Journal of MDFIRE2024

Where are you and where are you going?
Bankai

Re: Journal of MDFIRE2024

Post by Bankai »

Hi MDFIRE2024, very nice journal!

We also follow WFPB diet for a year now with my wife and it's been fantastic. By February (last time I checked) my total cholesterol went down to 157. The only part I struggle with a bit is eating enough beans - Greger recommends about 400g of cooked beans a day which is A LOT! So I just eat more of whole grains instead. I also found updating the app daily helps with focus - I generally try to get at least 22/24 each day while also not eating anything unhealthy (like sat. fats or highly processed foods). Do you also follow an intermittent fasting pattern of eating or do you eat throughout the day?

wolf

Post by wolf »

Bankai wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:46 am
Hi MDFIRE2024, very nice journal!
Do you also follow an intermittent fasting pattern of eating or do you eat throughout the day?
Thank you Bankai.

I try to eat beans everyday, but I don't aim for 400g p.d. Usually I eat 100g beans p.d.
Regarding intermittent fasting: I stick to two meals a day. Usually I have my warm lunch between 11-13 o'clock. In the evening I eat a musli with soy milk... So, I do intermittent fasting from around 6PM to 11AM. In the morning untill 11AM I drink a lot of green tea, around 2 litres. That helps my digestion and fills my stomache, so I don't feel any need to eat something. It works fine for me, but I haven't noticed any weight loss so far, because I have started this diet about 2 weeks ago. I also don't aim for any weight loss. Just want to eat healthy, do my body and mind something good. :-)

frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi

What will you do after ERE?

During days...

Regards.

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am
What will you do after ERE?
I assume with ERE you mean "retired early". For me ERE is much more than only being "early retired". ERE is my current lifestyle with system-thinking, web-of-goals, reducing waste, improve efficiency, learning, personal development, Win-Win-situation, DIY, etc...

Anyway, when I'm "retired early" my casual day consists of:
1) activities I already do: journaling, nature, hiking, mountainbiking, going for a walk, reading, DIY-stuff, family, friends, learning, ...
2) trying new activities, hobbies, etc.

Additional to that I am going to work on my ULAL (Ultimate-Life's-Adventure-List based on "How to retire happy, wild and free"), e.g. long-term traveling, volunteering, living abroad for some weeks/months, living at some special places (mountains, coast, city, ...), long-term hiking, part-time work, ...

This year I had already a three-week-long FIRE-simulation-phase during my vacation. Currently I am in my second three-week-long FIRE-simulation-phase. I stay at home and experience how it is to be "retired early". These two FIRE-simulations has given me many insights. I already know that I can fill my day with current and new activities. Structure is my least problem. Purpose and Community is more difficult to accomplish for me with my free time. I am confident, that I can also improve on the two topics (purpose and community) within the next few years.

In the last weeks and months I have discovered that I need to create and maintain my ERE-Lifestyle in line with my goals, life values, ... I don't wait for DayX. I want to live now. If I can live happy and authentically with my current lifestyle, I will not have any fears that I can do it also in a few more years. Next year for example I want to try some ULAL-prototypes, e.g. hiking for three weeks or living in a cabin in the Alps. But, maybe life is difficult next year and I have to adapt. Who knows? I do know that ERE and Antifragility and Adaptability help me to manage many circumstances and changes in life. So, therefore I don't plan my "retired early"-lifestyle too much. I changed and learned to focus more on the presence and my current lifestyle, which is based on ERE, Financial Independence and personal life satisfaction.

frugal

Post by frugal »

hi,

do you have kids? Or will you have? What will you teach them?

Before I had the desire to ER but now after some years I feel that work is needed, And here part-time I don't think it exists.

I like sports, family and not much more.

Too much time at home can be sad.

Regards.

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:03 pm
do you have kids? Or will you have? What will you teach them?
If I ever have kids, I will teach them as best as I could about living.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

frugal wrote:
Before I had the desire to ER but now after some years I feel that work is needed, And here part-time I don't think it exists.

Word life.

frugal

Post by frugal »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:23 am
frugal wrote:

Word life.
Please explain.

