Entering Ketosis

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
BRUTE

Re: Entering Ketosis

Post by BRUTE »

Felipe wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:43 pm
How do I make the chocolate cream Brute talks about- Whip cream + cocoa and spoon around till dark?
brute dumps a few teaspoons of cocoa powder in some heavy cream and then uses a whisk to whip it up. with the clumpy powder in there and an electric blender, it takes <30 seconds to whip it up.

brute is literally eating it right now.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

I've never done keto, and have no advice there.

But, if you are going for grass fed beef, I suggest you look in Craigslist farm section for local, grass fed beef. Much cheaper to buy a side of beef, and freeze than buy steaks at any market. A bit of a hassle, but if you plan to keep it up, this gets you a very direct look at the source and processing of your food, if that is important to you.

Good luck!

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@Brute
That idea's worked with whipped cream. The guy at Trader Joe's said cream is too thin to make into whip cream but I don't think he knew what he was talking about. Cream make a more solid whipped cream than the store bought stuff and has a lower carb content.

@RiggerJack
Thanks for the pointers. I looked it up and there are some spots about 2 hours away. The price for multiple pieces is slightly lower than the price for ground beef. I'd get ground beef, ribs, steaks, and a greater variety of other cuts but also some more bones. It seems like the beef of a quarter or half cow would fit once we empty our full freezer but my moving in a few months and sharing said freezer makes it seem less feasible now. Good idea for when I'm staying somewhere for months on my own though.

Progress Report:
It seems the worst of keto flu has passed. I still feel lightly tired/foggy but nothing like the past few days. Hunger is still mostly gone. I'd wonder if I was doing it right if it wasn't for hunger's different feeling. Slightly metallic taste in mouth. I like it. Not eating carbs still feels easier than I thought it'd be.

18/6 is working out great. Eat between 12 and 6. Diet is same as last post except now adding apple cider vinegar to 130F water before first meal to help digestion and having some whipped cocoa cream for desert once in a while. I took yesterday off from eggs+bacon and wow that was a bad idea. A pound of bacon a day keeps the doctor away. Had some steak yesterday. Will work through some ground beef and halibut over the coming few days. Have some rockfish, steaks, ground beef, smoked cheese, and lamb in the freezer to work through over the coming weeks. I think my palate should stable out by then. Also have canned salmon and sardines for the fats. For someone who's not used to meat as every meal, this feels surprisingly exciting.

No carb basically means-No grains, sugars (no gi sugar alcohols like xylitol and stevia in moderation), starchy vegetables (a few tbsp onion and garlic for cooking meat in is okay), legumes, nuts, or sweet fruits. This means I'll eat eggs, cheese, meats, and/or butter/cream/olive oil/coconut oil with some dark or cruciferous vegetables/very low carb fruit (an avocado or few olives) for taste. It is simple and I really enjoy the cooking. I feel like my multi-layer salad with whipped cocoa cream desert is going to make for a fancy date night soon.

Will roast walnuts and almonds so they get consumed by other people instead of me. Will gradually try to clear out the junk food (carbs) from the house by leaving it out as snack for family and friends.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Felipe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 pm
The guy at Trader Joe's said cream is too thin to make into whip cream but I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
he didn't. brute made whipped cream out of Trader Joe's heavy cream yesterday and it works just fine.
Felipe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 pm
whipped cocoa cream desert is going to make for a fancy date night soon.
the best part is when Felipe tells them they just consumed 1200kcal in a single serving of dessert after dinner :D

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

When I was doing ketosis, I did a deep dive into all things Peter Attia and found it to be very helpful.

http://eatingacademy.com/

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@Smashter
That was a sweet website. Had me binge reading for a solid day.

@Brute
Finally made it out of heavy whipping cream (no place had heavy cream). So good.

