Master Gardener?

Fixing and making things, what tools to get and what skills to learn, ...
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Master Gardener?

Post by jacob »

I like the idea of learning local growing skills and serving as a resource for the community. I don't like the "continuing education" which seems like a racket to bring in more money for the edu-institutions.

Has anyone here found any value in the certification or process or being involved in this?

SurlyTroll

Re: Master Gardener?

Post by SurlyTroll »

My mother, a master garden in NY, certainly enjoys it... but I venture that her value is derived from the social aspects and the physical activity. My aunt, a master gardner in VA, runs a small personal gardening service that likely pays her a small salary... if nothing else she is able to have others fund her gardening hobby. They both speak highly of the master gardner programs, but were quite expert with decades of gardening experience before taking any of the classes.

Once I finish my PhD, I will likely pick up the certification here in Michigan. The cost is $300 for the three month program. While I would probably be able to learn most of the material covered through self directed study, the volunteer aspect of the program appeals to me. I am also a glutton for punishment and don't want to be without some sort of educational goal.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I looked into it. The Penn State program is great, but demanding. IIRC, they required 50 hours of volunteering every year to stay active in the program. They also weren't interested in teaching the candidates to be gardeners. They wanted people with experience who were ready to take it to the next level. Maybe IL's program is easier?

You could always attend workshops run by the MG program near you and chat up the lecturers to get a better idea of how demanding it is. Our county extension has some great workshops, and they are usually <$20.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Why not just breed a new strain of vegetable or fruit with useful properties, such as being fast growing, etc. Then you'd be a Real Master Gardener™, perhaps.

sky

Post by sky »

I think you can learn all you need to know from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/OneYardRevolution