Is the point of life just to avoid getting cancer?

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
7Wannabe5

Re: Is the point of life just to avoid getting cancer?

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

jennypenny said: Is it possible to distinguish between the small stuff that will do long term damage and the small stuff that will make the body more resilient?
You are trying to bring out the anti-fragile capabilities of your body, so the answer would likely most often be infrequent or irregular large doses, rather than frequent, small regular doses. For instance, if you aren't a regular drinker, occasionally getting very drunk can reset some of your brain systems, and maybe even knock you out of a state of depression. Unfortunately, although many of us would like to determine the perfect protocol, it might be the case that the imperfect, irregular protocol is best. For instance, the worst thing about the SAD might be how very standard it is. Maybe somebody should to an experiment in which they follow a completely different diet every week for a year, and see how that goes.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

7Wannabe5 wrote:Maybe somebody should to an experiment in which they follow a completely different diet every week for a year, and see how that goes.
what would be measured?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I don't know. I guess the same stuff that was measured in "Super-Size Me" and "Fat Head."

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I'm in agreement with Ego and Brute here. I find that most objections so far have followed along the lines of avoiding a perceived austere diet (or whatever noun you wish to substitute). This is the same exact objection people have with the ERE lifestyle. It is obvious that someone living an ERE lifestyle is not living a lesser quality life than someone following/pursuing the standard consumer lifestyle.

I think we may be experiencing a difference in Wheaton Levels here. As Jacob mentioned in another thread with regards to fitness, how does a couch potato realize what they're missing or how far out of shape they actually are compared to someone who excercises vigorously every day? I believe it's the same with food.

shade-tree

Post by shade-tree »

Ego wrote:I was gearing up, but then said to myself fuck it let the idiots eat whatever they want.
+1

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

thanimal said: I'm in agreement with Ego and Brute here. I find that most objections so far have followed along the lines of avoiding a perceived austere diet (or whatever noun you wish to substitute). This is the same exact objection people have with the ERE lifestyle. It is obvious that someone living an ERE lifestyle is not living a lesser quality life than someone following/pursuing the standard consumer lifestyle.
Well, it kind of depends on what you mean by austere, in terms of both ERE and Diet. There's a difference between choosing to not spend money on owning a car and choosing to never spend money on symphony tickets, and there is a difference between choosing to not eat Doritos and choosing to never eat Fresh Plum Napoleon. Because I have become so reflexively or semi-compulsively frugal over the years, I sometimes err on the side of not spending money in realms where the pleasure or the benefit truly would greatly outweigh the expense for me. Off the top of my head, two categories would be tickets for high quality live theatrical or musical performances, and well-crafted, expensive bras. If I were to blindly follow Jacob's lead in the realm of frugality, my budget in these two realms would be far less than optimal for ME.

In the realm of diet, I will frankly acknowledge that I err more on the side of sometimes eating the Doritos, and, therefore, not manifesting my own ideal behavior in the realm of food. However, because I understand that in any realm, blind allegiance to simple rules or formula is unlikely to prove optimal, I am not about to jump on anybody's Vegan or Paleo bandwagon. What I should do, because I can very well "afford" it, given my cooking and gardening skills, and plenitude of dining partners who have similar skills/resources and/or plenty of money to spend on any sort of food or dining experience, is place my standard at the level of the very highest quality possible, and I do not, and will never include raw kale whipped in a blender with vinegar tonic and peppermint extract, tofu cheesecake (I have been served this abomination countless times within my social circle. I also forbid tofu turkey, tofu hotdogs, or anything else tofu does not and will not ever truly resemble. Tofu is a delicious and nutritious food when prepared in many ways that honor both its unique texture and flavor. It should not serve as play-dough for Vegans.) with or without crust of bran, or a meal that consists of a cup of coffee doused with amino acid powder and butter and a side of Canadian bacon, in the realm of my standard. If you will all excuse me, I have just moved my copies of "How to Cook a Wolf", "The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book", "The Art of Simple Food", and "Stocking Up" to the top of my stacks, and I have some reading to do.

