Under the Yoke

Where are you and where are you going?
fiby41

Re: Under the Yoke

Post by fiby41 »

LiberateMind wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 am
You have invested in mutual funds!! I have always hesitated due to high fees when I researched. Care to share the expense ratios or the fund features link?
1.62, 1.31, 0.09 for the 'direct' MFs directly from the MF house, which I bought.
Expense ratios are 2.52, 2.49, 0.78 respectively for the same funds otherwise.
LiberateMind wrote:
Another free advice, learn selling or try to get a side job with selling
Thanks, let me try selling to you then. :P If you do decide to buy MFs, then do so using the discount brokerage I use. You can know more here. Whenever/if you decide to join, just make sure you join within 24 hours of clicking on this link, and through that link only. Make sure ZX6359 is in the referrer column during the signup process.

fiby41

Dharma. Artha. Kaama. Moksha.

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Will stay here until mother's operation goes through.
Then will go to visit relatives.
Join classes. Vacation batch preferably.

Artha

Risky ₹1lac bank
Riskier ₹80k brokerage
Riskiest ₹800 bitcoin

Kaama

Went to Mahabaleshwar.

Wishlist: Places I want to visit,

1 Bali, Indonesia
2 Kailas Manasarovar, Tibet
3 Kathmandu, Nepal

1 and 3 are places I can afford to stay currently.

Moksha

Static reserve index: 1 year and 6 months.
Last edited by fiby41 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

fiby41

Dharma protects those who rise to uphold it-Dharmo rakshati rakshitah-धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma
Mother's operation went through. Test for cancer negative. Cost: र2.78 lakh.
Visit to relatives' postponed indefinitely.
1 vacation batch has started. 1 regular class is starting next week. 2 in August and 1 more after result is declared: ~52 hours each.
Attended workshop on Python: 21 hours.
Want to learn and be somewhat proficient in atleast one programing language. Any general suggestions?

Artha
Demat account र81,608 (up 2%)
My target is 9% before 1 year or 8% every year after 1 year.
9%=4 SWR+4 CPI+1 exit load if sold before 1 year.
Dont know how to adjust for risk in comparison to risk-free FDs offering 8.25% for 7 year lock-ins.
SBI (bank) reinstated rule that requires me to have minimum balance र5000 (for metro) in my account or pay र115 fine per month. Down र230 :evil:
I only opened this account so I could start PPF (similar to 401k) in separate account but with same branch which offers PPF opening. Made minimum PPF deposit of र500 for this (2nd) year.

Kaama
Data:
July 15.6 GB
June 22.7 GB
May 28.22 GB
April 13.39 GB

SIM2: On 20th July, the 3-mo plan for र309 will end. Cost is र399 for another 3 months.
Still have र175.04 in SIM1.

Want to cycle regularly.

Moksha
1 year and 6 months.

fiby41

न मे कर्मफले स्पृहा| Na may karma phalay spruha- I [try to] long not for the fruits of my karma

Post by fiby41 »

Dear FIBY41,

Seat No: of May/2017*
SEM:4
Result: Successful with SGPI:6.25.

Your Marks are:
AM-IV-IA:18P,TH:43P,TW:22P, ;
AE-II-IA:11P,TH:33P,TW:20P,PR:16P,;
MPP-IA:15P,TH:54P,TW:24P,PR:22P,;
WTP-IA:15P,TH:26F, ;
SS-IA:10P,TH:38P,TW:22P, ;
CS-IA:14P,TH:33P, ;
SSL- TW:23P,PR:22P,;.

Disclaimer: Validity of computer generated SMS is subject to verification from Exam Dept'ment. Check result on Intra Net at: Click on Students Zone.

