Fitbit One and Whitings Scale

Health, Fitness, Food, Insurance, Longevity, Diets,...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Fitbit One and Withings scale

Post by jacob »

If there are steps when you're riding a bike, you're doing it wrong. But I see where you're going with this ... tie it around your ankle. You can also just register the biking as an activity and get your calories counted.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

:lol: I'm definitely doing it wrong. I'm a crappy rider. The guy who sold me the bike couldn't stop laughing at me when I took it for a test ride.

It didn't register in my pocket, so I'll try fastening it to my ankle tomorrow.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

If you have a Charge and haven't run the update yet, fyi ... it's a little buggy. They said it's better to run the update from a computer instead of a mobile app (of course, they said this AFTER I updated it :roll: ). One new feature is that the watch face will automatically light up when tapped. It took half the night for me to figure out why it kept lighting up. You can turn it off in settings, device, quick view. Mine is also not counting steps properly now. They told me how to reboot it, but I haven't had time yet today to try it.

Why fix something that wasn't broken??

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

One day a software engineer looked around the cubicleplex where he lived and decided he wanted a change. So he started browsing the revision control repository. He looked high and low in the versioning tree until he reached a high stream of caffeine that was impossible to get down from. He tried playing Pacman in the rec room and drinking water from the blue-ion fountain, but there was no way.

Suddenly he saw a beautiful piece of code. The code was well written and worked perfectly and the software engineer really wanted to work on it so as to get down from his caffeine high although he saw no way of improving it.

"Hello Mr Code," said the software engineer: "Mr Coffee is broken and Mr Pacman is lying in the corner of the rec room crying. Would you be so kind as to let me work you... I mean on^H^Hwith you?"

"I'm not sure, Mr Software Engineer," said the Code. "How do I know that you wont try to add some new features if I let you recompile me?"

"Because," said the software engineer: "If I cause a error and break you, I would get fired, for you see, I can not program!"

This logic seemed reasonable to the Code, so he agreed to let the software engineer download him. As the software engineer downloaded the code, he immediately saw an area that could be rewritten entirely so as to add a reverse palm to forehead swipe feature and save one line of code by combining the LED differential in the power diode with an ill-supported class he cut and pasted from stackexchange. He hit compile and immediately committed the code to the tree.

"Damnit, you noob! You borked me! Now I'll die and you'll be fired. Why did you do it?", the Code cried out in frustration.

"It's in my nature," said the software engineer.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The band is peeling away from the device. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm trying to figure out what kind of glue I should use to fix it.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Help. I'm not sure what to use to glue it back together.

Chad

Post by Chad »

What do you do to your Fitbits? You seem to be hard on them. :) Unfortunately, I would be just guessing about the best glue to use.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

heart rate monitors:
The writeups say you need the strap for exercise (like running) heart rates to be accurate.

I saw a guy yesterday swimming with one on. It didn't seem to impair him at all.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

As I was wrapping my son's broken finger, I was inspired ...

Obviously only a temporary solution, but at least I can wear it on the treadmill again.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The other side came off as well, so I contacted Fitbit. They are sending me a replacement (new fitbit, not new band) free of charge.

Of course it's what they should do, but it was still a pleasant surprise that they offered to replace it without giving me a hassle about it.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Replacing it is a better business practice than having people post pictures of their broken Fitbits online.... :?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

They gotta fix that rubber problem though I suppose it's asking a lot for a wristband(*) to be both cheap, comfortable, and durable. When DW's flex unit stopped responding, fitbit sent a replacement free of charge. Additional complaints about the flex charger, which is spring loaded and thus stops working after a while---a poor design---also resulted in a free charger replacement.

(*) Check out etsy and ebay OEM for other designs. Not sure if it's workable for the Charge, but for the Flex there are plenty of hipsterish options. DW crocheted her own wristband.

It seems that many of these "small/new"(*) American companies have top notch customer support (lifetime warranties in the literal sense without the usual legal shenanigans) and in our experience fitbit is certainly one of them.

(*) Dare I say, Millennial?!

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I really wanted to repair mine, even though they were willing to replace it. A replacement means I'm still 'consuming' another one, if you know what I mean. I hate the idea of just trashing the one I have. I'm holding it together with a produce rubber band at the moment, but that rubs me raw by the end of the day.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Oh, I know ... we actually gave away the replacement and kept using the decrepit version. However, I would gladly have paid 50% more for something durable. It seems though that everything electronic is supposed to be discarded after some 2-4 years of use. Recently, MSFT offered some rebate for "old" laptops if one were to buy a Windows X system. I was all riled up until I realized that Redmond considers >6 years to be too old and therefore I had nothing to send in... duh! Duh! Duh! Duh! Really, Bill?! :cry:

Yet, I also recognize the counterpart position. It's not like we're buying an eternal subscription. However! Too many products are manufactured with a lifespan of just a couple of years only to end up in landfills despite being 100% functional.

This is terrible!

It's too short.

GandK

Post by GandK »

I keep seeing advertisements for this Moov thing. (waterproof, fitness coach built in)

My Up2 meets my needs perfectly, so I won't be buying this, but I remember some of you were asking about waterproof alternatives.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I received my new fitbit on Monday ... and it won't hold a charge. I've been charging it 2x day. They had me try some things, and now they are sending me another one.

That puts the count at three fitbits. What's the carbon hit on that? I'll be hearing from Al Gore soon.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

So ... the next one they sent was the wrong size (small), so they sent yet another one. At least the latest one seems to be working.

That makes FOUR fitbits -- just to get my fat ass off the couch. *sigh*

Last edited by jennypenny on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

The latest one isn't working. The battery charge only lasts a couple of hours now. I used gorilla glue to put the first one back together since that one seems to have the best innards.

Fitbit is officially off my Christmas card list. I'm tempted to stop wearing it anyway after reading Future Crimes. :shock:

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Dead again. I charged up the replacement that was too small and stuck it in my pocket for now. I hate fitbit.

To be fair, my son has one and has never had any trouble with it. He's convinced I emit some strange electromagnetic energy that's messing it up.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

@JP, how are you getting on with the fitbit? I can't believe you have had 4 already... :lol:

Does anyone use a heart rate watch/fitness trackers for serious exercise (not just walking around!)? E.g. HIIT sprints, calisthenics etc?

I'm trying to get into a habit of committing to a set of body weight exercises when I get home from work and figured a gadget would replace some of the discipline that I have lacked in maintaining these regimes over the long term.

I suppose I could make my own health tracking spreadsheet, that might do the job.