Zarathustra's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Matty

Re: Zarathustra's Journal

Post by Matty »

I third C40 and thrifty++

You seem to be reaping the benefits of ERE from the get go. I hope to follow a similar path and it's helpful to read a real world example of someone who is living it. Thanks!

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

C40 wrote: . . . I didn't go through with any of it. I guess my introversion and desire for not having any one around to offend with sex parties trumped that :-P.

I admire your approach to FI (through skills, hobbies, smaller types of work, taking mini-retirements, etc.) It is much different than my "work 10+ years at the same company and pile up all the money and be bored as hell at the end" method.
SEX parties?!! :o :shock: :D :oops: ;)

I highly doubt you will be bored at the end any more than one should be. Boredom isn't necessarily a bad thing either. For more info check out the autonomous marxists. ANYWAYS

**UPDATE**

I've hesitated to post for the last few weeks, unsure if I wanted to share what happened, but yeah . . . I got hit by a car head on while riding my bike a few weeks ago. I spent some time in the hospital and have been recovering. I'm scheduled to return to work part time on this coming Monday.

It's been a really rough time on many levels but I am really REALLY glad the injuries weren't worse or fatal. There is always a lot to consider after any sort of traumatic experience, and I suppose this one kinda hit me hard. I may write more about it after all of this mess is worked out.

C40, when will you be coming through Portland? I know you're planning on 2016 to quit. I am pretty sure it is 2016 now. DO IT.

Maybe I will just get a van myself and tag along for awhile instead of this crazy pretend-homesteading. *shrug*

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

zarathustra wrote:
**UPDATE**

I've hesitated to post for the last few weeks, unsure if I wanted to share what happened, but yeah . . . I got hit by a car head on while riding my bike a few weeks ago. I spent some time in the hospital and have been recovering. I'm scheduled to return to work part time on this coming Monday.

It's been a really rough time on many levels but I am really REALLY glad the injuries weren't worse or fatal. There is always a lot to consider after any sort of traumatic experience, and I suppose this one kinda hit me hard. I may write more about it after all of this mess is worked out.
I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I've been through a similar experience. About 1.5 years ago I got hit by a mail truck who failed to stop at a stop sign while I was riding through an intersection with the right of way. Spent a lot of time in physical therapy and also in a lot of pain. The only advice I can give on the matter is to be patient both with your mind and your body. It takes a long time to recover from traumatic injury, and for me my mind got there a long time before my body did.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@zarathustra - Oh shit. Sounds serious. FWIW, the general sentiment with boating is that it's after your first near-death experience that you learn whether you're a sailor, biker, flyer, jumper, climber, etc. that is whether you're going to 'get out there' again. So even if it isn't physiological, it's still psychological too. Hopefully, it's not a problem but either way, it's all good.

@zarathustra & C40 - Ahh, get a room you two already ;-) :-D

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Very sorry to hear about your injuries, Z. Hope you recover soon.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Very sorry to hear that happened. I hope you are taking very good care of yourself. One thing I have learned is that it may prove helpful to realize something like "Wow. I am really feeling vulnerable.",own the feeling and examine its depth and perimeters , because then you will be better able to make the best decisions for future you.

Myakka

Post by Myakka »

Sorry to hear about your injuries, Z. Glad that it isn't life threatening and in time you'll likely recover.

On a related thorny issue, is there any ERE advice for unexpected medical bills especially in a country like the United States in which people routinely go bankrupt (and/or wish they could go bankrupt) paying for medical care?

Ego

Post by Ego »

That's terrible! In the hospital.... yikes! I'm sorry to hear you are hurting.

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

It's important to try to get a little win out of such a tragedy, for your mental state. I'm sure you dented their car a little.

zarathustra

Post by zarathustra »

:) Thank you everyone for the support!!

@Jacob, you better believe I'm getting back on a bike . . . I just have to get a new one now. I will have to check out all of those bicycle buying threads pretty soon.

I got green-lit today from my PT to start some stationary cycling. Super excited! I need those endorphins.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Wish you a speedy recovery! I'm doing a bike build pretty soon I hope to share in my journal soon, hopefully it can be helpful.

I just read your journal from the beginning. It seems like you were somewhat lonely in CA and now you've got multiple lovers in OR? Was this a big change? If so, do you attribute this to type of people in the locations? Change in living situation (living in van might be a challenge romantically), or maybe general change in your life outlook (post ERE confidence :D )?

GandK

Post by GandK »

I'm glad you're safe and recovering. Please keep us updated.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Great that you're on the path to mending!