I couldnt understand.

tks

wolf

my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics

Post by wolf »

I want to give an overview about my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics.
In some of my next posts, I am going to show my 12-month average rolling cost. Then you can compare a bit and have a reference. I think the list of my ERE-lifestyle is mainly for ERE-newbies to give an overview and inspiration. But all feedback is appreciated!

Housing:
- I live in my own apartement outside of a city
- On average I use my dish washer every 3 three weeks, when all plates are used
- On average I use my washing machine every 3 three weeks
- I don't have a dryer
- There is a fridge in my kitchen, but I don't use it. I store food in the cellar or on the balcony
- Very seldomly I use heating when it is cold outside
- I use sunlight as much as possible for activities that need light, e.g. reading a book, ...
- Therefore I use my laptop and TV mostly in the mornings or evenings when it is darker
- I only switch the light on in the room if I am in there
- My average electric power consumption is about 200kwh (no heating or hot water included)
- I try to reduce my water usage as much as possible

Mobility:
- I don't have a car. I commute by bike to work (one way 15km)
- In January and February, when it is really cold and snowy, I use public transportation

Food:
- I eat a wholesome, plantbased diet (very seldomly I eat meat or cheese...)
- I buy fresh food regurlarly
- I only drink tap water or most of the time green tea
- I buy my green tea in whole leaves in big bags (1kg)
- Most of the food (beside fresh one) I buy in bulk
- I optimized my recipes that I only need one pan/pot for cooking
- I do intermittent fasting, which means I only eat for lunch and dinner (no breakfast and no snacks)
- I don't buy sweets in the supermarket because I don't eat any, because of the sugar

Leisure:
- I use a internet connection
- My mobile phone contract is flexible. I only pay what I use
- I borrow books and magazines from the library
- Very seldomly I buy books. When I buy, I try to buy used ones
- I don't subsribe any newspaper. I avoid news as much as possible.
- I don't buy any movies and I don't go into the cinema. Instead I wait till they are shown in the free TV. (but I don't have pay-TV)
- Very seldomly I buy a series, which really interest me
- I have bought my favourite music, therefore I don't subscribe or stream any music flatrate
- I do: reading, mountainbiking, writing, journaling, exercices at home, meditating, watching movies in TV, watching series on DVD, internet, hiking, visiting family and friends
- I don't go to cafes and I don't buy snacks or drinks to go
- I don't go to clubs any more and very seldomly to bars
- I very seldomly go to restaurants or buy street/fast food

Personal Finances:
- I have three insurances: life, accident and travel
- My bank account doesn't cost me anything
- I don't have any mortgages, loans, credits and I don't want any of it ever

Buying things, gadgets, electronics:
- I buy high quality and durable shoes and clothing, which I wear around 5-10 years
- I use my laptop and smartphone for about 3-5 years. Then I try to buy used ones again.
- I plug off / switch off every electronic gadget in my apartement when I don't use it. (never standby)
- My apartement and facility is based on the principle "as simple and (multi)functional as possible"
- If something breaks down, I try to repair it first
- I don't go shopping and I try to avoid advertisements (especially in TV) as much as possible
- If I can browse or watch something on my smartphone instead on my laptop I do it, because of the less electric power consumption

Other:
- I cut my hair by myself

The many "I don't"s seem very restrictive, but because of my ERE-lifestyle I feel very free and independent. Of course you understand, but I wanted it to say for new ERE members. As Jacob stated many times it is possible to live with almost the same quality of life, but with a fraction of the average household expenses in a country. I have understood and learned that it is possible by using System-Thinking, Web-of-Goals, ... It is so liberating... :D Thank you Jacob!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

frugal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:43 pm
Please explain.
Word life is similar to saying true that. It means the words you have said have been found out to be true by me in my own life.

frugal

Re: my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics

Post by frugal »

[quote=MDFIRE2024

hi friend!

nice list.

Don't you live to much alone ?

Why you need 3 insurances?

Can you show your living costs?

Regards!

frugal

Post by frugal »

...using System-Thinking, Web-of-Goals...

what is this?

Can you tell me more about these tools?

Thank you so much.

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm
...using System-Thinking, Web-of-Goals...

what is this?

Can you tell me more about these tools?