I hadn't planned on the subject of calories coming up. Maybe I'll bring 800k kcal worth for good measure. 400 each isn't a bad meal. Aren't you one of those who believes hormones>calories for body composition? Screw it, this girl looks amazing with some chub on her so I'll pray the calories count and bring a full cup. :lol:

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Felipe wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:00 pm
Finally made it out of heavy whipping cream (no place had heavy cream).
isn't that the same thing?
Felipe wrote:
I hadn't planned on the subject of calories coming up. Maybe I'll bring 800k kcal worth for good measure. 400 each isn't a bad meal. Aren't you one of those who believes hormones>calories for body composition?
indeed, brute believes that calories are rather unimportant in the grand scheme of things when it comes to body composition. brute has eaten 800-900kcal/day (high-carb) for an entire month and not lost a pound. on other occasions, brute has averaged 4,700-4,800kcal/day for a month (meticulous tracking) on keto with IF and actually did lose weight. neither experiment involved much exercise besides walking places.
Felipe wrote:
Screw it, this girl looks amazing with some chub on her so I'll pray the calories count and bring a full cup. :lol:
pics or it didn't happen lol

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

I read somewhere that heavy cream had 20% more fat. Maybe that was misinformation.

The only times I've lost weight consistently have been when I've done intermittent fasting. I think ketosis will simply help with the IF. I'm already doing a daily 16-20 hour fast a week into ketosis.

Does Brute test for ketosis to make sure he's in or does his 6 pack simply tell him he's in?

You're story is comforting and I've heard it elsewhere. I'm eating at least 3000 kcal a day with under 10 grams of net carbs most days so this should work out.

My weight is slowly hovering around 177, it touched 175 for a day this week. Probably too soon to actually mean anything.

Since having some cream in coffee doesn't break a fast, I'm allowing a few spoons of cocoa whipped cream to wake up as my form of coffee since fat alone doesn't evoke in insulin response without protein or carbohydrates.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

cream, heavy cream, whipping cream.. as long as it's 30-40% fat.

for reference, brute does not have a 6 pack. he also does not measure ketones. he did for a while, but it got boring real quick.

while brute approves of the taste of cocoa whipped cream, and it is ketogenic, cocoa is full of fiber. in brute's experience, fiber is bad for digestion, and causes water retention. some zero-carbers and ketoers believe that even the dairy in HWC or butter can be problematic for fat loss. just as a tip for the future, if Felipe wants to play around.

the first month is maybe a good time frame to judge if keto is leading Felipe to fat loss.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

@BRUTE thanks for mentioning the cream + cocoa mix. I too have gone back to a keto diet. It's a bit harder this time around and the whipped cream with cocoa really helped take the edge off.

Now about 2-3 days in, I'm feeling the calm mind of keto come back. Feels good.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

keto mind is the best :)

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

2 weeks in. Weight slowly increased until I ate once a day then it started back down.

I've done well until now on sticking to the diet. I broke yesterday from a combination of stressors. The day before I'd been fasting 30 hours going for longer but I broke and ate a keto meal late after a 30 something hour fast (eventually I will learn to stop pushing so damn hard since it simply leads to burnout). Then yesterday I felt tempted after a long day of work.

I grabbed 2 caramels from the huge bag of sweets in the house. I threw 1 in my mouth, took 2 bites, spit the thing out. Disgusting. Put the closed one back. I tried several things in this manner before finding something palatable. Very few actually tasted good. A fig bar was good. A few flakes of some sprouted cereal was also good. A tiny bit of pb and honey. It's amazing how little of these I ate before feeling over them. I was craving something more. I went to in n out, I ordered a double double animal style, debating on making it protein style, I didn't (should have), and I picked up some animal style fries. The fries were great. I didn't have half the bread for the burger and couldn't finish it. I felt lightly sick. Nothing near keto flu.

I slept fine but this morning my stomach hurts. It''s motivating me to make some adjustments since my gut hasn't felt as healthy with the way I'm doing keto. More vegetables.

Moving Forward:
I haven't been having my vegetable soup. I'll add that back in. Not counting non-starchy/sweet vegetables/fruits as long as there is no sugar added and allowing a small amount of carby ones so I don't binge like last night and instead have the healthy version. (Home made animal fries and protein animal style double double). I like that bread, legumes, and seeds have been out. I like the lower carb but after years of high carb, my body isn't strong with none. I think some adjusting is essential for individuality.

