Hello from Germany

Say hello!!
finity

Hello from Germany

Post by finity »

finity
(uncountable) The state or characteristic of being limited in number or scope.
Four or five years ago a very good friend of mine showed me MMM. At the time we were still students and not earning a cent more than we spent - and that was not due to us spending much :lol: In fact, my costs of living at that time were ~500€/month. The lifestyle was unbelievably good though.

I read everything MMM had to offer and graduated to ERE within the first year, still not holding a real job. Some three years ago I started my career and was able to put aside around 40%-50% of my net income (now 60%). Since then I saved up quite a bit of money while my spending increased (moved together my gf, leaving my 10 sqm room, and added some insurance and few "luxuries"), but not by much. In fact, my raises and my dividend stream will cover my spending in ~1 year, so I will save as much as I made when I started working every month. My job net income is on average ~2300€/month ($2700) after all mandatory insurances in Germany (including health, unemployment and care).

I like my job, but I hate all the time I spend there. I'm still working on my final goals (full ERE? Semi-ERE? Taking long time off? I will get kids in the next few years). My employer is great and I can't think of changing jobs at the moment. Getting to know FIRE / ERE long before getting a job is a curse and a blessing at the same time. A curse, because I'm always thinking about how to get more time for myself and how to reduce workload (anti-work mindeset!) and a blessing because of the same reasons :D. Saving multiple years of living expenses gives me quite a good feeling and I can't imagine how it must feel to live paycheck to paycheck.

Jacob wrote that he believes the ERE book is a book that only needs to be read once. I have read it thrice and will continue reading it once a year, because I always seem to find something new of value to me. Thank you Jacob! You have provided so much value to me. I'm now working on my own web of goals and try to improve my many weaknesses, which include spending to much time in front of the compter. ERE has given me a good leg up to life, now I will tailor it around me.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by jacob »

finity wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:15 am
Jacob wrote that he believes the ERE book is a book that only needs to be read once.
Wait, what?! Are you sure you didn't get this the other way around? I tried to write it with enough layers so that each iteration of rereading would reveal something new/previously not considered.

finity

Post by finity »

jacob wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am
Wait, what?! Are you sure you didn't get this the other way around? I tried to write it with enough layers so that each iteration of rereading would reveal something new/previously not considered.
A case study for selective remembering:
Would you want to sell it? I don’t think it’s a book you’d want to reference constantly
Here my remembrance stops. It continues like this...
On the other hand, until you internalized its concepts, it’s probably good to reread once a year.
So I actually do as advised ;)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Welcome to ERE. Great to have another German fellow here!

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

*brute makes sure not to mention the war*

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Finity has a photographic memory.

SandyKaryOke

Post by SandyKaryOke »

Hello, Finity! Welcome to ERE! :)

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi finity. How's life? Have you figured out your goals yet? Do you plan to write a journal? Would be great, if there were more Germans writing journals. ;-)

finity

Post by finity »

@all thanks for the welcome!

@MDFIRE2024,

I currently have very little time to spare, sadly. It will improve in the next few weeks though :) A journal? I'm still thinking about this. Probably yes, but I'm not yet sure on what to add to it and how much of my life's details I'm willing to share. I like your journal very much though. Maybe my journal could be of value to other people too. The next weeks will bring some clarity :!: ;)

Poor Daniel

Post by Poor Daniel »

Hello from Vienna, would love to hear more from german speaking countries :)
Daniel

Dodo

Post by Dodo »

Hallo finity,

thank you for posting, good to see some fellow germans on here. It made me overcome my usual inertia and tip a toe into the murky waters of the forum.)

Keep on going,

D.