I'm starting to hate my 9-5?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
BRUTE

Re: I'm starting to hate my 9-5?

Post by BRUTE »

not sure if this is possible in every profession, but brute really enjoys some of the creative parts of his job. his colleagues are mostly nice, pleasant, and fun to work with. there is something to be said for finishing a challenging project.

brute doesn't love all of his job, but he really likes at least 50% of it and loves a few things. if that's not the case for TopHatFox, it's going to be difficult to even do 5 years.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

It's possible the job is a bad fit. There's a million different ways you can earn money. It's not like you need that much of it, or have to get it all up front. Don't anchor on something if you truly hate it. Life is too short.

Funny enough, though, one of the things that keeps me working, is the easy access to a concentrated source of smart people. Once the idiots and assholes are filtered out, there are all sorts of ways to have fun while working. You need to find them. One of my favorite games is to try and figure out someone else's agenda for a meeting, project, promotion, or whatever. Then see how they react when I help them get it. It's more entertaining than being self serving for dollars, and the variance in what people want is fascinating.

I do sometimes wonder, if I'm finding this much enjoyment, am I'm the sociopath making everyone else hate work? Are they all pretending?

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Nah, the job's fine. It's teaching me a ton of wealthy people problems, which is/will be me soon. Minus the heavy overhead of course. I've gotten used to the routine by now. Yay~ (y)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal,
I understand what you are saying re systems, and the only difference between me and a real ERE-er is that I don't worry too much about optimizing wrt to minimizing the role of capital (financial assets). It's a consideration, of course, because it is a finite resource, but it's all part of one palette of tools to me. I don't think of it being "system" stuff except that it is (for myself) or resembles (imperfect understanding of how others do it) an optimization problem. Such a problem requires a parameter to be optimized and a cost function. Money is not one of the things I try to optimize (either accumulating a maximum tally, or minimize the role of) so its use doesn't come with a real high penalty weight. So maybe it's more that I'm just operating under a paradigm that isn't 100% aligned with the "ERE system".

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

@olaz

Just retire right now: http://mashable.com/2013/11/04/bought-a ... ETDgoojOqW

He bought a 50k apartment and it generates 13k a year from Airbnb.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hah, that's cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar in the coming months!