Thank you so much.
Hey frugal, have a look at the WIKI of ERE (Link Here)!
It is described very well. There are also many other aspects described. Read it all. I found it very interesting.
What I also recommend you, is reading Jacob's Book "Early Retirement Extreme: A philosophical and practical guide to financial independence".
Another great information source is to read all Blog Posts from earlyretirementextreme.com.
There are also threads in this forum about ERE, e.g. here
I couldn't explain "System-Thinking" and "Web-of-Goals" better than the above mentioned sources combined.

Please keep in mind that this is my PERSONAL journal about my FIRE/ERE-journey/-lifestyle.
Therefore I don't want to create GENERAL discussions about it,...
There are other (better) places where you can already find the information you need, or can address it directly. Hope, I could have helped you.

frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi

Cannot find it.

Please breafly explain those tools.

Regards

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@frugal - There is no brief explanation of those "tools". A detailed understanding of a complex issue requires personal effort. A good way to start is to click on the links in the previous post and reading as much as possible.

wolf

12 monthly average costs regarding my current ERE-Lifestyle

Post by wolf »

MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 am
I want to give an overview about my ERE-lifestyle with cost influencing topics.
In some of my next posts, I am going to show my 12-month average rolling cost. Then you can compare a bit and have a reference.
In some posts earlier I described my current ERE-Lifestyle Link

Septemer is coming to an end. Therefore I can calculate my costs for the last 12 months (Okt16 - Sep17).

I have spent 6.066 € in the last 12 Months.
It is 7142 USD, therefore 1.02 Jacobs. :D

Please be aware, that I haven't done any travelling within the last 12 months and there were no huge expenses or repairs.
I am currently finalizing my second three-week-RE-Simulation, which means that I have stayed at home and haven't travelled.
Also, there is no health insurance included because this is payed directly from my work income.
But the costs cover needs and wants very well. I haven't missed something. I am content and happy with my current ERE-lifestyle.
If I wanted to calculate more accurately my expected monthly costs for retirement*, I had to add about 2500€ (3000USD) because of mandatory health insurance.

* not working in a regular job contract for a company

My housing is Efficient, based on Fish's ERE Housing Score Link :D

frugal

Post by frugal »

jacob wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 pm
@frugal - There is no brief explanation of those "tools". A detailed understanding of a complex issue requires personal effort. A good way to start is to click on the links in the previous post and reading as much as possible.
yes JACOB

sometimes the english is not understandable to me

I also perfer to read experience of other members than read old articles

Thank you!

onewayfamily

Post by onewayfamily »

Frugal - Those 'old articles' are essentially the original source information, at least as formulated by Jacob, and contain the best information you'll find here. I think Jacob said once that he basically said it all in the book - actually come to think of it that was I believe the first time I was introduced to the idea of FIRE - listening to a podcast of an interview with Jacob where he said that.

To MDFIRE - that list you wrote of your lifestyle could basically be quoting me, and I suspect many others on the forum. A few points that I did want to give another perspective for you though:
- loans/debt: I agree in most cases these are negative, especially if used to purchase depreciating items or non-assets, but getting heavily into mortgage debt and buying a few apartments to rent out is pretty much what enabled our FIRE in the first place, simply saving and investing without leverage would have taken a lot longer. Obviously this has to be done right, with a lot of research etc.
- computers/phones etc: I also buy used/refurbished where possible, but I still try to get items that are up-to-date and fast enough so that I'm not wasting time that I could use more productively. E.g. you can get a phone/laptop that is a couple years out from the latest model, either new/used/refurbished for a good price, and you will still get good speed and performance. If you use something heavily it's worth paying extra to have a good experience I believe. You may already do this, I just wasn't sure from the level of detail in your post.

frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi!!!

Which old articles?

Thank you

wolf

Post by wolf »

frugal wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 am
jacob wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 pm
yes JACOB

sometimes the english is not understandable to me

I also perfer to read experience of other members than read old articles

Thank you!
@frugal: those "old articles" you thought of and you probably refered to the links I posted. Can you please solve this discussion about "general ERE, web-of-goals, system thinking, old articles..." outside of my Journal? Would be very kind of you. But you can of course post something within the context of and regarding my personal ERE-journal. Thank you.