Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Where are you and where are you going?
JL13

Re: Pedal2Petal's post-ERE life

Post by JL13 »

Ydobon wrote:An interesting post and while I largely agree re. social capital, how is getting a rent reduction from relatives as the result of the application/creation of social capital?.
I'd like to add to this. I currently live in a space where I have about 30% rent reduction from a friend of a friend. He doesn't take the hit because it's a "gift", it's because I'm providing something else of value. Namely; low turnover and property maintenance. That $300 he would spend on vacancy, turnover, adn repairs. But because I take care of the place and pay rent on time (6 years now) he saves money and significant headaches.

I'm sure P2P's arrangement has similar benefits for the owners, regardless of relationship. Nepotism I'm sure isn't the only reason.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

7Wannabe5 wrote:Another way to look at why, or in what situations, social capital will increase in value relative to money is that you only need money to trade with people you don't know or trust.
YES! This is a huge concept. And I think there's a cost to this also! If you're entering into a transaction where there's not trust, you have to insure yourself against that. Consider for example, renting out a room or property on Airbnb. There's a risk that the tenants will damage your property. Surely Airbnb can cover you, after considerable headache and lost income during repairs, and then airbnb may have to consider litigation. These are all drags on transactions.

a lot of monetary transactions are subject to this hidden tax, so you're really paying for good/service + lack of trust premium. Trust premium being sort of a combination of agency cost and litigation costs. 2 trustworthy people transacting don't need to consider either!

I'm reminded about how Warren Buffet reiterates that he buys business with 2 pages documents without lawyers. The concept being that if you don't trust the person enough that you need a 100 page document, then you probably shouldn't be in business with the person.

This all ties back to P2P's "below market rent" - obviously his relates trust him to rent the room below market. Is this not really just the true rent price ex the 'lack of trust premium'? It's not a given that your relatives trust you not to destroy their stuff. I'm sure everyone on here has at lest one family member they wouldn't trust with anything of value!

Edit: Sorry to jack your journal P2P!

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

Absolutely nothing wrong with a bit of familial nepotism, I have certainly benefitted from it myself in the past.

I suppose my interpretation of social capital is perhaps a bit Jimmy Stewart - as something that you bank and then draw on in times of hardship. On reflection, it's perfectly sensible to think that you might 'spend it before you've earned it' in lots of situations. It gives me a whole new perspective on unsolicited gifts received from family members that made me feel guilty at the time! :)

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

Growing Calories

I'm growing as many potatoes as I can this year, party inspired by the main character of the book "The Martian" who has to grow potatoes on Mars to survive, and partly inspired by the book "Botany of Desire" which features potatoes as a world-changing crop for food availability. I put in the max potatoes I could in my 21 ft^2 garden, which was only a third of it. I didn't plant everything in potatoes because I want to rotate my crops to keep my soil fertility high long term. I maybe shouldn't have bothered as I probably wont have the community plot for long enough for nutrient depletion to affect me.

I am growing Yukon Gold, and a blue potato. They all came from local farm so they were not sprayed with "bud nip" or other chemicals that stunt shoot growth. They grow very strongly. I am also "hilling" them, adding more soil as they grow, then they will produce more potatoes from the buried stalk. I hill with pure compost, potatoes are very heavy feeders and need very rich soil. You can keep hilling them taller and taller, some people grow potatoes vertically, This article "claims" 100 pounds in 4 ft^2
I have total of 6 ft^2 in potatoes.

I am not even considering harvesting them now. For big potatoes, I think you have to harvest late in the year. I think you can leave potatoes in the ground until winter and they just get bigger.

I am excited about potatoes and growing my own caloric staple. I have even started practicing eating potatoes every single day to get used to cooking with them. They're best fried.

Food from the Forest

But it gets even easier than that, because salmonberries are at the height of ripeness right now. Strangely enough, I'm the only ones that cares. I've picked pounds of them already out of local forests and parks. Blackberry season is next, so I'll be picking all summer.

Keeping Expenses Zero

I'm with the kid now during the days so he has to come with me wherever I go. We use a bike trailer which has been amazing for cargo too. It's great having an excuse to use one of these.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Mars will come to fear my botany powers.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That's great about the potatoes. I'm growing some up here in the Arctic as well. I have a friend here who grows 375-450 lbs of potatoes each year, in a ~3 month growing season (2 that are frost free). He plants whole seed potatoes. There's a horticulturist at University of Alaska Fairbanks who studied the topic and found that every time you halved the potato it suffered 25% injury rate. You can plant with whole seed potatoes 2 weeks before the last frost, just cover your garden with clear plastic.

