Visualizing Early Retirement

Favorite quotations, etc.
mausmaus

Visualizing Early Retirement

Post by mausmaus »

I made this because I like to day-deam about the things I'm going to do with my free time, so I thought I'd put my thoughts into pictures.
This is not some "The Secret" crap, where they say if you visualize it you'll magically get what you want. I'm actually working for it, I just did this for fun.

Spending time with my SO

Reading

Taking my dog out for looooong walks

Having a little house somewhere quiet and green

Studying just for fun

Trail riding

Working on small projects

I'd love to see how all of you picture your early retirement or future projects!

wolf

Re: Visualizing Early Retirement

Post by wolf »

Actually it is a great idea. I only write about it and calculate numbers. But visualizing FI looks really good. I guess it is motivating. Do you pin them on the wall? Or what do you do with the pictures? Gotta try it.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

In my mind there is something to visualization as an aid to bringing about an outcome. For me at least, visualization seems to keep my subconscious primed which allows me to more readily recognize opportunities to further whatever goal the outcome of which I am visualizing, opportunities I might otherwise have missed. Another way to say it might be that it makes me a little more prone to be intentional, even on a subconscious level, if that's even possible, ha!

There are some photos 2 or 3 pages back from the most recent entries in my journal that capture part of my retirement vision, some of which I've been able to make happen even before retiring. We're discouraged from cross-posting so I won't re-link them all in this thread.

mausmaus

Post by mausmaus »

MDFIRE2024 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:42 pm
Actually it is a great idea. I only write about it and calculate numbers. But visualizing FI looks really good. I guess it is motivating. Do you pin them on the wall? Or what do you do with the pictures? Gotta try it.
I've saved them in my computer and look at them or search some more online when I feel like fast-forwarding life like in that adam sandler movie. Looking at the pictures I think of future satisfaction and it makes today's sacrifice more bearable.
But on my wall I have some quotes and stuff that remind me to live in the present moment, I want to look at that every day so I don't forget.

mausmaus

Post by mausmaus »

mausmaus

Post by mausmaus »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm
In my mind there is something to visualization as an aid to bringing about an outcome. For me at least, visualization seems to keep my subconscious primed which allows me to more readily recognize opportunities to further whatever goal the outcome of which I am visualizing, opportunities I might otherwise have missed. Another way to say it might be that it makes me a little more prone to be intentional, even on a subconscious level, if that's even possible, ha!
I agree. I don't believe in the The Secret version ("quantum" rearrangement of the universe to materialize my imagination) but I do believe visualizing makes a cognitive and behavioral difference!
IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:20 pm
There are some photos 2 or 3 pages back from the most recent entries in my journal that capture part of my retirement vision, some of which I've been able to make happen even before retiring. We're discouraged from cross-posting so I won't re-link them all in this thread.
I've looked them up. Beautiful place!

mathewsmith12

Post by mathewsmith12 »

mausmaus wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:52 pm
I made this because I like to day-deam about the things I'm going to do with my free time, so I thought I'd put my thoughts into pictures.
This is not some "The Secret" crap, where they say if you visualize it you'll magically get what you want. I'm actually working for it, I just did this for fun.

Spending time with my SO

Reading

Taking my dog out for looooong walks

Having a little house somewhere quiet and green

Studying just for fun

Trail riding

Working on small projects

I'd love to see how all of you picture your early retirement or future projects!
Thank you for sharing this, it was very inspirational :idea: :idea: :idea:

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

I've been meaning to find some pictures to add to this thread, but it took a minute to get around to it. This is the first time I've really visualized my ERE, focused on accumulating as I am. These visualizations will likely be worth revisiting every year or so :mrgreen:

Backpacking

Cooking

Fishing

Routesetting (basement/backyard hobby, or part-time work)

Running a tabletop game

Making video games (a new hobby)

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Great thread! I think this is a very useful exercise because it is in high contrast to spread-sheeting your way to ideal lifestyle. Changing focus from quantitative to qualitative might actually allow you to realize that you are closer to your ideal that you thought. Another interesting exercise might be taking actual photos, or qualitative journal description/"snapshots" of moment in your current lifestyle to find room for instant improvement.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

I started assembling some images as well and then it dawned on me that I didn't want to look at pictures of other people doing things I'd like to do in a few years. I'd rather look at a collection of images of me doing a little NOW, of what I'm going to be doing a LOT of later.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'll have to get somebody to take a picture of me splitting firewood. Just for that picture I'll do it shirtless! I generally wear coveralls. After they're soaked in sweat they're not too hot.

mausmaus

Post by mausmaus »

Viktor K wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:22 am
I've been meaning to find some pictures to add to this thread, but it took a minute to get around to it. This is the first time I've really visualized my ERE, focused on accumulating as I am. These visualizations will likely be worth revisiting every year or so :mrgreen:

Backpacking

Cooking

Fishing

Routesetting (basement/backyard hobby, or part-time work)

Running a tabletop game

Making video games (a new hobby)
Awesome! Your goals are really cool

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Nice presentation of goals!

Although "Affirmation without discipline is the beginning of delusion", the former can often be used to kick-start the latter.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Related discussion: What do YOU want?

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi There,

In my case, writing a journal helps to see where we are going, track the achievements and keep the motivation up.

Your pictures inspired me to do a wall of ERE where I will have pictures of recent trips to Spain (planning in moving there), camping trips and NW forecast!

Italiano

Post by Italiano »

Very cool. Tells a story. I am a big believer in visualization as well as affirmations , journaling etc..

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

These are really attractive photos. If you are just amateur photographers taking some pics, I have a lot to learn. But yeah, visualizing sets a mood and provides inspiration in a way that spreadsheets just cannot do. You inspired me to get my camera out. Very cool!