Ex-lawyer

Say hello!!
thrifty++

Re: Ex-lawyer

Post by thrifty++ »

Wow sure sounds like your having an awesome time.

What was it that "the old bitch" complained about? Seems a little bit random.

Did

Post by Did »

She gave us three stars. Every other review is 5. Some sweeping generalisations mainly. She didn't enjoy her holiday in Australia, didn't like the beaches, her own family didn't want to see her. I can see why....

Did

Post by Did »

Summer in Ireland is a delight. We have continued our sitting, mother in law in tow, and as luck would have it now find ourselves looking after a pet free mansion near one of Ireland's popular beach destinations - Tramore. Before this we were in another delightful town called Westport.

Between sits I joined a local home brew club. They have their own gear and meet up monthly to put on an all grain full mash brew and share skills. I've even volunteered to help out with the craft beer festival that is coming up in our local town next month. All of this is good for the social side of things as well as skill levels as it's easy to get a little isolated post FIRE if you are not careful.

I brought my fermenter on this sit so I'm going to put on my first wine kit today. Should it work it will reduce the cost of a bottle of wine from at least 4 euro to 1.20, which isn't a bad multiplier. I also intend on doing a version of the 1 minute wine, as well as country wines in due course. As well as beer.

Our life has changed a little with DW working away with the freelancing. She has been promoted and given a modest payrise in the first few weeks, but it looks as though this will come with an increased expectation of hours. We could do with the cash though, to be honest, given our lifestyle. If we plunked in the one spot our expenses would be lower, but we do like exploring and having a bit stashed away. It isn't like normal work though, in that it is remote and in a sense optional in that she could shut her computer and block her boss and the sky would't fall due to the way we are set up.

We intend on sitting less after our next sit in Belfast, and so I will be able to spend more time reducing costs with brewing etc (ha). We will continue to refine our efficiencies and reduce dependencies over time. I planted a few fruit trees and we are encouraging seedlings to grow as well....

DW's sister continues to serve as a reminder of what a catastrophic fuckup is. She's been unemployed for years (mid 30s). She was on the dole, then on a bullshit business grant (zero revenue in 3 years?), and is now looking at a 3 year part time, dole extending dietitians course even though she is as fat as a house and smokes like a chimney (and drinks like a fish). She is a no-good bludger, no more. I can't stand her, and I think the feeling is mutual.

She offered to pay for a night out in Dublin the other day. We would never spend money like that. How can she? Well, she dips into her trusting aunt's account every few weeks to top off her dole. We see that as we swap aussie dollars for euros out of it with similar frequency. If we aren't quick enough old sticky fingers, as I call her, empties it out.

We don't like seeing her but with the MIL around had her over last week. She rewarded us by drinking to excess and spewing in our bed. What a fucking disgrace.

Speaking of the cottage, we had our first AirBNB sit the other night. Proud moment for us as it was far from rentable when we bought it. Nice to get paid when housesitting, but I did find the cleaning a huge pain the arse and we did drive back to show them around which was also a bit of effort. I don't think AirBNB is really part of our future although we do have 2 more bookings before we scale back the housesitting.

That's all the news for now.

ps here's an email I sent my family and friends:

Did I tell you about the time I met the President of Ireland? We were at a 1916 commemoration in the beautiful town of Westport, Co. Mayo. I had heard that the President was coming the night before when at Matt Malloy's drinking a pint. Matt is the flue player for the Chieftains, and his pub is famous for open sessions where traditional instruments are played in a very relaxed and intimate setting.

Anyway, following the barman's advice we were there and waiting for the big man at 12.30. Although he's actually a little man. Trite to say, but leprechaun looking. If you don't believe me then google him. The big coincidence was that the one Irish person we know in Australia who is from Westport claimed that her great uncle had a bust outside the Catholic church as he did great things in 1916, which is sort of like Irish royalty. It turns out she wasn't lying, and the President mentioned this fella - Major John MacBride - more than any other because not only had be fought in the Boer War against the British, but he was shot by the English in retribution for his 1916 antics.

President Higgins surprised us. He was a firebrand. Fists raised. Switching between Irish and English. It was very impressive. He must have given 30 of these speeches this year, being the centenary and all, but instead of generic tripe or slogans he spoke of local people and local issues and meant every word.

