Conspiracy theory you deem most likely to be true

Move along, nothing to see here!
Ego

Re: Conspiracy theory you deem most likely to be true

Post by Ego »

It seems like end-of-the-world ideas always seem to crop up in Sept-Oct-Nov. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that it is fall in the northern hemisphere when leaves are changing and gardens are dying. That everyday reminder of the inevitable leads to fear...

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jennypenny wrote:You wouldn't believe what else is in the mix that I didn't list because I don't want to offend anyone or derail the thread. A prepper friend and I have been watching all of this with fascination and a giant bowl of popcorn. That said, there's no denying that the last 10 days of September are chock-a-block with political events, and an incident during any one of them could ignite the hysteria you mentioned.
It's amazing what "abstinence from culture" can do....I had no idea the world was going to end this week! ;)

When it comes down to it, I often wonder what being informed about anything really does for us on an individual level. If you lived your life in complete vacuum from culture and what's going on around you and focused on your direct life and things that bring you joy and happiness....what would happen? {unless of course following these things brings you joy}

I hope to find out (more than I already have) in the coming years.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I spoke with an ex-girlfriend last week. Her husband is going camping for the Oct 1 period in case the world ends, because he truly believes it will, LOL [his favorite conspiracy theory is that Obama will declare martial law due to all the other crises so he can server a third term]. She, on the other hand, said, "Well if chaos is coming, then my role is to help folks. That's what emergency management is all about!"

unno2002

Post by unno2002 »

Opinion: Currency, debt, the economy, etc., is being manipulated not only to enrich the elite, but to destroy any "middle class".

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

GandK

Post by GandK »

:lol: What an awesome piece! I'd love to quote the whole thing, but redundancy. My favorite piece of snark was:
The premise of these discussion groups is that the government is all-powerful and evil and of course wants to suppress technology because they are in debt to the oil companies. And of course, the folks who think this, never worked for the government and don't realize how poorly it is run. Our government, on a good day, can barely conspire to make a cup of coffee, much less orchestrate a new world order.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

That entire blog is pretty much awesome.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Well, it's sundown here, so it's officially the start of Yom Kippur. I'm heading out to sit in a beach chair in the yard with my Mossberg and my tin foil hat to wait for TEOTWAWKI. It's been nice knowing y'all. ;)

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

And the Pope has landed and drove off in a suspicious looking Fiat after taking instructions from Obama on the tarmac at Andrews AFB.

Now where is that lunar eclipse?

Chad

Post by Chad »

GandK wrote:
The premise of these discussion groups is that the government is all-powerful and evil and of course wants to suppress technology because they are in debt to the oil companies.
The funny thing is that the people who think this turn right around and complain about the ineptness of the government concerning programs they are against. So, is the government all powerful/omniscient or is it inept? In reality, the government takes on very difficult and very grey problems with a massive number of variables that change often and aren't always measurable. This increases the perception of the actual ineptness that exists in government. Of course, private industry would not have any better luck with the majority of the problems government tries to solve, but it sounds good. It's much easier to sell shirts or put together computers than it is to tackle poverty, healthcare, patents, drug testing, foreign policy, etc.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Chad wrote:
GandK wrote:
The premise of these discussion groups is that the government is all-powerful and evil and of course wants to suppress technology because they are in debt to the oil companies.
The funny thing is that the people who think this turn right around and complain about the ineptness of the government concerning programs they are against. So, is the government all powerful/omniscient or is it inept?
More broadly, one of the tell-tale signs you are dealing with a form of propaganda generally (which is really what conspiracy theories are) is that the chosen "enemy" is described alternatively as inept, corrupt and/or all-powerful evil geniuses, depending upon the action or argument against the enemy that is being urged.

You can take out "government" and substitute "Al Quaeda", Saddam Hussein, the Republicans, the Democrats, the North Koreans, the XYZ corporation or any other "enemy of the week".

JL13

Post by JL13 »

That the elite's are systematically creating and promoting financial crises, job automation, and outsourcing to mitigate the environmental consequences of western middle-class consumerism.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Chad wrote:The funny thing is that the people who think this turn right around and complain about the ineptness of the government concerning programs they are against. So, is the government all powerful/omniscient or is it inept?
I dunno. I think the general ineptness of large organizations allows for pockets of really smart people to do some really sneaky stuff.

In other news, a Growing Number Believe California’s Drought Is A Government Conspiracy. As much as I love conspiracy theories, I've never really understood the buzz about contrails.

*sigh* Yom Kippur is over, and no apocalypse. If it doesn't come soon, I'll have to run out for more beer.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jennypenny wrote: In other news, a Growing Number Believe California’s Drought Is A Government Conspiracy. As much as I love conspiracy theories, I've never really understood the buzz about contrails.
As unlikely as it may seem, it is technically feasible to modify weather patterns over a regional area. If you can seed rain clouds, I'm sure someone has figured out how to stop them. :geek:

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

The conspiracy theory in most of these was who was responsible for it as opposed to natural causes:

https://www.rt.com/shows/documentary/31 ... on-people/
Last edited by fiby41 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

Subhash Chandra Bose, who organised the Indian National Army, dies from a plane crash and conspiracy theory is reported within hours of the news of the death.

Government of India has instituted three commissions of inquiry, two of which confirmed the death in the plane crash but the third stated that Bose faked his own death. This report was rejected by the government without citing any reasons.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

'Love Jihad'.
http://www.islam-watch.org/authors/73-b ... uslim.html

In Islam, a person of either sex marrying a Moslem has to convert first, along with a new firstname but talakh (divorce) or not, leaving the faith is punishable by death. The theory is this process has institutional support and gets encouragement.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb gives more examples.

fiby41

Post by fiby41 »

fiby41 wrote:Subhash Chandra Bose
There is renewed interest in this conspiracy theory as two days ago it was announced that 164 related secret files will be declassified.

Chad

Post by Chad »

This suggests the vast majority of conspiracy theories are bogus:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35411684

akratic

Post by akratic »

I'm not sure that this counts as a conspiracy theory, but I have my doubts about whether all types of recycling are worth it.

There's an environmental cost to transporting/processing recyclables that's often just plain ignored.

And there's a psychological cost with recycling that it's okay to generate a bunch of trash as long as you put it in the recycle bin. Nobody should feel like they are "saving the environment" by filling an entire recycling bin. :evil: