dull numbers journal

Where are you and where are you going?
fog_tree

Re: dull numbers journal

Post by fog_tree »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:32 am
Hello fog_tree

I too am planning on FIRE in March 2022, right before my 35th Birthday. A big part of those plans involves spending extensive time in Poland (family is from Rzeszow). I am hoping to take a 6-12 month sabbatical in 2020 to test drive the ERE lifestyle before doing it full time.

Where in Poland do you reside?
It's north of Poland.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

I love april/may change. Here in central europe it is a time of spring burst. Everywhere is so green and this is so young, so intense green. This year the weather is below the average so I decided to skip this long weekend break (I intended to go to some places in Hungary, maybe Sopron, maybe Esztergom, maybe Sarospatak, but gave up). Next month I plan to go to South Moravia for a week of biking, (I didn't spend a single euro now - good for me), beside I will visit south of Hungary in July this year ( Barcs and Harkany surroundings). Financial affairs are pretty well, just a bit below my target threshold.
Assets : 289,470
Liabilities : 227,763
NW : 61,706
Time passed : 16,2%
ERE savings : 15,4%
Savings/Time ratio : 95,3%
Last edited by fog_tree on Fri May 05, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

Last week I did a discovery, that somebody named my way of budgeting, and he/she did it long time before me !!!
It's a zero sum budget:
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2013/ ... um-budget/
and this kind of budget works very well for me.

Here is current asset allocations:

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

May has gone. The best month in a year is over. June is too hot for me. Nevertheless , i'm still on track to my ERE target.
Liabilities: 225,548
Assets: 293,549
NW: 68,001
Time passed: 17,6%
ERE savings: 17%
Savings/Time ratio: 96,3%

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

+50K in six months. Nice work.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

I needed the leave I had this month. We went to Morawy (Czech/Austria) border and cycled 230 km in 7 days on 20 inch wheels. This was a very frugal vacations on a 600 euro budget (for a family 2+2 for including transfer, accommodations and home made food). I spend half of my holidays budget and only 600 euro left. This leave didn't interfere my savings and my current numbers are:
Liabilities : 224,401
assets : 298,352
NW : 73,950
Time passed: 19,11%
Ere savings : 18,48%
Savings/Time ratio : 96,7%

wolf

Post by wolf »

Hi fog_tree. Your frugal vacation is a great idea. I also want to cycle in my holiday. Did you camp or stay in small apartments?
Why do you use a "Savings/Time ratio"? What is the idea behind this? Looking forward to learn a new indicator.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

@MDFIRE2024
We stayed in 'rooms for let' - small appartments rented by family, size ~ 30 - 40 m2 but equipped with stove and pots and other equipment.
Saving/time ratio ..... I estimated amount of money I need to retire (Savings) and assumed time to reach it. 100% is my target, showing that month ofter month I'm gathering sufficient amount of money to reach my ERE target on time.
<100% shows that I'm below my target and I need to motivate myself to save harder, and >100% that I have some reserve on my way towards ERE.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

Current asset allocation:

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

That was very educational month. We left our kids in my in laws and went for a holidays - first time without children since 2002 year.... and found there is communication gap between us. We learnt a lot about our habits we never heard before. So, before early retirement we need to come close each other again. Raising kids is a huge disruption in a relationship. We focus on other staff and don't see the spouse. On the number side everything is pretty well:
Liabilities: 222,412
assets : 302,362
NW : 79,949
Saving/time ratio : 97%

wolf

Post by wolf »

fog_tree wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:49 am
.... and found there is communication gap between us. We learnt a lot about our habits we never heard before. So, before early retirement we need to come close each other again. Raising kids is a huge disruption in a relationship. We focus on other staff and don't see the spouse.
I guess, not only the numbers count on the way to a good life, but also (or even more important) the relationships we have in our life. Wish you all the best, that you two manage this phase in your lifes.
You can always earn more money, but time is limited. IMO, that also counts somehow for the relationships.
BTW, good to see that you also have a positive progress on the numbers.

fog_tree

Post by fog_tree »

You are right @MDFIRE2024 time is priceless. This is why we go on a holiday instead of more saving. These years are the time we have willingness, health and money to go but in a 5 years this can change. Our last trip was to Hungary for 2 weeks on a 600 euro budget (for both) including accommodation, food, fuel and tolls ( we went by car). We also took our bicycles and did 400 km in 5 different locations (most of the time in over 30 C degree heat). I have nearly reduced my holidays/emergency found to null so it is time to start saving for next year holidays.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

This is me fog_tree; I dont know why but I was neither able to log in nor to recover my password; I think I lost my credentials :(
Never mind, I'm still on ERE path but under different name.
You can recognize my by my faulty english :)
So below are my end of august numbers:
Assets: 305,578 PLN
Liabilities: 219,675 PLN
NW: 85,901 PLN
Saving/time ratio : 97,1%

