to join the "ERE-train" :-) "Better late, than never" is a typical saying in Germany. I guess this is also true for ERE. Saving 55% of your gross income is a great starting point! Living car-free also! (I live for about 1,5year without a car and can't say that I miss it or regret that decision). Welcome!

cintrapark

Post by cintrapark »

Many thanks for your post! Yes living car-free is great and saves me so much money :)

Jason

Post by Jason »

Shalom.

I can imagine that Israel presents many challenges when it comes this type of thing. I have never been there, but based on discussions with family members who do, it appears to be a sui generis living experience.

I am curious as to what your occupation is. So much technological and pharmaceutical advancement is coming out of Israel but I heard they are doing the actual manufacturing in either South America or South Africa or some continent with South in its name.

Anyways, good luck.

cintrapark

Post by cintrapark »

Hi Jason

I work in the hi-tech industry in Israel, which relatively speaking is well paid. The problem, however, is that incomes are generally low and the cost of living EXTREMELY high. The fact that I'm able to save 55% of my income is something I'm fairly proud of. I'm hoping to start a family in the next year and that percentage is I'm sad to say likely to go down :(

Jason

Post by Jason »

Israel to me seems to be a place of paradoxes: leisurely yet politically charged, steeped in history yet technologically advanced, homogenous yet divided population, a great place to raise kids yet understood that they will have to join the army. And as you mentioned, high cost of living.