And yes, you can hold off on harvesting them until much later in the season. We don't take them out of the ground here until September, so I imagine you could keep them in until October or so down where you are. As the flowers start to bud you can pluck them so that the potato plant won't be wasting energy.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Funnily enough, potatoes are the only thing that are thriving in my patches at the moment, everything else is wilted by our summer heat or destroyed by pests (or rogue family members with weedwackers, grrr!). I planted my potatoes using the trench method and piled soil up from the center of the trenches. I haven't bothered to add extra soil though. For a month and a half there were no shoots, I then had a busy period and returned to the garden for the first time in a week and they had exploded, although they are not doing quite as well as yours. It's my first year with potatoes and glad I've planted them or else I'll have nothing to show for all the work I put into digging the ground this year.

I'll definitely be growing potatoes again in future.

I can't wait to have a kid so I can have an excuse to use one of those trailers to do shopping ;)

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Pedal2Petal wrote: I am growing Yukon Gold, and a blue potato. They all came from local farm so they were not sprayed with "bud nip" or other chemicals that stunt shoot growth. They grow very strongly. I am also "hilling" them, adding more soil as they grow, then they will produce more potatoes from the buried stalk. I hill with pure compost, potatoes are very heavy feeders and need very rich soil. You can keep hilling them taller and taller, some people grow potatoes vertically, This article "claims" 100 pounds in 4 ft^2
I have total of 6 ft^2 in potatoes.
Yukon gold variety of potatoes are determinate, setting their spud buds once, so repeated hillings are unlikely to produce more potatoes. I typically hill indeterminates twice, at every 4" of stalk growth, and then let them be. Harvest when the tops turn brown & fall over. Early red norland, the other variety I usually grow, are also determinate... however, I usually begin harvesting hill-by-hill on an as-needed basis after 2.5 months of growth for "new potatoes".

And I'm with animal, always planting whole potatoes. It's so damp and there's so much fungal growth here that I just don't take a chance on weakening what I plant.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

theanimal wrote: I have a friend here who grows 375-450 lbs of potatoes each year, in a ~3 month growing season (2 that are frost free). He plants whole seed potatoes. There's a horticulturist at University of Alaska Fairbanks who studied the topic and found that every time you halved the potato it suffered 25% injury rate. You can plant with whole seed potatoes 2 weeks before the last frost, just cover your garden with clear plastic.

That's some seriously useful info. I did plant whole seed potatoes, because I had a 30 pound supply of seed potatoes and didn't have to be stingy with them. How big a plot does your friend put into potatoes each year?

Apparently if you let Yukon Gold get too big, it starts to develop a hollow inside. I saw it once or twice in my yukon gold potato supply. I'll have to keep that it mind.
vexed87 wrote:I can't wait to have a kid so I can have an excuse to use one of those trailers to do shopping ;)
I used to use a landscaper's trailer, but it was in the sort of city where that sort of thing is normal. But if you are ERE you are probably ok being "the eccentric one."

George the original one wrote: Yukon gold variety of potatoes are determinate, setting their spud buds once, so repeated hillings are unlikely to produce more potatoes. I typically hill indeterminates twice, at every 4" of stalk growth, and then let them be. Harvest when the tops turn brown & fall over. Early red norland, the other variety I usually grow, are also determinate... however, I usually begin harvesting hill-by-hill on an as-needed basis after 2.5 months of growth for "new potatoes".
Another super useful fact that my potato mentor never told me. Can you tell me some indeterminate varieties I can try?

I did dig out a few potatoes today, and I noticed I had to dig very far down to find them. In other words, spud buds were only set once when the ground was much shallower, just like you said. I wonder how early on in the growth phase those buds are set, if it's 40 days after planting, early hilling might still have an effect.

Here are the 3 potatoes I dug out today, I just used a trowel to explore the outer edges of my patch. The two on the right are russets from the store, for size comparison.

Looking Back at 6 months of Kettlebells

I've not mentioned these before, but I started kettlebells in January. My legs are ripped from a lifetime of cycling, but I've never found a way to integrate upper body strength training into my routine. Kettlebells changed that. Having weights at hand at all times means it's simple to use them throughout the day. I've lifted every day since January and have had tremendous results. I was shocked when I weighed myself to find I had gained 25 pounds of muscle and fat. They also helped to eliminate my back and wrist pain. I've gotten strong enough to upgrade from a 35 pound kettlebell to a 54 pound kettlebell.