JollyScot

Post by JollyScot »

Flying towards retirement, congrats

I know a few people who have been on cycling holidays, however your version sounds like a nice relaxing trip. As opposed to the midlife crisis fuelled "look I'm an athelete now" versions.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

During this year's holidays I slipped on over o dozen houses/accommodation and after returning home decided to improve 'my place' to be more energy efficient.
1) I replaced my tub with a shower to reduce my water bill.
2) I replaced my gas stove with induction hob to reduce moisture (gas stove is a big moisture producer) and burns oxygen to carbon dioxide. Many survey says that there is far too much carbon dioxide in houses with gas stove.
3) I separated hot water container from cental heating system to be independent.
Everything above were done myself. Hydraulics works seems to be my new hobby.
I paid for it ~ 4,200 PLN (1000 euro) including new hob (old one were 9 y.o.)

wolf

Post by wolf »

10cents wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 pm
During this year's holidays I slipped on over o dozen houses/accommodation and after returning home decided to improve 'my place' to be more energy efficient.
1) I replaced my tub with a shower to reduce my water bill.
2) I replaced my gas stove with induction hob to reduce moisture (gas stove is a big moisture producer) and burns oxygen to carbon dioxide. Many survey says that there is far too much carbon dioxide in houses with gas stove.
3) I separated hot water container from cental heating system to be independent.
Everything above were done myself. Hydraulics works seems to be my new hobby.
I paid for it ~ 4,200 PLN (1000 euro) including new hob (old one were 9 y.o.)
What is the ROI, you think? When will your investments will be paid back?

10cents

Post by 10cents »

@MDFIRE2024 I think this improvements wont benefit in financial way ever.
Point 1 economical positive (lower water bills)
Point 2 economical negative (electricity is more expensive than natural gas)
So I don't expect any ROI, but I expect life quality betterment.
My house in next to forest and close to wet places;
this is good in a summer time, flora is quite lush and gardening is my april to october hobby
but in a late autumn and early spring despite good ventilation I have in my house problems with humidity;
Moreover winters in Poland can be severe; heavy ventilation when there is -20 C degree can be expensive
and my wife hobby are cooking and baking; she even likes to bake a bread and I don't want to restrict her - winter is really boring time in Poland (snow& rain & hardly no sun).

10cents

Post by 10cents »

I have been thinking long and hard about FIRE and have problem with 'RE' part. What will I be doing on early retirement? Now my life is full with obligations: kids, family, work. I feel tired. But in a few years my kids will start theirs own life. So if I drop a job then - how will I fill every single day. I need more preparation to RE tha FI part of my FIRE targets. Maybe some staycations next year as mini-retirement, part time job or just simle my current job but without a fear or a stress. FI part is stil on track:
End of September numbers:
Assets: 311,365
Liabilities: 219,634
NW: 91,732
Saving/time ratio: 97,4%

wolf

Post by wolf »

10cents wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:45 am
I have been thinking long and hard about FIRE and have problem with 'RE' part. What will I be doing on early retirement? Now my life is full with obligations: kids, family, work. I feel tired. But in a few years my kids will start theirs own life. So if I drop a job then - how will I fill every single day. I need more preparation to RE tha FI part of my FIRE targets. Maybe some staycations next year as mini-retirement, part time job or just simle my current job but without a fear or a stress.
Hi 10cents. Don't stress out. I guess you have enough time to plan and prepare for it. Although my nickname suggests that I want to RE in 2024, I am not too confident that I actually do it like from 100% work to 0%. I also have thoughts about mini-retirements, part-time-work, work change, ... I call this the transition phase. You don't know what the next few years bring for you (or me). Preparation is good. I guess the important part is FI, because it gives you many opportunities...and when you are FI you will have time to think about your next steps. How long do you expect it takes you to FI? Maybe you can try something (traveling, mini-retirement, new hobby or activity) next year in your vacation?`
By the way: Keep on going...and saving...and investing...Take care.

10cents

Post by 10cents »

Thank you for your comment MDFIRE2024. FIRE is far more complicated than save 75% now and retire in 5 years. I started my journal with 100% saving goal and now I'm transforming my goals towards better life now and in future. FI part goal is to reduce now and annihilate in future money problems. 70% saving is a perfect way to reach this. RE can be tricky. When you separate work from money, when you work just for fun, or to meet some people you like, or to prove yourself you are good at solving problems - work loses his negative impact on you mood.
Well, I'm still thinking about FIRE 1000 times more than I write here and now can see many capabilities for me.

I predict to achieve FI in 52 months +/- 6 months.