snow_leopard's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
snow_leopard

Re: snow_leopard's journal

Post by snow_leopard »

Alright, I will sum up what’s been up with me for the last 15 months. The layoff and severance package from my job stuff happened. I just completed software engineering bootcamp that I was either in or preparing for since last August. They said it would be 20 hours a week, but that turned out to be the absolute minimum time commitment. I put looking for a new job on the back burner because I really wanted to focus on upgrading my skills and did not want to be on the computer 60-70 hours/week with a job and coursework (especially after just having done that during a masters). I felt like I would not have been competitive in the market without doing this course. About 40% of the students did not make it through either because it was too difficult, they realized it wasn’t for them, or their work and family obligations took priority (supposedly it is the hardest one to get into, and I think the school knows there is a certain attrition rate). I learned so much and it was generally great and extremely challenging learning experience. Data structures, algorithms, big O, testing, full stack dev, APIs, frontend libraries, experience with 4 databases, load and performance testing, cloud deployment, etc.

SO and I are going on a weeklong vacation and doing some hiking. After that I am going to be in full beast mode on the job hunt. Other than that I am starting to get back to playing music with friends and bouldering a little. I do feel like a bit of a lazy bum for not having had a job for so long, meanwhile my SO is working their tail off. That is probably me just being critical of myself and honestly I have pretty bad anxiety, I am going to start meditating to try to get a better hold on it (and also take a break from news and social media).

NW is $440K (including equity). I hadn’t really been watching my expenses that much. I have a year’s worth of emergency fund. So I’ll be taking a close look again and doing a mental reset. I have been in a transition phase in life and am ready to set some new goals and hammer out my new direction.