Now that I'm familiar with kettlebells, I do many of the same exercises with dumb bells when I'm out of town. Dumbbells aren't quite as versatile but their weight can be upgraded much more cheaply. If I had to do it all over again, I would consider dumbbells seriously, but probably still get kettlebells in the end ;)
Last edited by Pedal2Petal on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

From my Jan 9 2016 post in the garden journal:

Useful pamphlet about potatoes in general and potato towers specifically:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/s ... _cwise.pdf

And one man's first-time experience with a potato tower:
http://sinfonians-garden.blogspot.com/p ... -bins.html
Best advice from there, apart from selecting proper varieties, is to be vigilant and cover shoots after 4" of growth. 25:1 production is pretty good! He also has some storage advice.

I've got space and will mostly grow mine in rows, but I'd like to try a potato tower or two as an experiment.

Finally, a note for southerners on why potato towers likely aren't a good solution in that part of the country:
http://www.thegardenacademy.com/Great_P ... _Hoax.html

JL13

Post by JL13 »

That's inspiring re: kettlebells. My situation is similar, I've always had big legs from skateboarding then running then cycling, but my arms have always been Nintendo-skinny. What is your typical routine with them?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Pedal2Petal wrote: That's some seriously useful info. I did plant whole seed potatoes, because I had a 30 pound supply of seed potatoes and didn't have to be stingy with them. How big a plot does your friend put into potatoes each year?

Apparently if you let Yukon Gold get too big, it starts to develop a hollow inside. I saw it once or twice in my yukon gold potato supply. I'll have to keep that it mind.)
He has a fairly large plot. I think something like 30 ft by 30 ft.

I don't really have knowledge about what happens when YGs get too big. I don't think that's too much of a problem up here. At least not yet..

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

George the original one wrote:From my Jan 9 2016 post in the garden journal:
Useful pamphlet about potatoes in general and potato towers specifically:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/s ... _cwise.pdf
Great links, I've actually printed out 2nd page of the Oregon state one for my own reference in my crop journal.
JL13 wrote:That's inspiring re: kettlebells. My situation is similar, I've always had big legs from skateboarding then running then cycling, but my arms have always been Nintendo-skinny. What is your typical routine with them?
I knew it was important to start super simple. One or two main exercises, not trying to be good at kettlebells overnight.

At first I bought a 16kg kettlebell, usually recommended for males of ok fitness and minimal prior weight training. It's a good weight and my first routine left me very sore for a week. Soreness never returned after that. I got really nice kettlebells. They are "competition style" which means they are all exactly the same size. The handles are steel with a super nice finish. They're never hard on the hands. At my shop they were on sale and barely cost more than the cheap cast iron ones.

For moves I downloaded this app, just so I could watch video of a guy doing the moves. Then I got rid of the leg exercises because I don't need that shit and it sounds like you don't either. No day is leg day. I also got rid of the "simpler" exercises like the very popular kettlebell swing, because I'm looking more for something that exercises everything all at once.

So the moves I was left with are:

Kettlebell Clean and Press

I'm no kettlebell expert, but if I could only do one exercise, it would be this. It's a multi-stage exercise, and you feel it everywhere. I do one side until I'm to tired to continue "presses" over my head, then I do the other side. More sets throughout the day as I feel like it.

I like to only do 6-8 presses. Once it was too easy and I could do them indefinitely, I upgraded to a much bigger kettlebell. I want to move in 8 kilo increments like the original russian standard kettlebells do. No quarter-poods for me.

I also now do the 2-hand variant of the clean and press, now that I have 2 nice heavy bells. This gets you sweating and struggling much quicker than the 1-hand variant. I still switch the heavier bell between left and right hand.

Kettlebell Swing and Punch?

I really don't know what this one is called but it's in the app and I like it. Maybe someone can remind me what it's called. You start with a kettlebell swing, then cock the bell back with your arm fully bent and parallel with the floor, before punching forward and leading into the end of the swing.

Kettlebell High Pull

This one's great because I can do it sitting down while watching youtube or something. Unlike the lady in the picture I pull all the way up over my head. So let's call it a Kettlebell Super High Pull.

Kettlebell Swing

I still do this one sometimes, but it's not my favorite. I probably just have bad form, but it seems to be the only one that makes my back sore. Many other kettlebell tricks are based on it, so you gotta know it regardless of whether you like it or not.

