Would you give your kids money for college or life?

How to explain ERE, arranging family matters
pukingRainbows

Re: Would you give your kids money for college or life?

Post by pukingRainbows » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:26 pm

@halfmoon - Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I'm at a loss as to what to say to someone who has faced such difficulty and struggled to overcome it. It's really an amazing feat. Thank you for your hard-earned perspective.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:12 pm

@pukingRainbows, thank you. I feel for the pain my stepson has endured being addicted, homeless, jailed and beaten -- however largely self-inflicted it may have been. It's hard to describe his palpable relief at having a home of his own, and I'm grateful that living frugally has enabled us to provide that. This was my motivation for telling the story, despite the risk of oversharing. As @jennypenny pointed out, one of the potential benefits of an ERE lifestyle is being able to make a difference in others' lives. What remains is to decide on the form and timing of assistance; hence the original subject of this thread.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:00 pm

@halfmoon - your story makes a great reminder about the importance of catering the approach to the individual. Some people are dealt a much more difficult hand than others, and it's easy to lose sight of that. Caring for your step son sounds like a real challenge, he's fortunate to have your help.I can only imagine finding the right path with those problems has been incredibly trying.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:02 am

@Scott 2, I somehow missed this comment back when you wrote it; thank you for the thoughts. It's been trying for all involved, but I'm happy to say that since I wrote my first post, DS has found a job he really likes and can comfortably perform. His boss likes him, and it's close enough to come home at lunch and see his dog. We have our fingers crossed.