Ego

Post by Ego »

7Wannabe5 wrote:... and plenitude of dining partners who have similar skills/resources and/or plenty of money to spend on any sort of food or dining experience, is place my standard at the level of the very highest quality possible, and I do not, and will never include raw kale whipped in a blender with vinegar tonic and peppermint extract, tofu cheesecake (I have been served this abomination countless times within my social circle. I also forbid tofu turkey, tofu hotdogs, or anything else tofu does not and will not ever truly resemble. Tofu is a delicious and nutritious food when prepared in many ways that honor both its unique texture and flavor. It should not serve as play-dough for Vegans.) .....
It should not serve as play-dough for vegans. There you have it. McCarthy has spoken.

For someone who experiences pleasures and delights from things that are so outside the norm they are nearly impossible for most here to comprehend, you display a remarkable lack of curiosity and inflexible thinking with regard to the things others find pleasurable and delightful.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego said: It should not serve as play-dough for vegans. There you have it. McCarthy has spoken.
That was my faux blue-haired matron voice. My sister was cooking some tofu hotdogs for dinner just last night. She lived in Santa Cruz, California for many years. I lived or worked in Ann Arbor for most of my adult life. I get that it is part of the tribal food of your people for which you have sentimental attachment ;) Your people and my people are not so very different. IOW, I was just making the same sort of smart-azz comment I might make to my sister if she asked me if I wanted one of her tofu hotdogs. I actually very much like tempeh reubens, for instance, and there is a copy of "The Inspired Vegan" in my kitchen, and "The Moosewood Cookbook" is one of my most tattered and spattered volumes. However, sausages made out of pig meat simply taste much better than tofu hotdogs to me. BRUTE would tell me that the sausage hotdog is better for me. You would say the tofu hotdog is better for me. Since I don't know for sure which one of you is right, I will eat what I like best of all things.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ego wrote:I am not doing a very good job of communicating what I mean.

I get the feeling people think I am saying that they should continue past the point of diminishing returns on this graph...

I am not! Why? Because that graph does not represent how the world works. The world works like this....

Dragline's (80% Healthy Habits / 20% Unhealthy Habits) metric encourages people to stop at or before the point of diminishing marginal returns.
Not exactly, but maybe I can explain a little better using the graphs you provided. I think the graph misrepresents reality not due to the shape of its curve, but due to the illusory certainty of using a line, which implies a known and fixed causal relationship between the variables on the two axes that does not vary.

It reality, I think it would look more like a funnel of probability distribution, narrow on the left and getting very wide on the right but decisively capped on the high (positive outcome) end. What you cannot know is exactly where in the distribution your individual outcome will be, especially over long periods of time. At a certain point, the potential variation (random outcome) overwhelms the potential benefits and your longevity becomes more due to luck than to anything you did. Moreover, when I say "you cannot know", I mean that literally -- no matter how much data you have, you still cannot know because you are dealing with a complex adaptive system. (Believing that everything is knowable with enough data is a 18th/19th Century idea that is fundamental error in perception -- look up Laplace's Demon for more on that.)

A better illustration might be made by putting "healthy habits" on the x-axis and "actual longevity" on the y-axis with a similar funnel, which would similarly widen yet be decisively capped on the positive end.

I realize there are those that do not accept human limitations on the "high end" implied by the Gompertz mortality curve (listen to Dave Asprey on Bullet-Proof Radio for one, who believes he can live over 150 years using supplements and proper eating, etc.), but such longevity hypotheses are not supported by any data. Your probability of death still doubles every eight years and your individual binary outcome will be uncertain. But you'll make a nice data-point on someone's future mortality curve.

Here's something I wrote on this that is related and gives you a little more on Gompertz: http://www.prospectingmimeticfractals.c ... of-old-men

Consider the cognitive biases (from Thinking, Fast and Slow) towards aging discussed at the end -- we all like to deny that our positive outcomes are sometimes just lucky ones.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Dragline: Bravo! (On the math and science erudition. You might still want to choose to cut back on the whiskey habit. Dunno.)

