Best solution for ~3 mi professional commute: Electric Bike, Touring Bike, Scooter/Moped, Car, Shuttle, etc.?

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Scott 2

Re: Best solution for ~3 mi professional commute: Electric Bike, Touring Bike, Scooter/Moped, Car, Shuttle, etc.?

Post by Scott 2 »

Shuttle = networking, I'd try for that

SustainableHappiness

Re: Best solution for ~3 mi professional commute: Electric Bike, Touring Bike, Scooter/Moped, Car, Shuttle, etc.?

Post by SustainableHappiness »

Oh another thing. Winter eats your bike. Wiping it down every day or two quickly (5 minutes) does wonders to make it not rust implode.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Is it forbiden to bike on the road itself?
If not, i'de just keep one bike, and use it for commute, and change cloth on site.
An electric bike is really not needed for such a short distance.
Even running would be 20 minutes, but you might need to shower on site.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I can't say if it is a better option than walking or a moped but for years I did a four mile commute on a mountain bike in all weather. I wore business casual (polyester dress pants, undershirt, dress shirt) on the ride.

Snow was no problem as long as it wasn't really deep. Rain or heat/humidity is worse because it makes it more likely that you'll get sweaty. I would go slowly to avoid getting sweaty. If it was really hot/humid out I would wear a t shirt for the ride and then switch to the dress shirt at work. Leave your dress shoes at work.

If you are not in good shape already the first ride will result in you getting sweaty. Give it a week or two and it will be easy. Don't do it on your first day. You don't want to show up at work late or sweaty (I did both).

It helps that I was in a bike friendly area. If you are going to ride on high traffic country roads in the dark in winter I would recommend against it.
Of note, is there an option to get a motor that one could quickly attach and detach from a manual bicycle - maybe a motor mounted on the down-tube braze-ons where the water bottle cage would be? That might be the best option: a nice manual touring bike with a light-weight and attachable motor. : )
I'm not sure how well they work but for a few hundred dollars you can get a front wheel with a motor built into the hub, a controller, and a battery. This will make your bike into an e bike and should be very fast to install/remove. Maybe someone who actually has one can address how easy it would be to change over.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Slow biking and/or getting Uber pick-up if the weather really sucks should take about same amount of time, so I would recommend this as your best overall lowest expense/hassle/sweat option. I keep considering the possibility of a scooter, but that is only because I ride through some rough neighborhoods.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

I would use one of your current bikes for the first 4 weeks of the job. Mix in walking. You start employment at a warm, convenient, easy time of the year for weather to commute while learning and building skills. After some time at the job, you might change methods. You could meet coworker to network and commute. You might find more optimal housing. No need to spend $$$ before you fully know the system. As you master the summer season, the appropriate answer for winter will take shape.

Noedig

Post by Noedig »

Without my bike commute, I would (and have in the past) turned into a potato. With the commute, each day is the better for the moderate metabolic zinger it gives me. Go bike. Possibly with one of your current bikes, and reconsider come autumn.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

+1 for slow biking. Getting electric assist for 3 miles seems like overkill for someone who is already accustomed to riding regularly, even on a hilly route. Even if it's not the easiest method of getting to work, I'd choose the 30 minute cycle with a shower at the office over an hour walk. Its the most fun, and slightly quicker than walking, albeit more expensive.

I'm wearing business casual at the office, and bring in a fresh shirt rolled up around underwear. The shirt can get slightly creased during the joruney, but they will fall out within a few minutes of wearing due to body heat. I leave shoes and trousers and a towels at work, rotating them out for washing as needed.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years »

Do you have a car sharing scheme at your new employers? I managed to do a car share where the other person was always the driver because my place was en route. This could be only for the more inclement weather and walking sounds fine for the other occasions. Three miles is a nice but not onerous walk. You may wish to do shopping and other errands on the return route. (Written as someone who never bikes).

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

vexed87 wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am
+1 for slow biking. Getting electric assist for 3 miles seems like overkill for someone who is already accustomed to riding regularly, even on a hilly route.
I've got an e-bike and to be honest I ride it everywhere and mostly flat out, it's a huge amount of fun.

wood

Post by wood »

Prepare to be the weird one in that office space.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

wood wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am
Prepare to be the weird one in that office space.
Some things never change :D