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

fiby41 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 am
LiberateMind wrote:
You have invested in mutual funds!! I have always hesitated due to high fees when I researched. Care to share the expense ratios or the fund features link?
1.62, 1.31, 0.09 for the 'direct' MFs directly from the MF house, which I bought.
Expense ratios are 2.52, 2.49, 0.78 respectively for the same funds otherwise.
LiberateMind wrote:
Another free advice, learn selling or try to get a side job with selling
Thanks, let me try selling to you then. :P If you do decide to buy MFs, then do so using the discount brokerage I use. You can know more here. Whenever/if you decide to join, just make sure you join within 24 hours of clicking on this link, and through that link only. Make sure ZX6359 is in the referrer column during the signup process.
Thank you for the information. I am holding investing in stock markets for now as I my cash portion is very low.

fiby41

Arbeit Macht Frei

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

5 classes this semester. र6500, र11000, र14969, र8500 and 1 yet TBA. Last two amounts above have been paid and the others are yet to start. र8500 was for vacation batch but the syllabus wasn't completed so it was merged with regular batch and we were allowed to reattend the regular lectures.
Timings: Tuesday and Friday evenings, Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Visited maternal family and cousins.

Last sem I joined classes for 5 out of 6 subjects. From 16 Jan when the classes started to 15 June on which was the last examination, this was single best continuous 5 month period in my entire life thus far. Despite being hectic and stressful it was also rewarding and engaging.

Artha

Total investment
₹81,000.00
Current value
₹79,222.46
P&L
₹-1,777.54
(-2.19 %)

Deposited र4192 in SBI bank account to maintain minimum balance.
Total balance now in SBI ₹5000,
In co-operative bank account र3,023.00
(Quaterly interest on deposits deposited)
And ₹167 in bank account number three.

Kaama

July 31.47GB
August 7.48GB
Movies:
Downloaded animated movies for cousins that they might like.

Things that would be a nightmare for me and sabotage FI:
1 Not getting a means of livelihood (jivika)
2 jivika paying less than र3.6 lakh per annum

Other things I dread:
3 Failing in a subject
4 Getting less than 6 cumulative or semester gpa thus becoming ineligible for sitting for placement
5 Getting less than 7.6 cumulative or semester gpa thus making the probability of getting 3.6lpa tend towards 0 according to my estimation
6 By extension, not getting 7.6 in every subject to maintain the average

Getting a job seems unlikely for now and by extension FI a long shot pipe dream.

Moksha

1 year and 7 months.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Why don't you drop out of school and teach yourself instead? In CS you don't need formal education. Of course some companies require it, but there are also many which don't. I regret that I didn't drop out of school at 16 after the mandatory government schooling... Then I would got 3-5 years more years to save money. And here in Norway school is even free. I don't see any reason to waste time and money on school when you can get all the CS education you want online?

wolf

Re: Arbeit Macht Frei

Post by wolf »

fiby41 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:01 am
Dharma
Artha
Kaama
Moksha
Hi fiby41. Thanks for sharing. Great progress!

Can you define, translate, describe: Dharma, Artha, Kaama, Moksha in the context of ERE/FIRE?
You use it in your journal consistently and I am interested in it, why and how you use it.

fiby41

Some things in this universe don't make sense but always seem to f-ing work

Post by fiby41 »

MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:40 am
Can you define, translate, describe: Dharma, Artha, Kaama, Moksha in the context of ERE/FIRE?
These are the four ends of human endeavour:

Dharma (lit. that which upholds) It is the nature/property of a person. It is preferable to carryout one's karma in accordance with svadharma (self-dharma) than to perform someone else's dharma however righteously (iow "mind your own business.") Living a life that's suitable to your own temperament makes you feel you're living it righteously.

Artha is material well-being and wealth accumulation.

Kaama refers to pleasurable indulgences and worldly desires.