I notice cheese, though delicious, doesn't seem to go well for my gut. Same with bacon. I haven't tried a day without those. Might as well today.

Vegetables (soups, stir fries, salads) and high fat (meat, coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, eggs, cream) with every meal. I'll try to single out which feel healthy for me and which don't. I'll allow for a weekly potato and a couple of onions. Focus will be on fat rather than meat now but will still have meat most days unless my body is craving a break.

Fasting feels easier but I pushed too hard too early.

Today:
I will make vegetable soup and a salad with some meat or a stir fry. No cheese, no bacon. Onions allowed in moderation if craving.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

not all humans do well with dairy. since keto promotes cheese from dessert/snack to entree, sometimes leading to 1lb+ consumption in one sitting, it's not for everybody.

brute personally feels "cleanest" in terms of gut/digestion with zero vegetables, they just seem to make him bloated and feel weird. but at the same time, going from 95% meat to 100% doesn't seem to work out longer than a few weeks at a time before he falls back. fiber is the worst. spinach seems ok.

both keto adaptation and fasting adaptation take time. it's usually estimated that the body takes 3-6 months to fully adapt to ketones as fuel. for high athletic performance, it can be 12-18 months, and only if they're spent training in ketosis.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Felipe -- I'm keeping my eating window short (6 hour food window, 9 hours including my morning coffee) and that works for me better than just diet alone.

Do you take any probiotics? I do (VSL #3) and they help me, but I have celiac and my stomach is kind of a mess. I'm not sure how exactly they are working ... I feel less stressed when I take the probiotics, so I don't know if the calmer stomach is because the probiotic is helping my stomach directly or because I'm less stressed and therefore have fewer stomach issues.

NPV

Post by NPV »

Using this topic as an agglomeration of all things keto: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/large-stud ... d-for-you/

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

People with a high fat intake -- about 35 percent of their daily diet
lol

@Felipe:

there do seem to be differences between different heavy (whipping) cream brands. brute just bought a 2 quart container of the Costco stuff. it sucks for coffee, won't dissolve well, flaky, kind of a "rough" taste. on the other hand, it works much better for making ice cream, seems smoother and doesn't freeze up as quickly as other brands brute has used.

slowtraveler

Post by slowtraveler »

@JennyPenny
I take a probiotic every day. More vegetables have helped.

@Brute
That sounds good...Ice cream..Do I just freeze the whipped cream?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

no, whipped cream is good cooled, but will become too solid if frozen. brute uses an ice cream maker. expensive for a single use toy, pretty much the antithesis of ERE. but it's one of the few desserts brute eats, so he'd say it's worth it.

SavingWithBabies

Post by SavingWithBabies »

BRUTE wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:41 pm
no, whipped cream is good cooled, but will become too solid if frozen. brute uses an ice cream maker. expensive for a single use toy, pretty much the antithesis of ERE. but it's one of the few desserts brute eats, so he'd say it's worth it.
Would you mind sharing your recipes/guide for keto ice cream?

I agree about the machine however my wife bought me one for my past birthday. It's a little Kitchen Aid one where you put the bowl in the freezer (instead of adding salt and ice to the lining bucket). I tried it pre-keto and it made some really great ice cream.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

1.200-400ml heavy (whipping) cream (200ml is a small bowl, 400ml is a big bowl)
2.about 2-3 teaspoons of cocoa powder, for desired brown-ness and flavor

put in ice cream machine until smooth and creamy.

not all brands of heavy cream seem to work well. some brands brute has seen get very icy/frozen. others just become super smooth. might be that the former have lower fat content and the water freezes?

brute sometimes adds a few ml of MCT oil to the mix, because MCT oil doesn't turn solid even when frozen. this makes the ice cream mix a bit smoother and less freezable, if the heavy cream tends to get frozen too solid.

sometimes brute puts the finished ice cream into the freezer after scraping it out of the machine, to "cure" it a bit. he hasn't noticed a difference though.