List your top three to fiveish typical dinner menus

Simple living, extreme early retirement, becoming and being wealthy, wisdom, praxis, personal growth,...
Ego

Re: List your top three to fiveish typical dinner menus

Post by Ego »

With all the hoopla about cultured meat I thought I'd post a simple meal made with one of our favorite meatless meats.

Beyond Chicken Fajitas

Chop it up, stir fry with a little liquid to avoid sticking, season, eat.....

Beyond meat usually has a $1 off coupon floating around which brings the price down to about $4 a package. Since it does not reduce like chicken breast, that's the equivalent of about $4 a pound. Not bad.

GandK

Post by GandK »

theanimal wrote:@vexed- I've been vegan 95% of the time for the past 3 years. Whenever I consume any dairy products, I become have excessive gas. I believe I am lactose intolerant. The case may be the same with your friend. Dairy is the worst.
I became lactose intolerant when I lived in Hawaii. Most of their dairy (at least in the early 90's) was locally produced, and it tasted funky to me. Maybe because the cows were eating volcanic grass or something... I don't know. So for the better part of four years I ate no dairy, and my body got used to that. Then I moved back to Kentucky and returned to my old eating habits, and my body rebelled. Big time. I'm pretty sure it stopped producing the enzymes because it believed they were no longer needed.

I find that I can eat soft cheeses and some yogurts in moderation if I eat them with other foods, especially dense grains. But I can never eat them alone, and I still can't handle milk and ice cream after 20 years.

Matty

Post by Matty »

I generally batch cook chilli con carne once a month and make around 20 servings of ~1000 calories each. It makes a good hearty meal. My basic recipie is to aim for a 1:1:1:1 ratio of beef mince, kidney beans, red lentils and brown rice. Plus tomatoes, spices, onions, garlic, butter and whatever other vegetables are cheap or from the garden.

My other go to meal is to make some scrambled eggs. I generally crack 4-6 eggs in a fry pan, add whatever vegetables are cheap or from the garden, some grated cheese, butter/olive oil and mix it together while cooking. Takes 5-10 minutes to make. I prefer scrmbled eggs over an omlette because it cooks faster and I don't have to worry about flipping!

When I feel like making something fancier I will generally cook a curry of some variety with rice and freshly made garlic naan.

My go to lazy meals are peanut butter on toast with a glass of milk or a bowl of muesli with some fresh fruit. Both meals take 2 minutes.

akratic

Post by akratic »

1) brown rice, black beans, stir-fried chicken, onions, bell pepper, sriracha
2) fajitas with beef, onions, bell peppers, avocado, and wraps
3) soup consisting of spicy sausage, sweet potatoes and lentils
4) sweet potato fries, pulled pork from pressure cooker
5) jambalaya

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

We had some black lentils tonight that claimed on the package they were the "caviar of lentils".

Told DW we were living far too high on the hog.

But perhaps there is paradox of the black lentil that we do not yet fully comprehend . . . :lol:

llorona

Post by llorona »

Ego wrote:With all the hoopla about cultured meat...
Sorry to derail the thread but that is SO disgusting. If that stuff goes mainstream, I will never touch meat again. Blech.

brighteye

Post by brighteye »

- A very tipical dinner in Switzerland (it's called café complet) is bread, butter, cheese, cold cuts/dry-cured meat, jam, pickles and vegetables like tomatoes or cucumber. With coffee, a glass of milk or tea. Whatever you like or have at hand. We always have bread/crackers, butter, cheese and jam in the house and eat it around 3 times or even more per week for dinner
- vegetable soup with lots of full fat cream
- beef stew with potatoes
- chili con carne with sour cream
- chicken thai curry with rice
- risotto with mushrooms

Ydobon

Post by Ydobon »

@brighteye - we'll be trying that tonight, sort of like a continental breakfast for dinner. A good way to use up odds and ends without doing any real cooking.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Bulgar salad with steamed kale, broccoli, orange pepper, and tomato. Seasoned with vinegar, olive oil, a little rosemary and sage, and a pinch of salt. I boiled the bulgar for a few minutes in the morning then shut off the flame and left the lid on. Served chilled. Good and chewy. Cost about 50 cents for a heaping serving.

tylerrr

Post by tylerrr »

theanimal wrote:I don't have much variety most of the year. For the past few months I have eaten some variety of the following almost every day:

-Raw oats, raisins, walnuts, slivered almonds, cinnamon, honey and cold water
you mix this up in a cup or bowl? I might have to try this one.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

tylerrr wrote:
theanimal wrote:I don't have much variety most of the year. For the past few months I have eaten some variety of the following almost every day:

-Raw oats, raisins, walnuts, slivered almonds, cinnamon, honey and cold water
you mix this up in a cup or bowl? I might have to try this one.
Yes, in a bowl. I recently switched to using hot water (instead of cold) but still not cooked. It's one of my favorite meals.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Lots of great ideas in this thread!

1) Red lentil curry, saffron rice, salad
2) Refried black bean tostadas garnished with some variation of lettuce, tomato, avocado, cilantro, etc.
3) Fried eggs, oatmeal, seasonal vegetables
4) Fried eggs, "Indian-spiced" potatoes (diced and pan-fried)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

1)pork steak, fried in coconut oil and butter, cream in the gravy butter for sauce, vegetables for taste (today: none)

Ego

Post by Ego »

Roasted red pepper, brussels sprouts, button mushrooms, broccoli and tomato with Gardein Beefless Strips and corn tortillas.

The Gardein products have been showing up at Grocery Outlet lately for $2.99 a pack.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@Ego--How do you season that?

I can't find any meat substitute products that are gluten free. :(

Ego

Post by Ego »

A little olive oil, garlic salt, chili flakes, pepper (lots!) and a little turmeric.

Yeah, a lot of the fake meats use gluten as the base.

Beyond Meat has some
http://beyondmeat.com/recipes/view/glut ... E7m3PnF-3I

Actually here are a bunch of options....
http://www.peta.org/living/food/guide-s ... less-meat/

Ego

Post by Ego »

Twelve bean whole wheat penne salad or Teamwork Salad

Mrs. Ego soaked the 12 bean mix last night and boiled them this morning then put them in the fridge. I cooked the penne this afternoon then rinsed it under cold water. I chopped a Tortarello Abruzzo, some purple cabbage, a tomato (all leftovers from her health-eating class) and seasoned. Topped with yeast flakes.

Ego

Post by Ego »

jennypenny wrote:I can't find any meat substitute products that are gluten free. :(
Beyond Meat started selling Beyond Burgers over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfEFfwzRmo

http://beyondmeat.com/whats-new/view/th ... -of-burger

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Tarka dal
Falafel
Vegetable sauce and pasta
Hot dogs
Carbonara with leftovers from hot dogs :lol:

Ego

Post by Ego »

Baked tofu with snap peas, galanga, button mushrooms, purple cabbage, garlic, green onions and kale on a bed of brown rice cellophane noodles.

This is the first time I tried galanga.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galangal

It has a strong flavor like ginger but with a strange fragrant taste that reminds me of Vicks vapor rub. Fortunately I only put in a few slivers.

The brown rice noodles are one of those things that are in stock for a few weeks at our Asian grocery then disappear for six months, so whenever I see them I buy a bunch.