Moksha means liberation from the bondage
of this life.
You use it in your journal consistently and I am interested in it, why and how you use it.
Using a reductionist approach has backfired on me many times.That is, measuring only one value eg. years to FI, SWR, GPA, percentage, one relationship etc. to the exclusion of everything else. I do not always understand how somethings work out to be, but I don't have to know for it to work for me. "Some things in this universe don't make sense but always seem to work" ~Eminem.
A more balanced approach is beneficial when you see non-productive activities as not deterrents but as feedback loops you can use to do course correction and maintain trajectory.
It makes it binding to make a decision when outcome of an activity is unsure, if it'll take you towards or away from FI is unknown. In such cases, opportunity cost of inaction is higher than the difference in opportunity cost between any number of other alternatives.
Example, choosing between classes is not as impactful on FI but joining a (any) class is even though they're expensive. Choosing between investments is not impactful in terms of FI as much as investing instead of not investing is. This sometimes leads me to feel I'm trapped in endless classes and my investments are trapped to the whims of the market. That there's no true escape possible.
Lastly, as I'm still a student and savings are nil, it creates a semblance of progress on a personal level. That I'm moving forward on atleast one metric at a time.
On a societal level, assuming these are the ends of all human endeavour provides for a shared morality.

fiby41

If it is to be, it is upto me.

Post by fiby41 »

If I had a rupee for each electronics and telecommunication engineer like me, who graduates every year, (2.8 to 3.6 lakh) in my country, it'd still take me 10 years to attain FI.
fiby41 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:07 pm
MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:40 am
Dharma
Succinct summarization of the description given above would be:

Dharma is defined as the righteous conduct in accordance with one's station in life.

Applied for a job to see where I stand in the job market wrt FIrequirements last week. Sent a follow-up sample of my work today.

Total cost of BE degree is little under 8 lakhs and FI compliant job requirement is about 200 per hour. College costs 104/hour before classes and 154 to 194 /hour after classes, depending on subject.

I like to think of it this way: Would I/someone pay someone/myself between 192 to 200 an hour, to have had that hour?

Although I sometimes keep track of travel time and cost as possible, I'm against factoring it in the above as done in life energy calculations. If Human Actions are ranks of preferences according to Ludwig von Misses, what is the next alternative to travel time? Sit at home and do nothing, which is not fickonomical (action/karma which is economical for attaining FI)

2 years back, as mentioned is a previous post, I interviewed for and got a job that paid 51/hour. For the time after exams and before being admited to engineering, it was tempting to take it for the pocket money, for 1 to 2 month(s) . At that time firequirement was 104/hour for fiin24years. As it wasn't fickonomical, so I did not take it and didn't join. Besides it was for night shift.

College raises this 51/hour to 104/hour.
Classes raise this 104/hour to 154/hour.
Swadhyay self-study must raise it to atleast 192/hour

Which is the lower end of the firequirement,
for this whole 8 lakh engineering wager to be worth it,
and for me to break even.
If it is to be, it is upto me.

I like to think of it this way:

The necessary and sufficient condition for passing any subject is:

1 Nyan-grahan: obtaining the information from a guru (sir/teacher/professor) and

2 swadhyay: self-study, meditating on the lectures to digest it,
ruminating: practicing what you understand and mechanical repitation of what you don't get even if you get sick of it and then
vomiting: to the last phlegm in 3 hours on the answersheet.

Artha:

Current value ₹84,556.43
P&L ₹3,556.43 (4.39 %)

Equity margin available ₹573.75

Kaama:

Data:
September 12.85GB
August 18.86GB

Exams I could give:

(If I don't get a fickonomical job,
but as fate is past-karma, which by its very nature is adrishtya, unseen, so I might as well prepare for and give some of these, to have a backup excuse available: "I'm going for higher studies")

GATE (for ME/MTech)
GRE (for Masters in US, can't afford it on father's savings and and the colleges I can get into are not fickonomical even if I take a loan)
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
GMAT (management course abroad, 15k just for the exam!!1 I wonder what the fees for its classes are.. :o :cry: !!!1)
CAT (management course here)

Languages I'd like to learn: Russian.

Moksha:

85 days left for exam preparation.
1 year 7 months expenses saved.
Fiyear: 2030
I want the choice of retiring when/by the time my father will actually retire.

fiby41

Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Wealth of stocked food grains (food security)
Wealth of knowledge
Wealth of accumulated capital/money
Wealth of progeny (children)
Wealth of domesticated animals
Wealth of industry and courage (risk-taking)
Wealth of social relations
Wealth of primordial physical strength

These are the eight types of wealth personified by the eight forms of Lakshmi. At this juncture, only the first three levels have their altars open for my worship.

