ERE products

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
Surio

Post by Surio »

Ok. One more time to see if the thread does move up. Moderators. Very sorry. Please delete this one too when you can :-|

BennKar

Post by BennKar »

@HSpencer: I like the emphasis on old time USA made items. I collect old metal toy trains from when they were made in the USA (when I can get them cheap), but moreover I like to get very beat up old trains and refinish them in my own personal designs. As for tools, most of mine are new, but I have inherited some old hand tools and use them on occassion. I don't have any old furniture, but I think like others on here, I too have made my own out of solid oak. They cost more upfront than the cheap stuff in WalMarts, but the looks and endurance were well worth the extra cost. Plus I haven't had to buy new furniture for over 10 years, and everything is still very solid and should last many more years.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@BennKar
I highly agree. Some of the circa 1920-1960 toys such as the Radio Flyer wagon, the trains, bicycles, almost any metal toys, are becoming priceless to some degree. In handling these items the quality just jumps out at you. The colors, if original are warm and pleasing, and you just can see a better time to have lived through them.

Now that I am retired, I visit a lot of flea markets and swap shops. I try to avoid the ones that are schooled on this stuff, and instead I look usually outside in the junk piles for some rusted up metal objects. Many people or maybe most would not pick something that is rusted or shabby, but therein can lie the real treasures. I avoid all flea markets and swap shops that have a library of "Antiques Price Guides" sitting on the counter, because you pay top dollar in those places. You can do well at estate sales, unless the auctioneer is picky and too knowledge-wise on things. If he is, you might as well go elsewhere. Too many shops these days are aware of the "nostalgia" items and price them accordingly.

DividendGuy

Post by DividendGuy »

I don't know if this counts or not, but I did purchase a laser hair removal package a little over 3 years ago to rid myself of the hair on my head and face. I figured it would pay itself many times over in the form of reduced or eliminated expenses on shaving gear. It didn't quite work out the way I planned, as I get slight hair buildup and a peach-fuzz type growth which has to be shaved daily. It was a nice try though.

halcyon

Post by halcyon »

Here's an interesting one which I thought I would ask here: pillows. My wife has been having some serious neck pain these last couple of nights and she attributes it to our old and sad pillows, which I also think is the cause. Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality, durable pillow?
I figured if anyone did, it would be this forum :)

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

halcyon, I use a memory foam pillow that has an egg carton type pattern on one side and a smooth pillow-like hump on the other. It's lasted years and it's the only pillow I've tried that doesn't go flat very fast.
I generally sleep on my side (to prevent snoring, which annoys my wife for some reason) and use the short end of the pillow. If I wake up because the pillow has compressed a bit too much or it's a bit too warm, I just turn it around to the other side which is cool and plump.
I've also found that placing a pillow between my knees removes all stress from the hip joints. This is more important, the older you get.

mrsHalcyon

Post by mrsHalcyon »

Robert,

That's kinda what I was thinking! I thought I would look for a memory foam pillow at wal-mart, but I want to buy ONE that lasts me a long time.
I often sleep on one side or the other and ALWAYS have a pillow between my legs to align my back. I've done that more and more since a car accident.
Hmmm sleeping on your side helps snoring?? Halcyon... maybe you ought to check that out! :-P

Robert Muir

Post by Robert Muir »

Yeah, there are two down-sides. 1) Memory foam pillows aren't cheap. 2) You may have to try a couple different models to find one that's right for you. So only buy one at a time and if it doesn't work for one person, the other can try it.
On the plus side, when you find the right one, it lasts a long time!

murpheyw

Post by murpheyw »

My 1996 honda civic bought new.
It had over 260,000 miles when I sold it after reaching ERE a few months ago. We consensed down from 3 cars to 2. (Wife and I have one now, and my son has the other car)
Other than general preventative maintenance such as oil/filter changes, it had 2 rusted out mufflers and a rusted out radiator. I also decided to swap out the original clutch at around 200,000 miles and the mechanic could not believe it still has great wear on it.
I have a 2006 honda civic and I bet it doesn't last as long as the 1996 model. Sometimes I wonder if letting it go was the best decision.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS »

One of the best investments that we made was an energy renovation under Canada's EcoEnergy Audit program about 4 years ago. By spending about $7,000 on replacing our old gas furnace with a 94% efficient one, having insulation blown into the walls (previously uninsulated) and the attic (was already partially insulated), and sealing most of our trim, we earned back $1700 in rebates, improved our Blower-Door test score from a 60-ish to 78, and cut about a third off of our electrical and gas utility bills.

sky

Post by sky »

Presto 4 qt stainless steel pressure cooker