Halfmoon's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Jason

Re: Halfmoon's journal

Post by Jason »

Is that a dog in the blurry photo? Nothing like a dog to take your mind off of things. Although, not knowing the dates of these pictures, I guess that dog could be dead and if he/she is I'm sorry for that. Damn, I'm tearing up over a possibly dead dog I never met. Sometimes I think I should just return my balls and give them to someone who would actually use them.

This blog is now bittersweet to me in that its a retrospective and as we are aware of sad news but are finding joy in the details of a life well lived as it progresses to the present. Sometimes I you tube the final scene in Six Feet Under with that Sia song and cry like a bitch. Christ, I have no fucking idea how to think about things anymore.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 am
When you wind it up, be sure to bind it up. Classic.
Okay; I give up! I've pondered this and googled it, but I just come up with advice on fixing a Yo-Yo. :?
Jason wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 pm
Is that a dog in the blurry photo? Nothing like a dog to take your mind off of things.
Very true. That is Joey the Rottweiler, a wonderful dog who died of bone cancer. He was so loyal to DH that once, when I fell and dislocated my shoulder and was screaming with pain as DH tried to pull it back into place, Joey BIT ME IN THE ASS. Talk about adding insult to injury.
Jason wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:15 pm
This blog is now bittersweet to me in that its a retrospective and as we are aware of sad news but are finding joy in the details of a life well lived as it progresses to the present.
Excellent and poignant description of my current state of mind.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Well, FINALLY, ffj! You asked for that story way back at the beginning, and I started thinking of writing it when I saw your treehouse project.

The tower is still standing and holding the solar panels that power the house. One of my life fantasies was to spend the summer in a fire lookout tower. I never got to do that (and may not have enjoyed the reality), but somehow our tower has always reminded me of a mini fire tower.

Jason

Post by Jason »

When we were in Vermont, we stayed in an Inn that was high up and looked over the mountains with windows on only two sides, as opposed to four sides. After watching that video, I realized how that one room never felt like one room. I also liked how one of the guys said (I am paraphrasing) that "home" is something that he thought about his whole life.

But my God, did you see that blueberry pie? I almost ate my computer looking at that thing.

I just don't know if I could live that high up. I don't believe in life outside of earth, but if by chance I'm wrong, you know that's the type of place those fuckers will focus on. One minute you're cooking up a kick ass omelette overlooking your personal ponderosa and before you know it, you're sprawled out on a table with a bunch of outer space assholes probing your butt with weird devices all because you chose to live in a tree house. That's enough to regret that type of lifestyle choice even if they do let you go back home.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

halfmoon wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:35 am
DutchGirl, thank you! This journal is partly your fault because you encouraged me back when I first joined the forum. :)
I'm very glad I encouraged you back then, because I'm enjoying it so much!

And to me it is a sad thing that life is like that, that people grow older and deteriorate (fast, or slow). It's a sad thing, but still, "that's life". And I'm very glad to read that the both of you had some really truly wonderful and badass years, lived how you wanted to live, et cetera. I hope you'll always be able to cherish those memories. Plus I hope you'll get to make some more, even with some limitations perhaps.

(And comparing it to others, for example that small baby Charlie Gard who suffered and suffered until he died, you and I got the good side of the bargain).

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

ffj wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkArlRbA9VM
ffj, this stole my breath. WOW.

Jason, apparently the alien anal probing shouldn't be your only concern. They also might make you slow dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxOfk0NpgfY

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

DutchGirl, you and saving-10-years have been such an inspiration to me with your positive take on life and your reminders of how lucky DH and I were to get together and lead an adventurous life. A friend of ours just said it was divine intervention that 'two such wonderful oddballs found each other'. A bartender we used to work with said that we were keeping two other people from a life of misery. :lol:

I do truly cherish the memories, probably more so now than ever. I have more stories to tell, and comments like yours keep me going.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Wow...so impressive! Keep it coming, but taking care of your husband has priority of course. We'll be here waiting for you.

Jason

Post by Jason »

halfmoon wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm
ffj wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkArlRbA9VM
ffj, this stole my breath. WOW.