Artha

Current value
₹87,756.71

P&L
₹6,756.71
(8.34 %)

Subscribed to the Atal Pension Yojana APY. Monthly premium of ₹228 until 60 after which ₹5000 fixed monthly payout. At 0% inflation, this will cover 50% of living expenses after 60. At 8%, only 5% will be covered.

I went to the same bank in which I have my PPF account. But they don't have this facility.

So opened APY in another bank account which was required at that time to receive the scholarship amount but was laying dormant after that. ₹117 was cut for non maintainace of minimum balance. Deposited ₹4000 for 9 months worth of APY premiums, which are auto-debited, and maintaing ₹1500 minimum balance.

Kaama

Its Diwali so will go to visit siblings and relatives on Saturday. Was a little late to book train tickets. Booked AC ticket which cost 4x, as there was only 1 seat remaining to be reserved there and there was waiting list for general seats. ₹450 and ₹110 return.

October 8.41GB
September 21.89GB

3 month prepaid plan has been over for a week now but the haven't cut the connection yet. It's just a lot slower than before. New plans and pricing will be declared today, but so far no news. Will try not to recharge until exams are over.

Moksha

34 days until first paper, with which exams start.
Static reserve index: 1 year and 8 months.

Bankai

Re: Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by Bankai »

fiby41 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:32 am
Subscribed to the Atal Pension Yojana APY. Monthly premium of ₹228 until 60 after which ₹5000 fixed monthly payout. At 0% inflation, this will cover 50% of living expenses after 60. At 8%, only 5% will be covered.
Did you look at inflation adjusted plans? Fixed payment in 41 years time might not be worth a lot if at any point there'll be a period of very high inflation.

fiby41

Re: Execution of karma yeilds proficeincy सिद्धिर्भवति कर्मजा Siddhir-bhavati Karmaja

Post by fiby41 »

This plan is mainly geared towards wage labourers in the unorganised sector so that they can have a dignified old age, although it's open to all under 40. For the payout to be non negligible, there was the option for different payout amounts, from which I picked the highest option available.
As you have correctly observed, the premiums are spread over 41 years. So the monthly premiums are also lower at starting age 19, than those for people subscribing at an older age. This plan is insured by the central government so that's a plus.
Other more sophisticated plans like stepped up premiums and inflation adjusted payouts are for employeed people or those who can show reliable source of income. I'm not qualified for those yet.
On a more positive note, now the one time registration required for subscribing to such schemes is done. So it'll be easier to compare and evaluate plans when I will have a job.
Not the best or the most popular plan but for now better than having no plan for nothing. If it really comes to that, there is an option to pause, resume or close+refund with fees&charges involved. This is a general plan open to all citizens. I'll be allowed to get one of the employment-linked plans from the pension fund companies on top of this, provided I work a job.

Tl;dr: this was the only plan I was eligible for.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Studies: outcome is unfavourable so far. I need 64+ marks in all subjects to get a ficonomical salary paying job. For which, I'm not being able to meet daily quotas of topic that I need to cover to get required GPA.

I will have to see other ways to get ficonomical job outside of campus placement.

Artha

Current value |P&L| Percentage
₹89,873.92 |₹8,873.92|(10.96 %)

Favourable outcome. One out of the two funds is doing the heavy lifting. So although the overall outcome is favourable, only one of the fund has reached it's target yet. Even if it doesn't reach it's target, I've little option but to wait for another year in expectations that it reaches it's cumulative 2 year target.

OTOH, if the better performing fund falls below it's target before it's year end, it'll be immediately sold. Target will be revised after completion of one year. It it fails to meet the new cumulative target at the end of the 2nd year, it'll still be kept regardless of its performance. As it would have given one good and one bad year, and judgement would be passed at the end of the third year. The caveat is that it should not erode the gain main in the first two years. Ie. Not fall below second year end level, during any period of the third year. In which case, I'd take 1st years favourable outcome, 2nd years unfavourable outcome, and exit.
fiby41 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am
Demat account र81,608 (up 2%)
My target is 9% before 1 year or 8% every year after 1 year.
9%=4 SWR+4 CPI+1 exit load if sold before 1 year.
Dont know how to adjust for risk in comparison to risk-free FDs offering 8.25% for 7 year lock-ins.
SWR Safe withdrawal rate
CPI consumer price inflation
APY Atal Pension yojana

APY pension plan is now up and running. Opening balance and 1st premium, these 2 amounts have been deducted so far.

