Money is power. Never forget that.

Favorite quotations, etc.
slowtraveler

Re: Money is power. Never forget that.

Post by slowtraveler »

That resentment SW initially had to money is how I spent much of my teens. Thinking I was too good for money, that the financial system would collapse any day and an egalitarian, ecology-based society would arise as the norm.

I ended up earning decent money, partially out of luck, and feeling the rewards of this, realized money>academics while in college. By the time I found ERE, I knew money was very useful- I'd tried starting multiple businesses that all failed since I thought massive income from entrepreneurial endeavors were the only way to be free. Once I realized how modifiable expenses were, I realized a new kind of freedom.

I'm thankful I got this lesson early, and for all the wise souls showing us young ones the way. By 30, my dividends will exceed my expenses.

Aansar

Post by Aansar »

riparian wrote:When I saw the title I was like, "did I make that thread?" LOL

Lately I've been coming to realize that money isn't just the power to have a place to live, options, security, etc, it's also the power to change society. Consider - I want to change a law. Am I better off getting a degree that will someday enable me to do research, or hiring a lawyer and researcher? I want homeless people in my city to have a warm place to sleep even if they don't fit into the religious rules of the shelter. Should I lobby the state for more funding and better rules, or buy an apartment building? With all that in mind, should I be getting an education or making money?
riparian, Same sort of view I also had. Anyway, must say its true Money has great value in our lives and we can't deny it. I am a traveller and often realized the importance of money in my life.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart in ten years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn't see the difference.
~Francis J Underwood

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Seems like the old stone building would have to be a mill attached to a stream if it is going to represent Power rather than something like Robust Fortitude.

Clarice

Post by Clarice »

@fiby41 and 7wb5:

thank you for resurrecting this thread - fascinating. Money is definitely one of the forms of power with others being (in no particular order):
- health
- beauty (ever been young and cute and talked yourself out of a traffic ticket?)
- muscle power
- power that comes from a barrel of a gun
- skills (don't need money, can do it myself)
- and (going all the way back to OP) the power of social status (who stands and who runs to shake hands). In today's academia, though, from my observations, this power is largely fake. It's a game to keep those burdened with high IQ preoccupied.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Clarice wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:40 am
- beauty (ever been young and cute and talked yourself out of a traffic ticket?)
God, I miss those days. Although I was more of a crier than a talker.

prognastat

Post by prognastat »

@Clarice

Definitely agree, though I would say the boundaries can be quite fuzzy and exchange between some if very efficient and inefficient or even impossible in others.

- Money and health for example are quite closely tied in that the life expectancy gap between the poor and wealthy is rather large.
- Beauty is also tied to an extent, we have a certain genetic capacity for beauty, but money can definitely help in the form of being able to afford better nutrition, the time and money to either learn nutrition/exercise or to pay someone to help you with it(personal trainers, also helps with deficient willpower).
- Muscle power, if you lack it you can use money to have someone else use theirs.
- Skills, you can spend money for an education or reducing your income temporarily and going through a form of apprenticeship exchanging potential money for skills.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Wealth of stocked food grains (food security)
Wealth of knowledge/skills
Wealth of accumulated capital/money
Wealth of progeny (children)*
Wealth of domesticated animals
Wealth of industry and courage (risk-taking)
Wealth of social relations
Wealth of primordial physical strength (muscle power)

These are the eight types of wealth personified by the eight forms of Lakṣmī (Octa/Aṣṭa-Lakṣmī)
At this juncture, only the first three levels have their altars open for my worship.

*Beauty, fertility, cuteness, youth are all means to this end.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6084&start=40#p153661

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

jacob wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 pm
I prefer to see the [human] world as governed by five rulebooks.
I started writing a book based on this idea, but I later found it wasn't terribly original/it had already been done.
books titles?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

jacob wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:12 pm

[...]

War laws
Cultural laws
Legal laws
Financial laws
Natural laws

[...]
Adding what you cut out, just for the fun of it:

War laws - red / faustian
Cultural laws - blue / postfaustian
Legal laws - green / postmodern
Financial laws - orange / modern
Natural laws - purple / animistic (at the risk of someone frowning at this one, but hey Newton let God govern all the cogs)

Qazwer

Post by Qazwer »

fiby41 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 am
Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart in ten years. Power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I cannot respect someone who doesn't see the difference.
~Francis J Underwood
I first looked at this and thought it must have been written prior to Kevin Spacey’ stall from power but then I realized it was written in 2018 and the allegations leading to being fired from being Francis Underwood was 2017-2018. The actor is financially stable (I think) with an awful reputation. Money is a much more stable form of power.