Afterwards we made our way to Hotel Westport, where our friend's relatives were having a drink. On arrival I could see a sign for a 1916 function, and deduced that it was an official function for the descendants of the heroes and wondered if we would be able to sneak in as civvies. Disguising ourselves with pints, we did just that. I suggested to DW we split up and mingle for 10 minutes, and immediately looked around for the President, who I suspected would have made a showing for this illustrious crowd.

There he was. Surrounded by fans, all clamouring for a picture. I just stood to one side and watched, making no effort to get any closer having given up queues (or even worse, a lack of them) long ago.

You're the smartest person in here, a young lady said, much, I must admit, to my surprise.

Why's that?, I replied with false modesty, while slicking my hair back a little out of habit.

You're just relaxing drinking a pint, she said.

Well, I replied, there's no chance of me getting in there, while gesturing to his excellence and fan club.

Would you like a picture? She said. Did I. Turns out she was some sort of Presidential organiser.

She motioned to a door to the left, and whispered to me like I was Jason Bourne.

Through there....

I shuffled through the door, wondering if she was having a lend of me as she followed.

Put your pint down, she commanded.

Do you have anyone to take the picture?

I didn't. So she motioned to the official photographer who had appeared out of nowhere to take my phone.

Where are you from?

Brisbane.

She nodded appreciatively, and I thought, shit, she thinks I'm a direct descendant of a 1916 Irish hero who has flown over for this function from Brisbane, and I'm surely about to get my arse kicked.

It was then the Guard (read big policeman) came around the corner and looked right at me.

Just him, she said.

He's from Brisbane.

The Guard nodded just as the President himself came through the door and looked at both of us.

Just him, said the Guard.

He's from Brisbane.

The President came over, and I shook his hand.

President, I said, and we posed for the picture.

He turned away, and fulled by pints and the moment, I slapped the little man on the back, causing his hair to wobble.

Great speech by the way, I said before making a swift departure so that my camera wouldn't be confiscated and me thrown in prison for making false pretences of the worst kind in this very proud little country.

And that was how I met the President of Ireland....

Thecoalminerswife

Post by Thecoalminerswife »

Thanks for your honest, inspiring story. I'd love to be taking the chances you and your wife have, but my husband is much more reluctant. We're also Australians, he's working in the mining industry - being flogged. I plan to sit him down to read your blog next weekend. Hopefully, he'll gain confidence.

Did

Post by Did »

@cmw Thank you. Suggest you read Tim Ferrises fear setting exercise in the Four Hour work week. It helped me. Also put EVERYTHING on the table. If your husband had a heart attack and you had to stop work immediately what would you do? And if in the unlikely event it all turns to shit after a year of your new lifestyle, how hard would it be to return to the status quo? Ie get another nightmare job. Worst case is you have a well earned break. Let us know how you go and good luck.

Thecoalminerswife

Post by Thecoalminerswife »

Hi again Ex-lawyer. Thanks for your suggestions. I'm still working on it!! We had a fun hour or two last weekend reading out your ere blog while the coalminer cooked dinner. We both enjoyed it very much but he was fearful that you might not cope (financially) if you decide to have children. Nevertheless, he was impressed by your courage. We've been talking more realistically about his work/life imbalance. He seems to be understanding it more - certainly his mentor has been in his ear, as well. We will continue on the way we are for the near future, being mindful of spending and inching our way to our financial target. I'm continuing to read and think about how the non-work future might look. I've been using "sabbatical" rather than "retirement" when talking to him about it - less intimidating, I think :)

Did

Post by Did »

Ha yes good idea. Good lingo. How about just a year off work then return? Can he get extended leave without pay but keep the job? How hard would it be to get another job in 12 months? Can he work part time?

As for me, fear not. Worst case for me I get a job! But it's been three years and I can assure you it has not come to that. My wife is enjoying her remote gig, which is in addition to our other income. I'm learning how to brew - that's my big project for the next six months. I may be repeating myself but we now only pay 1.10 Euro for a bottle of wine as we make it ourselves. Beats earning forty Aussie and paying half in tax then spending the rest on oyster bay.

As for kids, as I said I could get a job if I signed up to 20 years of child care and needed more cash as a result. But we have too much fun to consider doing that. The siblings have kids and we can annoy them with our stories when we are old and feeble.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

For what it's worth. I estimate that the cost of children when you're FI is about 10% of what it costs when you're still working. For toddlers and babies anyway.