I like to think that the premiums for the pension plan go from the interest on the fixed deposits such that it is a self feeding feedback loop. Deductions are 249 per month and interest is 1303 and 1031 quarterly.

Received 500+200 from aunts. Gave 200 to two sisters each (cousin.) Found 500 in demonetised currency that I had forgotten about which was tucked alongside a silver sheet. Both were gifts from aunts years ago.

Kaama

Very interesting topic of visualisation was brought up by mdfire in his journal.

This is the Shri Yantra

Shri is the other Vedic name of the Goddess of Wealth, Lakshmi and yantra means device.

I have lots of downloaded movies but finding it difficult to bring myself about to watch any of those. Only watched The Man Who Knew Infinity as I had nothing to do while on the train to relatives'.

I need money for buying
Crash course fees 4800
Transport: bus and train tickets 500 would last for about a month
wifi device 999
Headphones, price range below 2000
(BIFL buy it for life)
Bitcoins

Moksha

Last paper ends on the 49th day from now.

fiby41

Let there be no fear of ferocious tigers, after having read or heard thus घोर व्याघ्र भयं नास्ति। पठता श्रृण्वतामपि।

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma

Father:

Set up online demat account for father. It will come in use from next financial year.

Tax optimized his income. 1.5 lac in equity linked savings scheme and convinced him to max out his PPF public provident fund with another 1.5 lac. This years tax burden should fall to 24k.

Mother:

She has variable income depending on number of students. Her taxable income is nil yet she has bought ELSS in lacs with 3 year lockins. :x :cry: :facepalm:

Will design, print, and distribute pamphlets in colleges near her classroom. Have to investigate and look into other ways of marketing and reeling in students. She has offered 10% of fees for every student I bring in.

I'm also taking classes in Russian language from her.

Artha

All figures in rupees.

Fixed deposit. 41.803%
Equity 48.699%
Virtual currency 4.864%
Provident and Pension fund 0.799%
Cash. 3.832%
Total 239214

Phoned in and cancelled one of the 2 debit cards I have. One is enough.

Equity:

The funds that I was eyeing had fallen considerably for me to be willing to take a position. So I liquidated the liquid fund to make that much margin available and placed order for the one's I was eyeing at the same time.

By the time the whole ordeal took place those funds were back where they were and I bought at a NAV and number of units that I was not comfortable with. Oh well, liquid funds are not so liquid, lesson learned.

Virtual currency:

First time I accustomed myself to its price (& fickle swings) I wasn't registered with the income tax department so couldn't create an account with the VC exchanges.

After I had obtained pan card with the it dept the price seemed unacceptably high to buy. I wanted to support the technology and what it represents and enables. But not at the cost of fi/being burnt/loosing sleep. Not that my weighted vote of confidence with my money made any difference to anyone but me.

I decided it was best to forget. I ignored all price related news including the bitcoin on the rise thread and only followed information related to the technological aspect, if at all.

Kaama

Cousins:
Visited cousins. Their preferences are beginning to diverge as they grow up. Same movies are not liked by both of them now. So this time I took movies in separate folders which they might like.

Resumed data plan for next 84 days. 459 cost.

Visited Nagpur in central India.
Visited Pench Tiger Reserve at Sillari.
Visited Ramtek.

Paid 500 for account opening fees of online demat account for father from my debit card.

Moksha

6.644% of asset accumulated.

There's a rule of thumb that your equity allocation percent should be 100 - your age. For me it should be 80%. But it is 48.7%. Perhaps I'm conservative. Maybe, but in comparison to other people I could know or general population percentage whose figure I know not of, it may not be soo...

