End of October numbers:
Assets: 316,245
Liabilities : 219,058
NW : 97,187
Saving/time ratio : 97,2%

10cents

Re: dull numbers journal

Post by 10cents »

This month is a dual fete. My first anniversary on this forum and my targets for 2017 are completed one month earlier.
This 12 months has been the best in my live (in a financial way).
Hurray for me !!!!
End of november number:
Liabilities: 218,009
Assets: 320,480
NW: 102,471
Saving/time ratio: 96,78
Well, there is a drop in saving/time ratio due to high dental expenses this month, but healthy teeth are worth every money.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

Congratulations! In terms of the RE part of FIRE, I realized what I wanted was FI and with it, I don't wish to retire in the conventional sense but rather work on my own ideas/businesses and/or help my family (by which I mean both my children, my siblings, my parents and those of my wife). I do want the freedom to just go on say a camping trip as I wish or spend the day reflecting. I expect with FI and leaving the day job, to be more free.

The funny thing though is that as I go along this path, I realize that much of this is mindset. In every journal, I read about people realizing they can change things now instead of waiting. I too am doing the same. So I am left wondering what exactly FI will give me and I think it is the safety net to live without the fear my family will become destitute. I see that as a wonderful thing (particularly with American healthcare) so I continue to pursue it however I also pursue a life well lived now too.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

I couldn't agree more @SavingWithBabies. Month after month it is more clear that FI part is more important for me than RE part. This also affect my medium/long term targets. I have so much mental energy that just leaving a job to retire wouldn't make me happy. Nomad lifestyle also is not a good for a father of two school aged kids. My dreams/plans are evoluting towards separating work from money. I follow to work just for fun, not for money, to remove money-related stress from my life.
My plans/dreams I had 1 year age are obsolate now so next year looks to be a time of constant targets improvements.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Below my current asset allocations:

Most of 2017 portfolio increase was due to savings, my bonds part give me only 1,7% income while stock ~ 5%.
Stock market in Poland is very moody, we are still 30% below 2008 tops.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Great year 2017, I wish 2018 will be similar.
I don't have any particular financial plans for next 12 months. Low interest rates period slowly ends but my mortgage is still high. I still benefit from differences between mortgage Interest (lower) than bonds interest (higher) - this is weird and this is holding me from overpaid my liability, but any interest rates rise can change everything - so I need to prepare. On the other hand stock market in Poland is still bullish and far away from 2007 records so I don't want to cash my portfolio. How to connect these both targets? I need to increase my liquid (bonds) portfolio part as a must. For the next 12 months I will invest all my savings in easy-cashable assets and track the mortgage/bonds profitability.
End of 2017 numbers
------------
Liabilities: 217,062
Cashable assets : 88,650
Stock assets : 236,770
NW : 108,458
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 40,8%
NW/future expenses ratio : 19,9%
I did a great job this year, but there is a long way ahead of me.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Hello 2018 year, welcome to subsequent frugal month in my life.
Nothing really important happened in my life, end of January numbers:
--------------
Liabilities: 216,283
Cashable assets : 93,750
Stock assets : 237,070
NW : 114,537
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 43,3%
NW/future expenses ratio : 21,1%

10cents

Post by 10cents »

February the worst month in every year for me. I hate the end of a winter, I have some sort of depressive incident there. I crave for sun, warm and long day. Fortunately Feb is over. March is so-so, it is a time to plan summer holidays, summer leave.
The only one positive thing of Feb is my wife annual bonus. This year it was quite nice ~ 14% of yearly income.
I decide to divide that money into 2 heaps - saving and emergency&holidays founds. Feb numbers are as follow:
------------
LIabilities: 216,242
Cashable assets: 101,540
Stock assets: 238,020
NW: 123,318
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 44.8%
----------

10cents

Post by 10cents »

March brought some minor changes in my finance. On a positive side I had got a pay rise. 7%. It was my first pay rise in current job. They have also paid me an annual bonus!!! 13% of yearly income. Great !!! On the negative side stock market in Poland went down ~ 6% this month and my portfolio suffered alike. My financial independence plans are so distant that I decide to increase my stock portfolio by 4%.
I took up gardening in my house. Last winter I ordered some kind of hothouse attached to my house to place my flowers here. Now it is time to set up everything. I have some doubts if it was FIRE rules break, am I still on my RE track? My march numbers:
---------
Liabilities: 215,673
Cashable assets : 108,000
Stock assets : 237,870
NW : 131,067
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 50%
---------------

10cents

Post by 10cents »

End of april numbers:
----------
Liabilities: 213,322
Cashable assets : 108,400
Stock assets : 241,925
NW : 137,003
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 50,8%

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

What does an average month of spending look like for you these days?