Edit: not to be pushy at all. I know how some parents always come across as: Eeeeeerhmageerd you HAVE to have kids, it's the BEST!
Fuck that. I merely wanted to state that children cost a lot of money when you don't have the time to raise them yourself and when you're patching up your bad conscience about your absence by buying them toys and weekend entertainment.

Did

Post by Did »

Thanks FB. I think if we did have kids - which we won't if we can help it - it would be more in my head than anything else. Ie I need to be responsible and all that crap.

Shicky

Post by Shicky »

Hi Did,

Just created an account to say hello, loved reading your journal, had me chuckling away at various points. Although I'm currently travelling in Portugal with my fiancé im from Belfast and should you ever venture up again, please give me a shout. You sound like a thoroughly interesting bloke and it'd be great to buy you a pint sometime!

Your account of house sitting has me reeling as I stumbled upon it just as I recently took a three month sabbatical,my missus was keen on Portugal as we were planning to wed here next year but I fancied a change of plan after seeing some stunning homes. Alas I'm paying 50euro a night to live in various shitholes....

Keep up the journaling mate, it's a great read

Did

Post by Did »

Thanks mate. Do give it a try.

Did

Post by Did »

A quick update.

Summer is almost over. I guess technically it is. The leaves are changing colour or dying. There is a crispness to the air that wasn't five weeks ago. Winter, as they say, is coming.

Nonetheless the weather remains pleasant. No complaints there. We were extremely pleased to see the last of our visitors: we entertained various guests for over 100 days over summer. It was way too much. At times I wondered how it had come to this. I guess it speaks to the lovely circumstance we find ourselves in that so many want to come so far for so long.

Next year they will not.

We celebrated our freedom with a stroll in our town: it's famous for its medieval streets. We were blissful really, until I slipped like a buffoon and broke my arm. What a bitch that was, and is. Our freedom was short lived.

Mentally I have naturally struggled with the discomfort and day to day life of being one armed. For the first couple of nights I could not sleep for the pain. A week in and things had improved until I jerked my arm when a large rat trap I was setting went off. It really is a two armed exercise. Yes, we have rats in the attic. I'm grateful they waited until we started sleeping downstairs to reveal themselves. Little fuckers.

I had a brainwave and asked my one client for unpaid work experience as a programmer. Radical change for a one time legal bigwig but I'm keen to improve my berry picking skills doing something that is transportable and useful. Anyway he has agreed and I'm quite excited about it, even though the technology isn't exactly trendy. I see it is a bridge to obtaining a skill set that facilitates vagabonding and remote working. I'm happy to take a long term approach with it.

My brewing has been on hold with the arm business. I have sixty something litres of beer and wine under my kitchen table that needs bottling.

With any luck the client will follow through with the work experience opportunity.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Learning to program, any language, is a good idea. The more languages you know, the easier it becomes to learn a new language.
Of course you can develop some malpractice like, say, writing FØRTRAN programs no matter what language you are working with, but that is somewhat besides the point.

If you have the inclination to do so, learning ANY language is good, even if it's not highly marketable right now. The ABILITY to learn programming languages, however, seems to be.

Have fun. It's all just legos in a serious context.

Did

Post by Did »

@fb Thanks! Enjoyed it as a young fella and it's just going to be a bit of fun now almost twenty yeArs later. If not I'll try something else.

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Programming is fun, and can help a lot as it is an in demand skill. Getting your feet wet again is a good start.

Did

Post by Did »

Thanks Cornerman. My work experience should start this week. Sleeping with a broken arm put my back in spasm, which was worse than the broken arm. I was in pretty terrible pain one way or the other for about a month. My back was so locked I couldn't move more than an inch after waking (eg to turn or try and get up). It was agony, as people with back experience can attest. Anyway thanks to drugs and time I think I'm on the mend now.

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Broken arm is nasty while sleeping, hope you will feel better soon. How is the work experience going ?

Did

Post by Did »

Thanks Cornerman. I am. Work experience was slow to start, but have had 2 sessions with main man on skype and spent Sunday doing some coding for the first time in lifetime getting used to syntax and concepts again. Implemented a beer stack to play with pointers and virtual functions.

ShriekingFeralHatred

Post by ShriekingFeralHatred »

blah
Last edited by ShriekingFeralHatred on Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Did

Post by Did »

Thanks SFH. Life's too short.

Just this morning I read this post from a fellow wanderer : http://www.hecktictravels.com/behind-th ... hen-cancer.