So, you would agree that if a predominantly heterosexual female found herself single at 51, and wished to still find herself in sexual relationship of some previous standing, at the age of 85, polyamory would be, by far, her most rational choice of practice? Also, to what extent should she place weight on current health profile of potential partners in the 45-65 range? It seems to me that what you are suggesting is that choosing younger male partners in relatively poor health would be much better than choosing older male partners in relatively good health. This does not match my druthers, but I may attempt some change to my palate on the basis of your funnel graph.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Mrs. Ego teaches an optional healthy eating class that corresponds with the local food bank distribution. A few weeks ago she did one that revolved around the 4th of July barbecue. She arrived with all of the ingredients for the side dishes, desserts and healthy drinks but admitted to the class that she did not have time to prepare a healthy alternative for the main meal so she was just going to serve grilled hot-dogs. She begged them to not tell her boss.

At the end of class she followed up with a Q&A about the various ingredients then, as an afterthought, asked, "What kind of meat was in the hot dogs?" Most guessed beef or chicken though a few said turkey. None of them could believe they had eaten tofu dogs. Imagine how different it would have been had she told them in the beginning what they were about to eat.
theanimal wrote: I think we may be experiencing a difference in Wheaton Levels here. As Jacob mentioned in another thread with regards to fitness, how does a couch potato realize what they're missing or how far out of shape they actually are compared to someone who excercises vigorously every day? I believe it's the same with food.
Yes! The Wheaton levels for this example look something like this:

1) The person experiences a version of the hot-dog trick (substituting unhealthy foods with healthy alternatives) and realizes just how subjective pleasure and deliciousness are.

2) The person quietly attempts the hot-dog trick on others. Anyone who cooks food for others has probably done this.

3) The person regularly substitutes healthy alternatives and consciously tinkers with their own subjective definition of delicious.

4) The person begins to find the healthy alternatives more delicious and satisfying than the unhealthy alternative.

5) The person begins to dislike the unhealthy alternative.

6) The person no longer sees the unhealthy alternative as food.
Dragline wrote:I realize there are those that do not accept human limitations on the "high end" implied by the Gompertz mortality curve, but such longevity hypotheses are not supported by any data. Your probability of death still doubles every eight years and your individual binary outcome will be uncertain. But you'll make a nice data-point on someone's future mortality curve.
So we should just raise our hands in the air and let your fractal-god take the wheel? No thanks.

We do not control all risks but we DO influence some of them. You acknowledged that fact when you gave your pareto (80% healthy habits / 20% unhealthy habits) opinion.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Ego wrote: So we should just raise our hands in the air and let your fractal-god take the wheel? No thanks.

We do not control all of our risks but we DO influence them. You acknowledged that fact when you gave your pareto (80% healthy habits / 20% unhealthy habits) opinion.
As to the first, you don't really have a choice as to the fractal/complex nature of nature. Believing in outdated scientific reductionism that was discarded and overtaken by better explanations in the 20th Century does not change the reality of uncertainty, whether or not there is any deity involved. You are stuck with it regardless, whether you accept or deny it.

I never disputed the second point. But it begs the question of how far that influence runs and what other factors are at play. At some point the incremental effort yields no tangible benefit at all due to those other factors. Moreover, you probably can't even know what that point is for any given individual.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Dragline wrote:
Ego wrote: So we should just raise our hands in the air and let your fractal-god take the wheel? No thanks.

We do not control all of our risks but we DO influence them. You acknowledged that fact when you gave your pareto (80% healthy habits / 20% unhealthy habits) opinion.
As to the first, you don't really have a choice as to the fractal/complex nature of nature. Believing in outdated scientific reductionism that was discarded and overtaken by better explanations in the 20th Century does not change the reality of uncertainty, whether or not there is any deity involved. You are stuck with it regardless, whether you accept or deny it.

I never disputed the second point. But it begs the question of how far that influence runs and what other factors are at play. At some point the incremental effort yields no tangible benefit at all due to those other factors. Moreover, you probably can't even know what that point is for any given individual.
while not everything is knowable by humans, and there's a lot of variation and uncertainty in what works for individual humans, there are some pretty well known causations.

