Late Retirement Extreme? Early Lifestyle Extreme?

Favorite quotations, etc.
JamesR

Late Retirement Extreme? Early Lifestyle Extreme?

Post by JamesR »

http://torontolife.com/city/life/spend- ... manifesto/

TL;DR: Keep your cost of living low by living with your (presumably wealthy) parents. Spend the rest on experiences, of a sort.

Ego

Re: Late Retirement Extreme? Early Lifestyle Extreme?

Post by Ego »

I make $130,000 a year, and I spend the vast majority of it on experiences—wild, rare, unforgettable experiences. My guiding philosophy is that life is short and we should savour every moment.

Yes, life is short. Yes, we should savor (pft.... savour) every moment. Yes, it is good to create wild, rare, unforgettable experiences.

You know what's really fun..... doing it all at 1/20th the cost so that there is no need to work like a dog and live with the parents.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

I sorta interpret this as the opposite of ERE. His goal is to live like he's super rich, with all the trappings of luxury. Only he finances it by living off his parents instead of going into debt. It's a very fragile and hedonistic lifestyle with no sense of personal responsibility. I can't say I relate at all.

MZMpac

Post by MZMpac »

^ agreed.

DEPENDENT by definition. Could easily be taken away, plus I personally cant see much fulfillment in a pure spending lifestyle.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Wow. That's just sad. Definitely someone I wouldn't want to meet. Of course, I'm sure he would feel the same way about me.

Maybe he's not a vacant douche, who values experiences by their cash value and aspires to the envy of his audience. (I can't imagine he has friends, just an audience.) But he doesn't give anything in his post to contradict that image.

If he gets the complexion of an oompa loompa and a bad combover, maybe he'll be President, someday.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I've read that before. It's not pretty.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

He is pathetic but his parents are enablers. Making him get his own place to live may not stop his behavior but it would at least make him live in the real world. That is a disservice to their child.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

So this is what happens to the worst of the frat boys after graduation? No growth, just expansion?

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

Life is short, to each their own..some people are seduced by that stuff and some are not..depends on your life preferences. But most people on the board would have opposite preferences obviously. But good thing we have people in the world like that because if we didn't, would we have the same world markets to invest in? Would our dividends be less if there weren't people like that? Probably.

With the collection of experiences rationale though..I remember when I used to play golf competitively and I put all my plaques and trophies on the wall and on my dresser. After a while there was too many and it was getting cluttered and I felt embarassed about it so I put it all in a box and it is still there many years later in my parents basement. Do I think about it or look at them, hardly. But I do like to accomplish personal goals and pursue them that is what gives me the interest in life to keep going.

I think for people like us we want the immunity idol which is ERE, not to necessarily use the idol but to hold the idol is what gives us quality of life.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Asides from the cost of it all in reality I am sure with all of the excess he must feel like shit alot of the time. Working all the time, no sleep, drinking all the time, eating all the time. All that stuff takes a toll on your health and energy levels.
This is a superficial idea of fun. I actually get more fun out of eating light and a good time with my friends at the beach than slamming $200 bottles of wine.

Did

Post by Did »

There can be fun in debauchery there is no doubt about that. But where's the sex? That's the real puzzle.

And of course it's not really sustainable...

SilverElephant

Post by SilverElephant »

I've found that to people like the author of the OP's article, what he's doing feels like becoming an atheist, i.e. I've seen the light, chasing possessions is bad, experiences last forever, etc.

What it is is just embracing a different god. It's a concept I've found very difficult to get across to other people my age, in the all-too classic example of thinking inside the box, but in a new and wildly exciting corner.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Exactly -- this form of consumerism does function as a kind of watered-down religion, wherein "scarcity" is worshiped as a sacred talisman. The object/experience difference is actually fairly trivial -- almost anything can be imbued with the "scarcity" label, and that's what most of the marketing of "unique" or "once-in-a-lifetime" or "YOLO" objects or experiences is directed at.