Total Time Commitment

I spend relatively very little time lifting, probably less than 10 minutes a day. But I am extremely consistent and have worked out daily with very few exceptions since January when I started. I consciously try to keep my daily routine as short as possible, by using tricks such as "it's never leg day" and "of course I don't stretch."

The kettlebells sit on my stairs landing, by the way. So they are staring at me constantly, when I enter or leave my house, or even go into the kitchen. So my advice is to never let them go "out of sight and out of mind".

The only figures I've measured myself for are weight and body fat. I've hovered between 165 lb and 170 lb with ~11% BF since I was 16. Now all of a sudden I am 190 lb and closer to 15% BF. 190 may sound high but I'm 6'2" so still not overweight according to BMI charts. I've also made a conscious effort to eat more, this is important (see my previous idea about lard fried potatoes ;).) It's not too hard to eat extra because all the extra working out will make you hungry. You just need access to food that is actually filling and not junk.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

In a previous post I said I wasn't even thinking about harvesting potatoes yet. Turns out I was wrong. Yukon Gold variety is ready really quick, so if I leave it in the ground longer, I'm wasting growing season. So I pulled out all my Yukons and left the Russian Blues which are a longer season potato.

Then I transplanted Nicola right away. I hope to get a second harvest, then maybe a third through winter. Or maybe I'll do garlic instead.

I put a video up for the harvest, replanting and weighing, which I'll link to the image below.

Eating Potatoes Every Day

Here's how I prepare potatoes. If you grow your own potatoes, you can make this meal for free every single day. Theoretically, that means you could cut your food budget by a third.

I bake potatoes beforehand and keep them in the fridge. Five pounds at a time. If you don't bake them first, they take much longer to fry up. We're trying to conserve on time here too, folks, not just money. Then each morning I take 2 or 3 potatoes out of the drawer and slice them. Thinner slices make a crispier potato.

I fry in lots of lard or tallow. 2 or 3 tablespoons and sometimes that's not even enough. The magic calorie doubler. I make the tallow myself out of huge slabs of fat I get free from the Safeway butcher. I have an entire website post about finding fat and making lard,see it here.

I used to fill the whole frying pan once, but now I fill it twice and feed the kid too. I keep the stove on medium or lower and only flip once.

Right out of the pan, I shake a specialized spice mix on the potatoes. I make the mix myself, it's onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and dried thyme. I put ketchup on the side.

To round it out, I have a big glass of milk and fry two eggs with the residual heat on the skillet. The eggs are free most of the time, I get the cracked eggs from my parents' farm once a month or so.

Ok here's to growing way more potatoes than it's responsible to do so in a community garden plot Image

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

On the Waitlist for 7 Months

Pages back, I mentioned we are trying to get into a co-op. Co-op rents are priced at about half the average $ per square foot. They keep getting cheaper the more space you have too, so they are the best option for families in the city. A recent article showed that rents for Vancouver are between $1.80 and $2.80 per square foot, per month. And at the new co-op we were just accepted to, we are paying $1.00 per square foot.

The lady who lived there before needed more space because her millennial children had both moved back home. I took a picture of where they keep the millenials.

The mother is a single mother. She actually seemed really happy that her kids were living with her again. Willing to move for them so they didn't have to share a bunk bed. As everyone gets poorer, I think more and more people out there are making multi-generational housing great again.

BIG ASS BARAGA

It's a 5km bike ride down the hill from the co-op to the biggest community garden plots in western Canada. Our new apartment is 960 square feet, but these allotment gardens are 1000 square feet each- and there's over 400 of them. 100$/year for all the land you really need. It's called BARAGA, and you can see it from the airplane coming in to our airport.

I've been surprised by how well co-ops keep everything up to date. Everywhere we've seen so far, major updates have happened in the last year. A full new kitchen, a new roof, new building facade, new fences, new flooring, new new new. These buildings are some of the most well cared for places I've ever seen in this moldy city.

Our rent will actually be going down compared to living with my in-laws, although utilities are extra.

And we even get a fucking parking stall.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

The Gardens Update

It’s only been two weeks since we moved in, but I’ve already been put in charge of designing community gardens at our co-op. I have a 7k Canadian peso budget and a copy of sketchup at my disposal.

After a few iterations, I have this.

If I get my way,it will also have 3 oversized compost bins, a perennial food forest and a bench.

I came up with a method to design for the sun. In food gardening, sun hours is critical. Without sun, you can't grow anything with calories in it.