Jason, apparently the alien anal probing shouldn't be your only concern. They also might make you slow dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxOfk0NpgfY
LOL

Man what a violation.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

McTrex wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:58 am
Wow...so impressive! Keep it coming, but taking care of your husband has priority of course. We'll be here waiting for you.
McTrex, what a sweet message. :) I fully intend to keep the story going, though as you say there are other things to attend to meanwhile.
Jason wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:47 pm
Man what a violation.
I know, right? I slow danced with an alien back in high school, and it was a serious violation! :lol: :evil:

Jason

Post by Jason »

Its been almost two weeks. I hope everything is alright.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Jason, I truly appreciate your asking. It's been an exhausting time, but things are looking up. I'm planning an update very soon.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Good to hear. I'm sure many are looking for an update on both your past and present.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

THE PRESENT IS A GIFT

A CURRENT LIFE UPDATE:

Jason has given me permission to share what's going on now, which means some boring medical detail and a certain measure of whining. For those who find this tedious...I don't blame you! Go on over to Jason's journal, which is always entertaining! :D

The pretty great news: DH probably doesn't have a new tumor. What the doctors thought was cancer recurrence was revealed on biopsy to be an aggressive infection in the radiation-damaged soft tissue and bone of his skull. After two months of intense pain, nausea and several hospital stays, he's on heavy antibiotics and will be for another 2 weeks. At that point, he'll have an MRI that will determine whether the infection is cured, is progressing further into his skull, or something in between.

Meanwhile, eating enough to stay alive is a daily chore. He dropped from 135 pounds to 118 and fights to get enough calories between complete loss of taste and difficulty swallowing. About 2 weeks ago, he really committed to the fight after wavering a bit. To celebrate, we've been planting lots of flowers; DH loves flowers. :) I also bought him an AWESOME new beehive for his cherished little babies. A few evenings ago, he transferred the bees from the old hive to the new one while I took photos from the living room window.

Transfer of the first super (with the brood frames) was easier because the frames had pre-made foundation and were therefore more orderly. We built the stand out of cedar and pressure-treated posts, then smeared a band of tanglefoot halfway up the posts to discourage ants.

The next super was new frames and foundations. DH wanted the bees to travel through this one to get to their disorderly top super of honeycomb. He figured that would make them acclimate to the new frames and start laying down comb on them.

Then came the frames without foundation. We'd done this as an experiment because there's a school of thought that bees will draw comb more resistant to varroa mites if they can size it themselves. It's an interesting idea, but it makes transfer to a new hive much more difficult.

The bees seem happy in their new home. We initially removed the old one and then put it back just in case there's another swarm. The bees are completely docile. DH calls them sweethearts. They're right outside our living room window, and they're a joy to watch.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Well that's the bee's knees right there.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

What a lovely gift (you know your man). Thanks for sharing and hopeful that thing settle down soon for your DH's infection now they know what it is.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Jason wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:07 am
Well that's the bee's knees right there.
Jason, 'the bee's knees' was one of my favorite expressions even before I could actually see their knees up close for myself. :)
saving-10-years wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:06 pm
What a lovely gift (you know your man).
Years ago, I read this quote attributed to the Talmud:

Every blade of grass, every flower has its angel that bends over it and whispers, 'Grow, grow.'

I immediately thought of DH, who nurtures insects, plants and animals alike. I never used to have feelings for plants or bugs, but he's infected me to the point that I help him re-home volunteer trees and rescue spiders (former phobia) from the house to release them outside. In the winter, DH often urges me to leave them inside because 'it's COLD out!' Sometimes a wife has to draw the line. :roll:

Jason

Post by Jason »

I don't know about your guy, but if I came out of a life threatening situation like that, there's no point giving me all those bees if they are not followed up with some jays.

Jason

Post by Jason »

I'm one of these internet assholes who, when everything is understood correctly, uses the "b" word as a term of affection towards women I dig. It's a passive aggressive thing I guess. So I'm just wondering where this "b" is at.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I'm wondering, too. Hopefully everyone's okay and life just has been busy.