Investments Trade Log

Ask your investment, budget, and other money related questions here
bryan

Re: Investments Trade Log

Post by bryan »

I had just added CCJ to my watchlist yesterday, but didn't buy any at that time since it just seemed rather correlated with oil. Up 11.6% today. Oh well..

More stronger than expected earnings coming from $YELP. Nullified almost all my paper profits from that particular trade. I maintain my long term SELL rating.

Any good (bad) insurance companies (or companies hurt from insurance industry falling) to short?

$TSLA, $GOOGL have always been two companies I want to buy but can't bring myself to. For $GOOGL I don't think they are evil enough. Rather, I don't think it's in their DNA to profit off of all their user generated data (like a BlackRock would). Not to mention their complete failure to generate real profits from anything other than Google ads (and the stock decline that would happen if they began losing this market). Maybe $BIDU, $FB will do it..

Tempted to short $AAPL soon. Then again (1) Tim Cook is quite business-savvy (like how to protect monopolies), (2) maybe Cook and Co. are geniuses with their product pricing and will make buku bucks, (3) they are in the best position to bring trusted computing, real DRM to the masses which is quite a paradigm shift (and would make me want me to buy a lot of $AAPL).
Last edited by bryan on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

added to my watch list: AGN, RTN, STAG, TNK

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I know the S&P is down 9 days in a row, but percentage wise it's not down much at all. Why the panic?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

It's all about the Trumper in the land of speculation. Watch gold on Monday if he looks good over the weekend.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I heard Howe's take on how if Trump is elected there's probably a drop immediately whereas is Clinton is elected there might be a rally before the inevitable drop comes. Does anyone disagree with that? I dunno. I think maybe if Trump is elected and the world doesn't end within a day or two there might also be a rally.

What I dread is a vote so tight that it drags on for weeks during the recounts or accusations of hacking. That might cause turmoil and push off the rate hike.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

jennypenny wrote:I think maybe if Trump is elected and the world doesn't end within a day or two there might also be a rally.
Only if he can keep his mouth shut.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Yeah, what you would probably have is months of speculation up or down on whatever he says until he actually takes office and appoints a cabinet. It's not unlike what's going on with Brexit.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Looks like the Clinton rally is going to start a day early. Might add to gold.

I'm exhausted and there's still 54 coverage hours to go. I thought I'd get today off, but thanks to Comey no such luck.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I don't think gold will do well on a plus for Clinton in the next couple days. Only because the dollar is rallying. Maybe later, though.

Comey has turned "October surprise" into "November surprise". But I feel like he is already worried about his historical biography and was mad at subordinates who did not inform him early on about the Weiner-mails, and does not want to be blamed about who wins this election. The weirdness continues.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

LC stock up 18% after results beat. As a retail investor I have been confident that results would start beating eventually. I put some money in back in September. I would expect some nice gains over the next year.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

First open after the election and I am up 10 bucks at the start. Wasn't expecting that.

Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but is anyone investing in Medical Marijuana stocks?

bryan

Post by bryan »

Well I've made some bets now..

Buy CCJ, GE, VIS, ERUS, VWO, VEA.
Sell EBAY.
closed (was short) AA.

Not large amounts, but enough to satiate the need to do something today. Still plenty on the sidelines waiting for the big one.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Emerging markets are dropping steadily, another 6-7% and ill buy some more

Cornerman

Post by Cornerman »

Infamous wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but is anyone investing in Medical Marijuana stocks?
Bit of a gamble I reckon, mainly because of the possibility of Republicans destroying it , with Trump and all.

Chad

Post by Chad »

@Seppia
Yeah, I have shifted my new 401k money to be heavily weighted into EM funds since the pullback started.

bryan

Post by bryan »

buy TSLA, ILF, VPL,
sell RDSA
close (was short) FB

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Chad wrote:@Seppia
Yeah, I have shifted my new 401k money to be heavily weighted into EM funds since the pullback started.

Unfortunately it rebounded, and my limit order did not go through.

@bryan, can I ask you the thought process for buying tesla and selling royal Dutch?
RDSA has been my biggest holding since 2006 and I love them, I never sold once as I believe it's the best run energy company around.
Tesla, I would not touch with a 10ft pole, it's just a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion (in particular if the super shady solar city acquisition goes through)

bryan

Post by bryan »

on TSLA: mostly I've been wanting to invest in Elon for a long time now. It's recent slide feels like as good a time as any to buy in. Fundamentally they are innovating and scaling up rather nicely and it seems they have no problem with financing (and in fact have some interesting bond/carbon/energy credit synergy possibilities with the solar city acquisition). The only thing I'm a little hesitant on is Elon's desire to improve the world by keeping TSLA patents open for all to use.

on RDSA: taking my short term profit. Probably fine to keep on holding but I had bought them targeting short-term profits and am now wanting to make some contrarian trades with Trump being projected to win the election. I still own some CNQ.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Thanks for your reply Bryan.
I would be cautious with tesla, the solar city deal has massive amounts of red flags in my opinion
- musk has major stakes in both companies
- solar city is basically bankrupt: this seems like Musk (tesla owner) bailing out Musk (solar city owner) by using tesla stock
- solar city operates in a business where almost none of the players makes money
Plus
- Tesla hasn't made a dime yet, if for any reason the capital stops coming they are dead within months
- Tesla so far has met around zero deadlines it set for itself, and apparently a lot rests on them being able to meet their model 3 numbers and deadlines.

Add to all this the cult like following that this company has (I mean, how many people gave them $1000 for the privilege to own one of their vehicles sometime in the future, at an unspecified date? We are in worse than Apple territory here).

Not for me