Every hour on the hour, I took pictures of the area. Here it is at 11 AM.

And here it is at 2 PM.

By counting hours of sunlight in various places, I know what can grow where. I only put beds in the areas with a minimum of four hours.

Unfortunately, that’s still very little sunlight to work with. With the four and a half hours of sun we get on this part of the property. We can grow Broccoli, Peas, Beets and anything that’s a leaf – kale, salad and other rabbit food..
Most people want a garden to grow tomatoes. And for tomatoes, six hours is bare minimum, and really you need eight for adequate results.

And Speaking of Tomatoes…

I picked fourteen pounds of them so far off my single plant. A friend tells me that is exceedingly high but correct the record if you know better.

This is a picture of the first ones to ripen, also the biggest. Bike for scale.

I’ve had to rip out the plant, because it’s now been 100% shaded out by the potatoes. It’s an tiny plant with a giant root ball. I’ll grow this variety again for sure.

Irrigation Automation

I’ve also built these.

There’s 2 things I like about sub irrigated planters. One, you never have to water them. And two, you never have to water them. If you irrigate by hand, you can never scale up. And I intend to scale up.

The “Established” Garden

Although I’ve moved to a different part of the city, my old garden in the northern mountains will remain mine. Because once you win land, you must never relinquish control.

The garden has moved from permaculture zone 2 to permaculture zone 6. This will dictate what I grow, since I can only get out there to water, plant and harvest once a week at best, and once a month at worst.

Yesterday I snapped a picture of the garden exploding in potatoes.

Josué

Post by Josué »

That's some cool planning you did there for the garden :)
Without sun, you can't grow anything with calories in it.
Interesting, I had never seen it this way. How many hours of sun do you need for leafy stuff like spinach?

Not that I expect anyone to be impressed but I'm quite proud of my first batch of balcony cherry tomatoes:

:)

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

Josué wrote:Interesting, I had never seen it this way. How many hours of sun do you need for leafy stuff like spinach?
Spinach has no calories, so it needs very little light. I have a chart of low light plants on this page that shows spinach as needing three to four hours of light.

Pedal2Petal

Post by Pedal2Petal »

A Craigslist Venture

I've been taking the first steps into a home-based Craigslist selling business.

It's bothered me for the past few years, that all my income is too removed from the reality of my life. My money flows in through a pipe between the US and Canadian economy, but what if something happens to the pipe? Or the companies on the other side of that pipe? Or the governments over here and over there?

I'll consider myself more secure in my position if I can build a money generator over here, to supplement the one over there.

More money coming in will also help secure my goal of owning land, sooner.

Since it's my mission in life to produce the maximum possible with the barest minimum of input, I’ll be creating my Craigslist products using almost exclusively free inputs. Here’s a few of my products so far that I am trying.

Battery Banks

I’ve found a use for the 120+ lithium batteries I salvaged earlier in the year. My cost for each recovered cell in $0.90. Thrown into a $1.15 battery housing, and I have attractive, usable power banks at about 2 bucks a pop. I can sell at $20 and be the cheapest guy on Craigslist.

The ads are all up for these but I haven’t sold any yet. It’s possible I’m still charging too much, or the market is saturated. I’ll also experiment with my messaging. I’d rather not stoop to overpromising milliamp hours which is what my “competition” on craigslist is doing.

Jerusalem Artichokes

An extremely productive crop that has a much higher selling price than potatoes. Typical prices at seed companies are 20$ for 6 or 7 tubers. If I can corner the market on these tubers in my city, it should represent a nice little cashflow with very little effort.

Red Wriggler Compost Worms

I paid 25$ for a half pound of these worms. These creatures have a doubling time of mere days. Therefor as long as I can supply them with enough biomass to support their exploding population, I can create money out of food waste just as fast.

My plan is to create “compost worm kits” with a 5 gallon bucket and sell those. I could probably ask 30$-40$ each. Total cost should be zero as long as I can keep getting my buckets for free.

With any of the above ideas, I’m prepared to create a website to sell the products through targeted to my area. Craigslist is more of a way to market test. I’ll also be able to mail everything out economically if needed.

Bonus Idea – 5 Gallon Buckets

The number of purchase requests I get for 5 gallon buckets is ludicrous. If my price was low enough I could probably sell tens of thousands a year. But I don’t have a local readership on my site, so I’d have to ship nationwide. This is above my weight class at the moment but I might ask a few developer friends I have if they would be willing to take it on.