brute journal

Where are you and where are you going?
James_0011

Re: brute journal

Post by James_0011 »

BRUTE wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 8:41 pm
while brute isn't sure that fish oils in that dosage are super harmful, he personally doesn't take any. tried it once, didn't notice any difference. strangely, he didn't get any fishy burps either, which many humans report.
You're into paleo stuff right? From that perspective there is no way that humans are adapted to omega 3 consumption - humans are tropical animals and omega 3s only exist in cold waters. There are no omega 3 rich fish in the Tropics. The omega 3s won't oxidize in the cold water but will at normal human body temperature.

Also think about bears, they eat a lot of salmon and other omega 3 rich fish before they hibernate in order to slow down their metabolism and enter a torpor for winter. When they come out of hibernation they switch to berry consumption amoung other things and don't start fish again until the fall before hibernation.

ThisDinosaur

Post by ThisDinosaur »

BRUTE wrote:
thermodynamics is not interesting to brute because it's a tautology. of course it's true, it's like saying that in order for the tub to contain less water, water must have left the tub. now what?
No, my question is, how can one lose weight without reducing calories? I used to believe the hormone hypothesis, too. I argued its not how much you eat, but what you eat, that determines body composition. That the difference lies in changes in BMR. But I changed my opinion when i realized that growing more fat, an anabolic process, requires a larger input of energy/calories than is even stored in the fat itself. The connection between diet and markers of bad health is obesity. And obesity is about calories.

@james, I liked that link. I'll be reading more Ray Peat. Here's a good exercise for anyone who is interested in this stuff. Pick your favorite nutrient or health food. Now find all the articles you can that describe why its bad for you. Give the author the benefit of the doubt and try to really understand their argument.

@jp
Ive read through that thread before. I think a lot of the evidence for IF is strong. I dont do it, though, because i found that my willpower to make good food choices was reduced after i have been fasting. Strictly a behavioral issue for me. Ive never been overweight, so i have very little motivation to starve myself only to binge later.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

James_0011 wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 am
You're into paleo stuff right?
not too much. it's a nice narrative with too many exceptions to be useful beyond that.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

ThisDinosaur wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 9:22 am
No, my question is, how can one lose weight without reducing calories?
again, it's tautological, if "lose weight" means "lose body fat". there are x calories stored as body fat in ThisDinosaurs body. if he reduces the fat, he reduced the calories.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

3 years of expenses
savings rate: 2.25

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

It popped in diffrent topic.
BRUTE wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 3:35 pm
3.brute has never cared much about high total cholesterol, as he knows that it isn't actually bad - doctors are just misinformed. brute's actual lab values are great, as recently discussed with a vegan somewhere here on the forum. brute's trig/HDL ratio is <2, where 4+ is "cardiovascular risk".
How about other fact on lab tests?
In what do you trust?
Care to give sources?
One more time, calling MD misinformed is quite interesting :D?

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

tbh, brute is too lazy to keep the chain of source custody intact. he's not out to convince anyone who isn't asking.

there are facts on lab tests brute cares about: glucose, Hg/bA1C, triglycerides, HDL (and their ratio).

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

3 years of expenses
savings rate: 0.4

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

3.3 years of expenses
savings rate: 1.52

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Too many degrees of freedom.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am
Too many degrees of freedom.
?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Can't solve for E or I.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:59 pm
Can't solve for E or I.
?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

BRUTE eats a pile of potatoes each year. BRUTE has 3.3 piles of potatoes. BRUTE can dig potatoes 2.52 times faster than he must eat potatoes.

A) How many potatoes are in a pile?
B) How many potatoes does BRUTE dig each month?

(Disregard fact that BRUTE does not actually eat potatoes for purposes of this exercise.)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

oh. maybe it would help 7Wannabe5 to think in terms of piles of steak, not potatoes.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

I love the "Man speak like Tonto in Third Person" thing.

For no easily traceable reason, I am reminded of a story by Adam Roberts, placed in some future where there is AI and also still the influence of Christianity, in a VR playbox where in order for an Artificial Intelligence to be promoted into reality and put to work, it first had to experience a Fall From Grace by disobeying an instruction of "Eat not from the tree of knowledge" variety. The AIs that obeyed prohibition, were quietly deleted. Sad.

Don't be that robot: act with agency! Excuse the irrelevancy of this post to your ERE blog. Good luck with carrying on there, 3x expenses shows you are under way.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

thanks?

C40

Post by C40 »

I think it's some kind of code to decipher. Sort of like how Neo was first getting weird messages (in the "the Matrix" movie). That's kind of how a lot of sci-fi hero movies start out.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Last edited by classical_Liberal on Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

This journal is hilarious. From nihilism, a sharp left turn to dieting. Weird.

Anyway, just also wanted to say that I also sometimes stare into the existential abyss that is life. I'm coming around to two reactions: I can choose to focus on the lack of any inherent meaning to life or I can choose to focus on the distractions that I find most meaningful and/or enjoyable. This gets hard at my job. But I suppose that's the problem I'm choosing for myself a la Manson. And whether it is a true "choice" or not in some objective Truth manner is irrelevant to me as it appears to me to be how it works, so I can only go with that (think of it as evolution shaping the way human minds map sensations and whatnot onto the external world. Whether the mapping is "accurate" or not is not the point, the point is the mapping is what has survived). The problem with the evolutionary approach to meaning is that I find myself wanting to chase skank dolls.

Am also considering some dietary changes, so an interesting set of exchanges to read.

Anyway, good stuff. Carry on.