1)eating sugar above a (today considered minimal) amount is bad in almost every way for almost every human. there are some humans who can tolerate it really well, just like some humans are lifelong drinkers and don't have problems or lifelong smokers who never get lung cancer. but it's true for a significant part of the population. unlike smoking, it's really easy to see along the way if it's causing problems, humans don't have to eat sugar for 20 years and then see if they are obese or have high triglycerides or small particle VLDL. what sugar does is relatively gradual and linear, and up to a point, reversable.

2)it's a scientific fact that all carbs are just sugars chained together, and get turned into simple sugars somewhere in digestion. they all have the same effect, though with a modifier of x depending on the form and other cofactors. sugars ingested alone seem to spike insulin less than those ingested together with fat or fiber or in long chains ("whole grains").

tbh Dragline sounds like a "the science isn't out yet on smoking" proponent. yea, some humans never get lung cancer. yea, metaphysically, some things are unknowable. but that sugar's pretty damn bad for humans over a certain level is clear.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego said: Yes! The Wheaton levels for this example look something like this:
I hear tell Paul Wheaton and Sepp Holzer are pretty big fans of pork run on berry bramble and homemade pie ;)

I truly do attempt to be an open-minded person, so I decided to give tofu hotdogs another try. Since I do not believe that deliciousness is purely subjective in the sense of being learned solely through culture or experience, I gave some thought to why I might prefer a high quality meat hotdog to a high quality tofu dog, and it was a combination of texture, bite of the casing and the added taste appeal of the fat http://gizmodo.com/the-science-behind-w ... 1511695998 So, my sister and I pan-grilled some garden peppers and onion in olive oil with the tofu dogs for lunch. We steamed the buns, and topped them with avocado and mustard and some more finely chopped onion. My honest verdict remains that they are not nearly as tasty as a decent meat hotdog, such as a Koegel Vienna Beef. However, I would add the caveat that I generally choose to eat tofu stir fry much more often than I choose to eat any kind of hotdog. Black bean burritos, pasta with sauteed vegetables and cheese, and tofu stir fry were 3 of the dishes I cooked most often when I had to cook every night on a budget. Also, if I had to choose between limiting the cuisine I had to eat for the rest of my life to Vietnamese Vegan or Detroit Coney Island, I would choose Vietnamese Vegan. I just don't think that there is any strong rationale for choosing as hard and fast as you seem to be advocating.

I will also cop to the fact that my current practice sucks on any listing of Wheaton levels, but I think the reason I am in minor skirmish with you is that I can't stomach the big divide between being concerned about food at the level of Zone O, but not in the other zones. A tofu hotdog is a highly processed food. I have no clue how to start from soybeans growing in my perma-culture and end up with tofu hotdog. There is no way I would ever choose to go to that much trouble even if I love me some tofu hotdogs. I won't even choose to grow soybeans in the first place because they are a crappy choice compared to hundreds of other varieties of beans I might grow in their stead in my region. I am pretty sure that tofu hotdogs are made in factories by people working at a crappy factory job. I lived near an Eden tofu factory and it was pretty darn stinky. On my chart of Wheaton levels, tofu hotdogs would earn the same place of distinction as driving a Prius. What's the increased risk of cancer from breathing the air polluted by tractor and the truck driving from tofu field to the tofu dog factory to the air-conditioned grocery store with a load of tofu dogs vs. killing a fat little chicken you raised in your own backyard on worms and "weeds" and throwing it on the grill? I don't think telling more and more people to eat tofu dogs instead of Koegel Vienna Beef is the answer. I think rolling back the blanket of mystery that alienates us from our food supply at almost every level and thereby makes us wholly dependent on it, is the way forward. Please recall that the obesity epidemic about which you are so concerned is very highly correlated with women entering the work force in droves, and not so highly correlated with tons of healthy vegetables being served at the average American table in the mid 20th century. What has gone missing isn't so much knowledge about what constitutes an extremely healthy diet, but more the time, skill and leisure necessary to prepare even a moderately healthy meal. I greatly commend Mrs. Ego's efforts with the food bank clientele. I'm sure it is as frustrating at times as my attempts to teach inner-city immigrant children. Unfortunately, I think it may be the case that what would most improve the nutritional and other outcomes of these women and children would be having one parent at home to cook and care for them. The poor Bengali and Yemenese kids in my neighborhood eat far better at home than at school, but I must say they still very much like cupcakes and gummy worms and all the other sugary treats that are part of the traditional part of their family cultural diet. Some Bengali treats are too sweet even for the like of me ;)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yeah, the tofu dog is a terrible example. I never eat them. But I do eat mock chicken occasionally when it appears at Grocery Outlet. Green smoothies are a much better example.