What is important is weather it is in accordance with my temperament and weather it's fickonomical. But these are not fixed. Neither is consumer price inflation.

Funny thing is I was okay with it when I started out and got in this place/asset allocation.
That is, before:
I was aware of this rule or took it seriously,
was comfortable with equity markets and
seeing it's net value P&L go up or down by 1k in a day...

fiby41

सोमं धनस्य सोमिनोमह्यं ददातुसोमिनः ॥

Post by fiby41 »

Dharma: In the works:

Driving License: (two and four wheeler) Provisional appointment for learner's license on the 2nd. Fees: 7000 for driving lessons. Half an hour per day for 21 days 5 days a week.

I will join new batch for learning rifle firing starting next month. They said they'll call back but I'll call again tomorrow to follow-up.
Update: tentative start date 1st week of Feb. Fees: 5000

Slow progress on the Russian and maths front. Fees: 10000.

Attended a short term training program STTP on the topic 'Data Analytics using Python and R' in the first week of the month. ~43 hours. About 50-50 of the time it was hands-on vs lectures. Fees: 1000.

Laptop switches off after ~10 mins of use. I suspect the charger. It's been 8 years. New laptop cost estimate between 22500 and 24500.

There is an exercise facility in a nearby garden but I can't bring about myself to wake up and go out in the cold mornings. I should become a regular there before even considering joining a gym or pool for swimming.

Artha

Percentage allocated clockwise from top right.

Transferred to crypto only international exchange the amounts bought in the dips of 22 dec and 16 jan. Felt bad that I had no money left to buy in the dip of 17 jan.

On 1st jan the network fees on local exchange where I buy for 20% premium was 100b (1%). I was in the STTP mentioned above so couldn't/didn't make up my mind even though I had time in the evenings. On 8th jan when the STTP was over it was 500b (5%). I did the transfer at 1.657% network fees.

Initially I wanted to deposit from local ether exchange but the fees in rupee equivalent came out to be the same ₹500. Some of the BTC was I had was in red but all the ETH was in green so I liquidated the ETH at ~15% to my bank and deposited it to the BTC exchange. On the ETH exchange the fees were 0.25%+18%GST(tax)=0.295% for both buying and selling. But on the ETH exchange prices were closer to the international price while the BTC exchange kept the buying and selling free but charged a premium in the price itself. I still don't know how to factor this bit in the price.

So, I'm down in INR terms but up in terms of BTC and USD. Recent addition since then has been Cardano (ADA). There is also still negligibe amount remaining in the local ETH and BTC exchanges.

My main purpose for moving to the international exchange is not trading. It is the rising network fees which would further sky rocket if the state makes a wrong move. Diversification into other crypto assets is important to me. Now I can't rely on the BTC price to make up for the transfer fees and premium I paid on the local exchange so I might as well buy other cryptos.

The yearly fluctuations in the stock market happen daily in the crypto sphere and it seems almost impossible to pinpoint the reason for these swings.

Per each mutual fund.

9 months ago I bought my first mutual fund

Kaama

Moksha

Static reserve index: 2 years 5 months
AUM assets under management: ₹2,90,283
8.0634% of goal reached.

Meaning of the post title:
Addressing Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth:

Those who have some wealth [are able to] beget more with your grace. So enrich me with some [of your grace.]

~Shree Suktam from the Rig Veda.

Housekeeping: Updated avatar from this
To this

bryan

Post by bryan »

Data usage in Jan looks so discretely linear! Looks like you could benefit from adding videos to your "watch later" playlist and watching or downloading (NewPipe app on github/F-Droid is what you want) while on wifi.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Thanks for the tip Bryan.

Sabaka

Post by Sabaka »

Hiya fiby41, just skimmed through your journal, good work!

I am also interested in Russian (bit of a Russophile to be honest) and have been learning on and off for 3 years (consistently for the last year). Why are you interested in Russian?

Best of luck!

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Sabaka wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am
Why are you interested in Russian?
I think it is because my mother knows Russian and I get some of it free at home.