Adopted a Dog, Now What?

Move along, nothing to see here!
Ego

Adopted a Dog, Now What?

Post by Ego »

We found a poor little three-legged Cockapoo wandering around the trash area of our building. It was left by a tenant when they moved out and was looking for a new home so we adopted it. Mrs. Ego decided to name it Inocentes. Yeah!

Here he is with his new lifelike prosthetic.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Adopted a Dog, Now What?

Post by jacob »

Given your opinions on pets, you should have named him "Indefensible" after Buffett's G-IV :-P

The dog is likely to be microchipped---this would CYA just in case there's a small probability that he's actually lost and not ditched.

If you're going to keep him and even if you don't, step one would be to go to a vet and get him checked out (heart worm, fleas, parasites, rabies, neutered, etc.). Owners who are irresponsible enough to ditch a pet might not have been too conscientious about that either. The vet would also be able to read the chip or install one if not present.

The city might also require tags/pet tax/chip.

If you're going to rehome, do so quickly, because dogs do get attached to persons.

If you're going to keep, congratulations on your new 5-15 year commitment. The most important I think is to ensure that the dog has at least some training (sit, stay, come) and that you meet its expectations of daily activity/maintenance (read: play or walk). Food you can DIY. I can dig up our recipe but it's mostly rice, chicken, and frozen vegetables (peas and carrots) --- all cooked together in a big pot.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

How about naming him Implausible? I smell an April Fool's joke. If not, great advice on all counts from Jacob.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

halfmoon wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am
I smell an April Fool's joke.
Duh! That's what I get from not paying much attention to what day/date it is anymore.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

Ego

Post by Ego »

jacob wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 am
halfmoon wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am
I smell an April Fool's joke.
Duh! That's what I get from not paying much attention to what day/date it is anymore.
Aw crap, I've gotta work on my April fools day jokes.