Today we are eating something-tempeh and brown rice in the park. Our procedures with the picnic basket, the checkered cloth and real dishes has become more ornate. We've had a few Chinese tourists take our photo. :D

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Ego wrote:The Wheaton levels for this example look something like this:

1) The person experiences a version of the hot-dog trick (substituting unhealthy foods with healthy alternatives) and realizes just how subjective pleasure and deliciousness are.

2) The person quietly attempts the hot-dog trick on others. Anyone who cooks food for others has probably done this.

3) The person regularly substitutes healthy alternatives and consciously tinkers with their own subjective definition of delicious.

4) The person begins to find the healthy alternatives more delicious and satisfying than the unhealthy alternative.

5) The person begins to dislike the unhealthy alternative.

6) The person no longer sees the unhealthy alternative as food.
brute thinks this is a great list.

7) walking past a donut shop or bakery, with that offensive baking smell, makes the human gag involuntarily

8) when in a high-stress situation, instead of deviating from the diet, the human instead falls back on and finds comfort in the diet

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego said: Today we are eating something-tempeh and brown rice in the park. Our procedures with the picnic basket, the checkered cloth and real dishes has become more ornate. We've had a few Chinese tourists take our photo. :D
Picnic, Yay! The Peacemaker and I sometimes meet for picnic lunch in the park on our bikes. Everybody thinks we look so cute together because they don't know we are poly-amorous. I still don't understand why a green smoothie is better than a salad made with the same ingredients? I kind of think it is just another excuse for men to play with a device that has a strong motor and sharp blades.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
I hear tell Paul Wheaton and Sepp Holzer are pretty big fans of pork run on berry bramble and homemade pie ;)
Judging by their appearance...They may know some things about permaculture and designing systems, but it does not appear that translates over to health.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@theanimal: This quote is from one of Sepp Holzer's websites:
Environmental destruction, degradation farming, agro-chemical food, poor health, and "natural" disasters have become the norm. Our society operates under the perception that human beings and nature are separate. Human systems do not, and cannot, exist outside of natural systems.
Human health can't be measured by a metric reached at the conclusion of a collusion between the pharm/med industry and the agro/chem industries. A human being is an extremely complex system. So is a hog. So is a tree. So is the interaction of vectors we refer to as the weather.

Questions:

1)What would happen if you fertilized your garden tomatoes with a bag of sugar?

2) Why does jam stay edible longer than fresh fruit?

3)Why is there usually a large section of any drug store selling products that end with the suffixes "-conazole?"

4)Why did I bury logs in a huge heap on my vacant lot?

5) If you only consumed green matter, would your feces end up looking like the contents of a rookie compost pile?

Answers:

1) The sugar would tend towards depleting the nitrogen in the soil. This would tend towards limiting green, leafy growth and promoting fruit formation on the plants, if the soil was initially very nitrogen rich.

2) Bacteria thrive in an environment where the concentration of salt and sugar is the same or lower than the concentration within their cell. The high concentration of sugar in jam causes the bacteria to suffer osmotic dehydration. Mold growth is not inhibited under these conditions, but is generally much slower.

3) Same answer as 2

4) Almost the same answer as 1. Carbon is carbon.

5) Don't know. Do not care to run this experiment on myself, but if one of you would like to visit my lot, I will provide you with all the dandelion and chicory greens necessary gratis.

I've been gardening off-and-on for almost 30 years, but I recently realized that I knew next to nothing about soil. Realizing that I knew next to nothing about soil, caused me to realize that I know next to nothing about skin. Human beings are semi-permeable odd torus-shaped (some of us more so than others) entities, consisting of about 40 trillion cells with human DNA and 40 trillion cells with bacterial DNA. Most of the human DNA cells are red blood cells. There is a strict limit to our conscious gate-keeping ability, because there really is no gate.