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Monthly spending (in Polish currency 1 EURO = 4,2 PLN)
----
House bills: (water = 80, electric = 200, gas = 150, local taxes = 50, internet connection = 50, taxes + insurance = 50)
total = 580 PLN
car: fuel = 150, (yearly insurance + maintenance)/12 = 250
total = 400 PLN
2 x commute combined ticket = 250
food = 1100 PLN
one offs: (dental service, medicine, kids expenses e.g. orthodontic, clothes) = 250 PLN
Emergency & holidays & home improvement found = 500-700 PLN (this found cover all unexpected expenses)
So, average monthly expenses are ~ 3300 PLN + 800 PLN mortgage
Salary : 5600 PLN + 3700 PLN = 9300 PLN,
average monthly savings increase (including mortgage balance reduction) = 6000 PLN
I try to keep off life style inflation but it is not easy having 10 & 15 y.o. kids.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

End of may numbers:
-----------------
Liabilities: 212,051
Cashable assets : 110,500
Stock assets : 243,524
NW : 141,975
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 52,1%

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Just next month of "rolling stone on the hill". Something changed in my workplace and I enjoy my work more.
Is it my attitude of being more FI with every month?
I feel good not having pressure to earn money. Separating work from earning money is great!!!!
On the negative side, main stock index went down again and my stock portfolio didnt perform good.
So, end of june numbers:
---------------
Liabilities: 211,456
Cashable assets : 114,000
Stock assets : 244,333
NW : 146,876
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 53,9%

wolf

Post by wolf »

10cents wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 am
Just next month of "rolling stone on the hill". Something changed in my workplace and I enjoy my work more.
Is it my attitude of being more FI with every month?
First of all, congrats to the increase of your NW. A change of +3,5% from month to month is not bad. You are making good progress!

Secondly, I feel similiar. Nowadays I enjoy work even more compared to the last few years. I think it has to do with the "monthly saving for FI"-attitude. That's for sure a positive influence. You can almost see it as you have increased your FI-feeling by 3,5% compared to last month. ;)

Thirdly, I think that someone with FI-money is more confident to "craft the job". With that I mean, that it is possible to negiotiate job-related terms in your favour. For example, last year I asked my bosses to work more from home and to work more flexible times. I was confident enough to ask for such things. And guess what, they said yes. So that increased my satisfaction with work even more.

What changed in your workplace? Why do you enjoy work more? Is it just your attitude or something more?

10cents

Post by 10cents »

@wolf
I can't name what changed in my workplace but it mostly happened to me, not by any changes in the company.
In work I rejected all corporate bull*t and focused on problem solving. In a way I'm the best employee in a team because I can tell the truth, ask uncomfortable questions and warn about problems everybody doesnt want to see.
I can be honest with myself and not pretending who I'm not.
I can take up with difficult tasks without fear of defeat.
I can ask for help without a hesitation. World changes so fast that it is normal that i don't know everything. Asking for help doesn't make me weaker. I also willingly help to other because I don't worry of being redundant.
I dont have to "hide" my knowledge. I'm trying to regard my work as solving jigsaw puzzles, don't look at money and treat as intellectual exercises with friendly fellow coworkers.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Emerging markets sucks. Main stock index lost 10% since January 2018. My stock portfolio similar.
Or should I treat this as an opportunity to buy cheap stocks? And how about mortgage?
Too many goals!!!
I still continue to buy stocks, to pay off mortgage and to build cashable assets (bonds).
End of July numbers:
-------------------
Liabilities: 210,863
Cashable assets : 117,000
Stock assets : 243,935
NW : 150,071
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 55,5%

10cents

Post by 10cents »

For stock market in Poland that was a terrible month. Main index lost 5% since end of august. Emerging markets are so volatile. I consider this as a "tough time" in my investments or a opportunity to buy cheap shares. The future will show. There is hardly no increase in my Net Worth, but my liability (mortgage) drops and cashable assets/ liability is rising. For this year my goal was to reduce vulnerability for interest rate and 57% of my mortgage is covered by better performing cashable assets, next year will bring new goals.
September numbers:
-------------------
Liabilities: 207,587
Cashable assets : 118,900
Stock assets : 239,640
NW : 150,952
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 57,2%

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Emerging markets are still so weak. We are still 40% below 2008 peaks. I still continue investments, savings and mortgage overpayments. I did my savings and portfolio remodeling last month. Some of my investments occurs to be a lost, and I took this into account. Mid-october numbers:
--------------------
Liabilities: 204.395
Cashable assets : 125.890
Stock assets : 231.810
NW : 153,305
Cashable/liabiilities ratio : 61,5%
Cashable/liability ratio - WOW, what a progess!!!

10cents

Post by 10cents »

In 1,5 months it will be my second anniversary on this forum. I should be proud of myself because of my achievements.
I started with hardly no net worth; having 270k liabilities and 288k assets. 22 months later my liability (mortgage) drops to 204k and my assets increase to 356k (all numbers in local PLN currency and 1 USD = 3,6 PLN).
But what next?
Classic FI with WR 4% is not for me.
Unfortunately, I'm too old for it, I'm 45 y.o.
It would taken me next 8 years to reach it and I will be 53 at this time.
Sorry, I was born in a wrong times and in a wrong country.
My first full-time salary in 1997 was 130 USD/month. My parents were poor, my wife parents too. I have nothing to inherit.
Moreover I went on "old style" life path - decided to have kids ( they are teens now).
So, no money at the beginning, low salary and 4 stomachs to fill - not a good recipe for FIRE.
But I don't regret. At my age, I can see - there are more on this world besides money.
Frugality was my choice. At the very beginning it was a must to make ends meet.
Later it was kind of rebellion against consumerism.
But now, what should I do now?
My time on this planet is very limited, so where to put borders?
How long should I work? Should I count on social security contribution?
50 months more and retire before 50 birthdays is a minimum to save enough to support myself (and wife) till social security payments.
Or should I work 90 months more and be able to live on 4% WR?
But how about kids?
Should I support them with weddings/studies/first flat?
Frugal life was/is easy for my, but is incomprehensible for my descendants. Different generation, different values.
Consumerism rules rocks.
This is not the first time when I realize that I'm a person who likes to chase a goals but dont like to reach goals.
..... to be continued ........