Mushroomy Journal of Hégé

Where are you and where are you going?
Hégé

Mushroomy Journal of Hégé

Post by Hégé »

I'm a starting a journal. I am 20 years old and I am from Belgium. I would like to reach early retirement at around 30-40 years old. But my main goal is to become educated, happy, and to live according to my values.

Current situation:
  • I work in a Permaculture farm. I am being paid 12€/h in black. In a year it should be a bit more official.
  • I don't have a formal education, besides high school.
  • No debt, a few thousands in the bank.
  • No housing, transportation and food spendings. Yes, I still live with my family.
  • My education is reading books and going to courses (Permaculture courses mostly, but this year I am also doing a bread course and mushroom farming course)
  • INFP :D
Goals for the month
  • Study for mushroom farming course (P.Stamets, P.mcCoy) and try to produce shiitake with PF TEK
  • Study for bread course (Books?) but mostly try to make a sourdough bread every weekend at least.
  • Finish book: introduction to political science
Habit breaking
  • No more computer in bed....

Nice to meet you all! I hope this will be fun.

sorry for bad english, this journal will be a good exercise

halfmoon

Re: Mushroomy Journal of Hégé

Post by halfmoon »

Welcome, Hege! (Sorry; don't know how to add the acute accents.) I had to google PF TEK, and it looks pretty interesting. Now my DH will have another way to mess up the kitchen. :roll:

Over 5 years ago, we bored holes in a freshly-cut alder stump (it was a double-stemmed tree, so we cut off one trunk) and planted shiitake plugs. To our disappointment, we never saw signs of any mushrooms. This spring, an alder fell across one of the paths in our forest. As we began to cut it apart, we realized that it was the other trunk of the double tree we'd cut and inoculated. On the stump were several pounds of beautiful shiitake mushrooms!

Good things sometimes come to those who wait, but we're still going to try PF TEK. :D

Jason

Post by Jason »

If they gave out awards for Journal titles, you'd get my vote. "Mushroomy Journal of Hege" - I'm thinking somewhere between Winnie The Pooh and The Electric Kool Aid Acid Tests.

Good luck Hege.

Hégé

Post by Hégé »

About a year later

I haven't updated my journal since I've started it. Probably because the year wasn't that interesting. I left my the house I lived in for free and got into a shared house with friends. It was fun some times, but it was also quite unproductive. I realized how much the people around you can influence you when they have bad habits (almost all of them non-working, non-student). I was always pushing myself to go to the opposite force, but it is just too much work.

Started to be a bit depressive about it, I wanted my old, more productive life back. Also the permaculture project I was involved in wasn't really active this year so it didn't help to feel fulfilled.

A new job, starting tomorrow

I have got a new job! And it is amazing. I'm continuing this journal because I think it will be interesting to some people. My job is being an food artisan in an amazing business with amazing people, amazing knowledge, highly respectful of the environment (permaculture).

It is a real change for me, I had to leave my country for it, family, girlfriend, friends. But it is a classic example of a job that you would do even if you were retired.

With money going with it...

It will also be the first time I have a job with a contract (fulltime), so I am going to be able to start some real savings. The salary is small, but I am being fed there and the cost of living is low. Also it is a village in the mountain with almost no shops so there won't be a lot of temptations for the 4 dollars cup of coffee :P

------------------------------------------------

I will probably post some picture at some point, I know there's quite a lot of people here interested in ecology and cooking. We do bread, pasta, pastry, fermentations.

hegesippe

Post by hegesippe »

More than 2 years later

I haven't updated this journal in more than 2 years and I lost my old account, so here I am again.

Last day of the new job

In my previous message, I was announcing a new job in a new country, it was a fucking roller coaster and now I am quitting this job.
I learned a lot, the quality of life was sometimes very good, but lately, working with a narcissist boss was getting really hard on me. I wasn't free enough with him and I could not even think of anything related to ERE.

So I saved 0$. But I learned a lot of valuable and rare skills.
Salary too small, and to cost of living was much higher than anticipated. Also much more restaurant for sociability than I thought.

Moving back to my old country

I will be quitting In a week and going back to my old country.
I have learned a lot about quality bread baking (my job was being a baker) and I think I can capitalize on this knowledge in my country were there's still not a lot of competition.

One thing I thought about to make money is to teach people to make bread at home with ZOOM. With COVID-19, the demand is up up up.
In my old job we actually did it and we charged 100$ the lesson (with the flour and sourdough in a package) and it sold very well.
You don't need a lot of material to get started with this business. Takes just of few hours of your weekend, a kitchen and good internet connection.
100$ per person, 20 peoples at the same time, for a weekend. It's not bad.

I need to start to save... I will be concentrating in diminishing the cost of my lifestyle (I got the habit of buying quality food product from artisan, since I worked in a well known bakery in the culinary world (we are on national TV at least 10 a year...))

It's good to back in the land of the free

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

i like this journal—few posts but interesting trajectory!

from idealistic teen to experienced businessperson in 3 years is quite an evolution.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Sounds awesome all around :). yay for skill-building! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that your new business does well.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Cool journal!