It seems overly simplistic, but a pregnant human is like a fruit-bearing tomato. More carbon in the form of fat reserves are necessary for this energy intensive process. That is why waist-to-height or waist-to-hip measures are more accurate indicators of health in an adult human being than BMI. The best soil for spinach is not necessarily the best soil for tomatoes. Fat stored on the thighs and buttocks of a young adult human female is actually very much like logs buried in a hugel-bed which is being prepared for growing tomatoes. Fat stored on the belly of an older adult human male is more like a bag of sugar dumped on a bed meant for spinach production. If a human female is fed too much sugar and fat, too early, her percentage of body fat may signal early puberty, and continuing to consume fat and sugar at overly high levels may lead to early loss of fertility. The human brain is like some kind of big-azz monster heirloom tomato, during its early growth and formation much sugar is required. Therefore, human females tend towards greater storage of carbon in the form of fat on their hips than other primates, and the breast-milk of humans is naturally sweeter than that of other mammals. There is clear correlation between low waist-to-hip ratio of mother and IQ of child. Once a female goes through menopause and her hormonal profile become more like that of an old man, it is likely that her dietary intake should shift more towards high nitrogen (green and meaty) and low carbon (sugar) and the extent to which she would benefit from making this shift will be clearly manifested by the spread of her mid-section. OTOH, there is an argument to be made that the longevity benefits of any measure that could extend the phase of fertility in a human female would greatly outstrip the benefits of switching over to mimicking the behavior and practices that would be healthy for an aging male. According to one study I read, every year that menopause is delayed past the average of age 50 results in 1.7 years in increased longevity. To understand how relatively huge this factor can be, a BMI reduction from the overweight range into the healthy range achieved by losing 20 lbs of body mass only results in a 1 year increase in longevity on average for a middle-aged female.

The question, which in my opinion has yet to be well-researched due to the disgusting lack of regard for issues related to female health in particular (witness the continued licensing of the hysterectomy hacks), is whether it is possible to extend the fruiting phase of life for human females through means that are natural, inexpensive and not likely to lead to other, perhaps worse, health problems? That's why I'm kind of thinking that the Warrior Diet, subtitle "An Anti-Estrogenic Diet" might not be MY best choice. Maybe I should be heavy-hitting on the tofu,yams,apricots and whole milk yogurt, and not so much limiting myself to kale smoothie and/or beef. One thing I do know is that when "I" do hit it heavy on the yams and apricots, I do not crave dollar store cookies, but I do eventually develop strong cravings for dollar store cookies when I limit my diet to kale smoothies and beef. I think this is because I am not a male and/or a female who has increased her muscle/fat ratio to the level of the average healthy male.

Anyways, this is the science behind why I think that how attractive you look to the opposite sex is often a more accurate, because more complex, indication of your health, than your BMI. Slender and muscular signals youth. Smaller waist-to-hip or waist-to-shoulder ratios signal adulthood or fertility. Therefore, although personal taste varies for countless reasons, adult human beings generally find other adult human beings who are relatively slender, muscular and in possession of low waist-to-hip or waist-to-shoulder ratios most attractive, and these are also the metrics best associated with health. In fact, even the other variable factors, such as appearance of skin, eyes and hair, next best associated with sexual attraction are also very good complex indicators of health.

One thing I find amusing about Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" video, in which she celebrates the sometimes manifested preference for signals of fertility over signals of youth in the female form, is that the prep-dressed performer she is dancing around is an almost perfect model of a healthy male with relatively low testosterone. Relatively low testosterone at puberty will cause an adult male to have relatively more boyish or pretty facial features and a more uniformly slender or slight build. Females who are in early puberty, relatively low in their own testosterone levels, or in the low testosterone (less like being in heat) phase of their menstrual cycle exhibit preference for men with these more boyish features, but exhibit preference for men with an appearance more correlative with high testosterone when during periods when they are more fertile themselves. Thus, the billions of dollars generated by the "boy band" industry, and also the reason why I wish older men would continue to lift weights as well as run for exercise ;)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

is 7wannabe5 arguing that Wheaton looks healthy to her?